Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

pm_your_masterpiece t1_j1katqn wrote

That's why we give them billions in service fees and hand outs. Those bonuses are keeping them warm and fully powered.

westinghousesghost t1_j1kiy79 wrote

Meanwhile the Steelers are playing and the stadium is lit as bright as ever

IamSauerKraut t1_j1kun30 wrote

Interesting. In Nashville, the mayor asked the Titans to postpone their game due to the TVL instituting rolling blackouts in the area.

MildTile t1_j1m15s8 wrote

They’re LED and the stadium only sources about 1/4 of their power from the local grid.

−1

westinghousesghost t1_j1m2ls2 wrote

The point wasn't specifically about the lights, but rather that the stadium was operating in general. Even if they only get 1/4 of their power from the grid, it's a stadium and that's still a lot of power. Additionally, there's all the infrastructure that supports the game - transportation, broadcasting, local food/accommodations/etc. It's absolutely insane that they're allowed to host these games when people all across the county have no heat and people in six states are being told to only use what's absolutely necessary.

MildTile t1_j1m3cws wrote

…right. Sure because that’s feasible, but whatever makes you feel better.

−8

westinghousesghost t1_j1m725m wrote

Not sure what you're claiming isn't feasible because I didn't make any suggestions in my previous comment and you didn't quote anything.

But while we're talking about feasibility, here's one that I know would work: postpone the game until the energy emergency is resolved.

Fluffy_Dziner t1_j1nlzwe wrote

I totally get your point - but it’s not so easy to “just” postpone a major league game. There are a lot of moving parts and schedules to deal with.

MildTile t1_j1mxvz6 wrote

It’s a multi billion dollar industry supporting well over 1500 people just in Pittsburgh on game day. They had 11 other games played yesterday as well.

It’s a lot more than just let’s cancel the game until this is over.

You obviously have zero idea how any of this works.

But go ahead and cast your bullshit on the Steelers. You’re obviously so much more caring than the nfl and the Steelers

−6

Grimm2785 t1_j1ke8pz wrote

First energy keeps shutting plants down too. I worked at one for about 9 years as a contractor. I've also seen how they're losing employees from the plants that are still open because those employees are worried their plant will be the next one to go. They've even been talking about shutting down the nuke in beaver valley.

drxdrg08 t1_j1kt12l wrote

Remember the old days when environmentalists were trying to sink popular opinion about nuke power in the 80s? They succeeded.

Muronelkaz t1_j1l2paz wrote

More like Coal/Oil strangled it in through lobbying, and the environmental activists sometimes get blamed for not understanding technology of the day or technology outpacing them.

GTholla t1_j1mzlws wrote

let's see, who should we blame for nuclear power being shit on, hippies from 40 years ago, or oil and coal companies 🤔

^f^U^c^K^i^N ^t^R^e^E ^H^u^g^G^e^r^S

liverbird3 t1_j1l5hjn wrote

There was also that time a nuclear plant melted down within a few miles of the state capitol

but yeah blame shit on the people trying to keep the earth livable for the next generation

106473 t1_j1lm0nj wrote

Wasn't bad, and was managed properly.

Nuclear reactors now are hugely more efficient and safer than back then.

nss68 t1_j1m6vta wrote

Wasn't bad? They literally still hand out iodine tablets to the surrounding residences every year. This area has one of the highest rates of thyroid cancer and other thyroid issues in the country.

Espejo1753 t1_j1mq3nq wrote

Nuclear waste is the problem. It can't be considered more efficient as long as you have nuclear waste as by-product

Herr_Quattro t1_j1nll73 wrote

But it absolutely can. That radioactive waste is in some cases less toxic then coal ash. If we had fully committed to nuclear energy in the 50-70s, we could be 100% energy independent. And I still think it’ll be an incredibly important stepping stone to Fusion Reactors.

106473 t1_j1ol1fw wrote

And thorium reactors that that use waste

Irish_Blond_1964 t1_j1lzqtx wrote

You understand they haven’t built a new nuclear power plant since TMI, right?

−7

kowalski-analy5is t1_j1m0krr wrote

Tennessee opened one in 2016, and Georgia is building another one.

Atrocious_1 t1_j1n8dra wrote

Wow. What part of Pennsylvania are Tennessee and Georgia in

−5

Irish_Blond_1964 t1_j1m1b6f wrote

I stand corrected.Still not a long term solution.

−9

Entire-Job7656 t1_j1n5y6p wrote

Nuclear fusion, whenever it becomes viable, is undeniably the future like it or not. It will eventually be the main source of power for everything. Solar and wind may supplement on a local level, essentially people may use them like they use generators now, but there will never be massive wind and solar farms powering everything.

Even current fission is more likely to play a much bigger role to power the country than wind or solar in the long term. I have nothing against solar panels and windmills, but anyone who believes they could replace fossil fuels entirely or in large part is living in a fantasy. Especially since fusion has so many applications beyond just powering countries.

ktappe t1_j1mkrdc wrote

The French power their entire country safely with nuclear power, and I assure you they are far more environmentally conscious than we are.

BenderIsGreat64 t1_j1m003i wrote

Though they had good intentions, the anti-nuke crowd absolutely did more harm than good.

They should have pushed strictly for MORE solar and wind, not been AGAINST nuclear. There have been how many major nuclear accidents vs how many major fossil fuel accidents? When I was a kid, an oil tanker dumped well over 200k gallons of oil into the Delaware, or when the PES refinery blew up, almost gassing south Philly. How many abandoned coal mines are poisoning our waters?

Alfa505 t1_j1luovg wrote

Yeah wind and solar would fix this, smh

−6

mainelinerzzzzz t1_j1mnm56 wrote

During this latest storm there was not enough sun to produce any meaningful electricity and too much wind to run the turbines.

−4

Espejo1753 t1_j1mpuk2 wrote

Nuclear fusion, not fission is the future

HikerHal t1_j1niu0s wrote

I believe that the sky has giant fusion reactor transmitting gigajoules of power to the earth 24 hours a day.

Fluffy_Dziner t1_j1nlhr8 wrote

Yes, but the problem remains converting enough of it to usable energy and storing enough of it during good weather to keep the power on during long overcast periods like winter.

HikerHal t1_j1nm9p8 wrote

Winter is a hemispheric phenomenon.

IamSauerKraut t1_j1kug9c wrote

'twas in the 70's. And they were right. Nukes are going dark for a different reason, tho. Cannot compete with shale gas.

−40

drxdrg08 t1_j1kuyoo wrote

Fun fact: environmentalist groups that were targeting nuclear energy received money from big oil. They were in direct competition.

Nukes can't compete because they suffer from economies of scale. If there was more nuclear, it would be cheaper per unit built/operated. The world took a wrong turn here. Nuclear is a better source if one goes by facts not emotions.

NewAlexandria t1_j1kvu73 wrote

especially with breeder reactors and related modern designs

i'm sure we'll start to do it again after the people that can profit on fracing are finished profiting on fracing

Ganjaskate t1_j1kwlz6 wrote

Bro…I hate doing this and I’m not an English perfectionist by any stretch, but “fracing” is legit bothering me so much. Fracking. Lol.

flanny3365 t1_j1l2ejq wrote

I am an English perfectionist and he's right

106473 t1_j1lm77t wrote

Germany shut down all of their nuclear reactors because of environmentalists but it seems the environmentalists were paid by Russia, now Germany is reliant on fossil fuels from Russia and other countries.

They're trying to do the same for France but France has 80% of its energy from nuclear power.

IamSauerKraut t1_j1odxn3 wrote

>Germany shut down all of their nuclear reactors

Isar2 would like to have a word. Neckarwestheim and a couple others, too.

106473 t1_j1okv83 wrote

Thought they shutdown the majority?

IamSauerKraut t1_j1omlsz wrote

>Germany shut down all of their nuclear reactors

Majority =/= all.

IamSauerKraut t1_j1odmkg wrote

>Nuclear is a better source if one goes by facts not emotions.

Right. That's what they said before 1980 at TMI because all that was caused by emotions, not facts, same as in Chernobyl.

cardassianjazz t1_j1ktwv0 wrote

Talking about? I thought that was a done deal, I had friends that worked there saying they kept a skeleton crew on at huge wages to keep the plant running until the closure date.

RunningOnPunkTime t1_j1kw4az wrote

I thought they definitely were shutting it down in a few years. If I recall it's pretty old and out of date. But not replacing it is a terrible idea.

enemy_of_your_enema t1_j1n9kr1 wrote

Technically First Energy doesn't own power generation since deregulation separated distribution and generation companies. They have spun off companies like First Energy Solutions that actually are generators.

The coal and nuke plants keep shutting down because they are aging, expensive and can't compete with cheaper gas and renewables in the wholesale markets.

We could solve this shortage problem by incentivizing people to install battery storage and solar and giving them a way to share their stored power with the grid in exchange for money.

B-Eze t1_j1kan9z wrote

Is First Energy one of those new electrical suppliers scalping customers from the local power company?

Impressive_Bus11 t1_j1kf09g wrote

FE bought out 2 or 3 companies including West Penn Power years ago.

B-Eze t1_j1kffpw wrote

Good to know, which region of Pa does FE serve?

Impressive_Bus11 t1_j1khee8 wrote

Western PA. Not sure how much of it. They bought up at least 3 different companies.

Frehley75 t1_j1kiakp wrote

I’m in Cameron County and they service us. We’re pretty close to being central so they cover a decent chunk of PA.

Impressive_Bus11 t1_j1kj4k2 wrote

I'm in Westmoreland.

I'm sure they have a map on their site if anyone really cares.

Mac2925 t1_j1kzoro wrote

I have Penelec first energy in McKean county

Ganjaskate t1_j1kwpef wrote

In rural Berks. Basically my only option.

TheBrianiac t1_j1myxqo wrote

They're the only distributor but not the only supplier. Shop your electric rates.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_j1kekvc wrote

North power supplier not ppl up here, Penelec which is owned by first energy

B-Eze t1_j1kf5zk wrote

Oh ok, wasn't sure if it was one of those scammer companies. I received this email after seeing this post:

As our communities continue to experience frigid weather, PJM, the regional grid operator that includes PECO, has asked for consumers across its 13 states and DC to look for ways to safely conserve electricity until 10 a.m. tomorrow. If your health permits, please consider reducing the use of your electricity until 10 a.m. tomorrow. Conserving electricity as much as possible will help ensure adequate power supplies. Here are a few ways you can pitch in this holiday weekend:

Set your thermostat a few degrees lower, if its safe to do so

Postpone doing laundry or running dishwasher

Turn off lights and appliances when you don't need to use them

CharacterBrief9121 t1_j1kfcc6 wrote

Yeah that kind of thing is understandable the problem I have with first energy is the power is out every fucking month and I don’t get credits for when the power is out I might as well use the shit when I can

TheUltimateSalesman t1_j1l1j0h wrote

You need to file a complaint with the licensing authority in your state. That's all they listen to.

B-Eze t1_j1kfrtt wrote

Ouch that stinks, might as well.

B-Eze t1_j1kw3rl wrote

Appears to be the opposite, a monopoly in the west.

pa_bourbon t1_j1ngkp5 wrote

All electricity distribution is a monopoly. You can choose an alternate supplier, but the distribution network is expensive to build and maintain so it’s only built once for an area.

Same with water distribution and natural gas.

Dredly t1_j1k9p6e wrote

do you think it was an email targeted just to you? or are there a ton of people out there wearing shorts and tank tops in their 80 degree homes right now that they were trying to target, people who using a metric shitton of electric while some people conserve?

fryerandice t1_j1kfen7 wrote

I crank my heat way up before any winter storm, I generally keep my house at 63 and use a space heater in the room I am in, but before a storm like we had the past 2 days, I target 75.

If we lose power, the increased temperature inside my house allows me more time to do the tasks I need to do to protect my property and ensure my families comfort and safety.

Every winter I stock about 15 gallons of gasoline and 15 of kerosene, sterilize my 10 gallon food safe buckets for storing water, and dust off the "oh shit no power" checklist for storing water from the pipes and draining the house pipes etc. I have done one pennsylvania winter weekend in mid january without power or heat for 4 days, i'm not rawdogging it ever again, because sitting in the car to get warm for a little bit every day and not moving from a sleeping bag fucking sucked.

AFD_0 t1_j1kl2pg wrote

This. After spending an entire week without electricity or any heat in freezing cold weather a few years ago, we finally got a generator and now crank the heat up a bit right before a winter storm hits.

I'm not at all about "wasting energy", but I'm also not about letting my family and pets freeze while huddled over a boiling pot of water for our only source of heat (which is dangerous).

BirdBarista t1_j1kshmv wrote

I remember being without power during an ice storm for three days in my apartment in Chester County. Most miserable and cold experience of my life. My roommate had a pet bearded dragon and coincidentally worked at PetSmart at the time, and they got permission to keep their lizard at the store for the entire power outage because the poor thing needed its heat lamp to survive.

fryerandice t1_j1kyt5b wrote

Blanketing off a room and using a kerosene heater puts in work, they're cheap to buy and cheap to run. They can run on diesel as well if you can't find kerosene, although diesel costs more due to road taxes (especially in PA).

Downside is the smell and the soot that gets on everything, but if you really need the heat source, 10/10. They'll heat up a modest living room to the point you turn them off in 2 hours.

I use mine in the garage in the winter when i need to work on cars, I fire it up, eat breakfast, and by the time i get the car jacked up I am in a t-shirt and shorts with the garage door cracked open to cool it off.

Critical_Band5649 t1_j1kc066 wrote

Right? The PUC has asked everyone to conserve, aka avoid doing laundry or using other high energy appliances unless you have to and to turn your heat down lower than you normally do, health permitting. Same thing in the summer (except setting ac to a higher temperature than normal) to prevent blackouts during this extreme weather.

BeltfedOne OP t1_j1kd979 wrote

Fuck the PUC. They do not serve the consumers.

BeltfedOne OP t1_j1kd2l2 wrote

Did I say that? No, I didn't. And "those people" who probably drive electric cars and vigorously oppose any new generation facilities. Electricity has to be generated before it comes out of the wall.

−20

Dredly t1_j1kdsyn wrote

you did... you specifically said what you were doing and then were outraged that YOU would be asked to conserve power...

BeltfedOne OP t1_j1ke6vx wrote

Please show me where I used the word outraged.

−13

Dredly t1_j1kh31a wrote

>And I get an email from First Energy saying if I don't conserve electricity there may be managed blackouts. WTF?

does "WHAT THE FUCK" not count as outraged anymore? sure seems like outrage to me...

BeltfedOne OP t1_j1ki2x4 wrote

Well, you are apparently projecting. Goodnight and happy holidays.

−22

witqueen t1_j1kgzcb wrote

Got the same email from Peco tonight. Still power outages and asking to conserve electricity.

NerdyRedneck45 t1_j1ksm05 wrote

Look at this fancy pants getting up in the 60s

Character_Pound_8240 t1_j1k92iy wrote

Add a vest and scarf, snuggle under the quilts.

BeltfedOne OP t1_j1k9j3q wrote

I'm fine. I won't warm up the house until my kids get here tomorrow. I am just fed up with the rate increases and this kind of bullshit.

newworldman1070 t1_j1kaahh wrote

Do you have the ability to put in a wood stove in the future?

It’s a good bit of extra work, but I don’t have anyone dictating how warm my house can be.

BeltfedOne OP t1_j1kbahe wrote

I have a pellet stove in the basement and it contributes a lot but can't do everything. Unfortunately everything else is electric-combination of baseboard and a retrofitted heat pump for the former A/C only forced air system. Heat pump is done at these temperatures. A wood stove install may be in the future but would be a significant undertaking for a safe operation, and that kind of cash is hard to find right now.

hufarted-me t1_j1kje98 wrote

“Heat pump is done at these temperatures”

Ya know, I would’ve thought so too. Bought a house with a 17 year-old heat pump last December. I had to run my auxiliary heater one cold day this November (high 20’s), so I figured for sure I’d have to be managing that in the middle of the night during this cold. I’ll be damned but I haven’t had to run the auxiliary at all during this cold snap. Thermostat is perpetually set at 68°, and the old-ass heat pump is doing work.

BeltfedOne OP t1_j1kl0jq wrote

They recommended a heat strip in the air handler for when the heat pump can't work efficiently. I am glad that I had them put it in.

drxdrg08 t1_j1ku8c8 wrote

> for when the heat pump can't work efficiently

Not exactly. Heat pump efficiency is related to outside temps. It's gradual. The colder it is, the less efficient it is.

Heat pumps are sized for the space they need to heat. Installers can undersize a heat pump unit and you'll need to run electric strips when it's 40F outside. And they can size it so large that it will heat your house to 90F when it's -10F outside without any heat strips.

On top of sizing, newer heat pumps just work much better in extreme colds. Newer is better in this case.

Limp-Adhesiveness453 t1_j1kietb wrote

Mmmmmymmm capitalism, blame it on the consumer

drxdrg08 t1_j1kvi0l wrote

They are literally saving the consumer money by not building too much capacity. Extreme colds are extremely rare.

It's better for the consumer to sacrifice a little during 0.01% of the time and have cheaper energy the other 99.99% of the time.

−14

Sir_Lolz t1_j1kze8j wrote

I think most people will gladly pay a bit more so they don't get screwed that 0.01% of the time And if you think any of those savings are going to the consumer you're severely mistaken

OkConfection2617 t1_j1kmi56 wrote

Just got similar from PJM, which is the regional grid operator…including PECO. They want conservation until 10am tomm

Past-Pomelo-7386 t1_j1kak94 wrote

Personally I prefer a 63F indoor temp.

BeltfedOne OP t1_j1kcnbd wrote

I am fine on the cool side. But I get angry when I am hit with incessant rate increases for..."reasons" and I do everything possible to conserve.

Jasole37 t1_j1l0ml1 wrote

Lost power at 6am. Called up Met-Ed at 10. Got told that they'd have the power back on by Eleven.

PM

December 25th.

20 seconds after I hung up the phone my power came back on.

GravityzCatz t1_j1kxvfd wrote

Things like this make me glad that I have a oil furnace. Lots of downsides of an old oil furnace (like the cost of the oil), but I can keep my house warm with it even if the power goes out. I hooked it up to a battery bank and when it runs the blower it also charges the batteries. Its not a huge amount of capacity, but its enough that it can keep the thermostat on and kick the furnace on when it gets too low.

LowNo5584 t1_j1kl8f6 wrote

Your place is 63°? I'm in an 1880s built place. The insulation and windows suck so bad, I can barely maintain 55° to 60°>

KittenFace25 t1_j1ko5xf wrote

Just wanted to say I have that same weather sensor!

ruppert240 t1_j1mp113 wrote

We pay a lot in taxes as citizens, yet the government invests little in infrastructure most of the time (but always has boat loads of cash to feed the military), our energy is provided by companies who only care about the bottom line.

I'm all for doing something for the good of society but this is a case of lack of proper investment by the energy industry. yeah you have a right to be annoyed!

Blexcr0id t1_j1umle7 wrote

Republicans/conservatives have run the state legislature for 30+ years.

mtnlife991 t1_j1kptic wrote

You got that email too? We did with Met-Ed

buried_lede t1_j1l08xy wrote

Hi, I’m from out of state - was checking the national outage map and noticed that as of now, late Christmas Eve, in Tioga County, almost 100-percent of customers of Wellsboro Electric Co are still out of power. Anyone know anything about this company? (They also put out a request for customers to conserve energy. Lol)

https://poweroutage.us/area/county/762

danlib21 t1_j1le0vv wrote

Got the same email from PECO

hedgerow_hank t1_j1mvcr3 wrote

somewhat scary from a country wanting to be 'totally electric', huh?

AquilT27 t1_j1nrctl wrote

Might have to go part solar

Gold_and_Lead t1_j1kqz9r wrote

PPL pulling the same shit here. My elderly parents were without power over 30 hours. Still not staying on. Merry fucking Christmas.

I hope things turn for you soon!!

Ct-5736-Bladez t1_j1kv7nh wrote

My town’s mayor office sent out a message on Facebook relaying the the same message. Though in all fairness a few in town and surrounding areas did loose power with the Walmart loosing power resulting in all refrigerated and frozen food going bad. Thankfully the fire departments In town and close by have opened their doors for anyone in need.

RichRacc t1_j1l3vt3 wrote

Specifically you?

CoolHandMike t1_j1lbjo0 wrote

Didn't realize there was already a post about this. Posted a similar rant earlier. WTF indeed.

*edit Also I have the same temp monitor on my desk, currently reads 12 outside and 65 inside

Dry-Coyote540 t1_j1lua6h wrote

You sound like me. Jogging outfit, slipper socks & slippers, robe, heat set at 59 & I got that email too.

TentacledKangaroo t1_j1mj09j wrote

It's the grid transmission organization, not First Energy, it's a form letter that was sent out to everyone on the PLM grid.

scorpio7d t1_j1nb6mc wrote

We got the same email from them. I’ve got the same weather station by the way.

random1120861 t1_j1lf5rv wrote

So your heat is from electric? I've always had natural gas. Electric runs the blower for the furnace though.

DrMatashaMurrell t1_j1llu0j wrote

Gas furnaces require electricity to power on.

random1120861 t1_j1m19t8 wrote

I'm sure they all do. I would think the demand on the electric grid would be less if the main heat came from gas and not heat pumps and radiant heaters. We get temps like that all winter and never have problems with the electric grid. But also we have a whole lot less people. Either way green policies have consequences. Stay warm.

DrMatashaMurrell t1_j1m5m6a wrote

I think all electric companies were attempting to conserve energy during the storm.

CraWLee t1_j1kimlt wrote

Adams electric... You don't have to use what ever service you can always choose another...

−1

Joshgt2 t1_j1l1rwy wrote

Wow! They're rates are fantastic if you manage using off-peak tasks... Otherwise they're about on par with PPL's standard rate.

CraWLee t1_j1l37vh wrote

I don't get emails/letters about how much power I use was the point, the other point is that you're legally entitled to use a different company outside of your area/state.

truethoughtsgbg t1_j1lue8h wrote

No EV charging then.

−4

themakerofshoes t1_j1m0mzc wrote

HaR hAR eV bAd!

truethoughtsgbg t1_j28xx5c wrote

It is when electricity is either used for keeping a family from freezing or keeping a car charged.

themakerofshoes t1_j291zjy wrote

Lol, heating a house takes way more energy. Keep on hatin’.

truethoughtsgbg t1_j294cta wrote

Just ask all the people that died from the cold I'm sure they would agree too.

themakerofshoes t1_j294uf3 wrote

Yup, the incredibly small percentage of EVs on the road and not old heaters and inadequate insulation must have killed them. Refusing to understand things so we can hate them is fun!

[deleted] t1_j1krnae wrote

Lower the temp to 60F and throw on a blanket . We keep ours at 60 during winter and we all wear shorts in the house. You will get used to it. First works problems lol

−7

couchgodd t1_j1lvyqq wrote

Yea make sure you get yourself an electric car so they can tell you when you can and cant charge it. The future is bright…then dim…then blacked out…then bright again. Dont forget to mention expensive as well. Vote for Biden!

−7

themakerofshoes t1_j1m0ucj wrote

Most EVs can be set to charge during off peak hours.

How’s the artificial scarcity of oil and gas working for ya?

CSimmSF t1_j1l03tv wrote

Philly moment

−8

dr_shark t1_j1l3yc2 wrote

Philly can keep its power on though?

Kellerhoz89 t1_j1k9ssx wrote

…but we have enough electricity for electric cars. 🤔

−40

E_Pluribus_Omnom t1_j1kmsr2 wrote

People said the same thing about A/C and heating being installed in everyone's homes and businesses, I imagine you're not old enough to recall that.

Yet here we are, enjoying A/C and heat with electricity that scores of negative people said couldn't be adequately supplied.

It's all a matter of infrastructure, the energy sources and tech to create adequate electricity are there, the generation, storage and distribution is the expensive and long process.

Civilizations work best when there's a necessity, it's the only reason you have modern amenities.

themakerofshoes t1_j1ksct4 wrote

Ok boomer. Blame the very small percentage of cars that are EVs.

OccasionallyImmortal t1_j1l4984 wrote

It's not the current state that he's referring to, it's the push to electrify all vehicles as California has slated to complete by 2035 when they ban the sale of ICE vehicles.

This is generally okay, especially as I welcome electric cars, but we need the infrastructure to support it and what California, and now PA are experiencing are rolling blackouts.

For someone like myself who wants an electric car and would happily switch to a heat pump, these capacity issues are making it less appealing. It doesn't look feasible without a back up, especially as states reduce electric supply,

themakerofshoes t1_j1m06i3 wrote

Then what you’re both ignoring is that this will be a gradual transition, likely with many exemptions for certain vehicle needs. Also, how’s the artificial scarcity of oil working out for us?

Heat pumps are highly efficient within certain temperature ranges and many EVs can be set to charge during off-peak hours. Sure, we need more chargers in public places, but businesses that are smart about drawing customers will eventually understand the incentive to install them. Rest areas on highways will have more of them as well.

OccasionallyImmortal t1_j1mfd40 wrote

I complete agree. Things can improve that will make it more appealing. If plans are in place for those improvements, I wish they would be shared because all we're seeing is capacity reductions. Cars can be charged off-peak, except when we need them to be charged on-peak. If the plan is to wait for 6 hours until you can charge your car, people are going to cling to ICE or hybrids.