Submitted by Into_the_groove t3_11dewim in RhodeIsland

I get that Providence/Cranston/Warwick has the lion share of great places to eat. But what are the gems of south county? I just moved here, looking for the hidden gems nobody talks about. Also what are the over-rated places as well

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ChronicCumShots t1_ja8aqyn wrote

Jayd Bun is some of the best Chinese food in the state and potentially, New England. Pasquale’s is awesome, their pasta is great too, not just their pizza. It’s always al dente. Just a solid Italian restaurant. Neither of these are necessarily hidden gems though.

Sea View market makes a killer deli sandwich, size wise you get hooked up if you get a large, and has somehow barely been affected by inflation.

Quonnie Farms in Charlestown also makes a wicked good sandwich and has great pizza among other prepared foods.

Spain in Narragansett is one of the most overrated restaurants in the entire state imo. Not necessarily bad food, but not anywhere near the hype or price.

Matunuck oyster bar is usually really good but it’s $$$

pandataxi t1_ja8kifg wrote

South County has a ton of great restaurants.

Matunuck oyster bar is great seafood, and I think fairly priced for the quality of food you’re getting.

Bike stop in Narragansett has great pizza (and other non-pizza items).

Plum Pt Bistro is another good one.

externallyshrugging t1_ja91q2m wrote

Crazy Burger is amazing. Mews Tavern is really solid, I think they have 69 beers on tap

Yelling_Jellyfish t1_ja8bgm2 wrote

I like the Back 40 in North Kingstown. Food is good and interesting. They have a good beer selection too. Also feels like the only place open after 9:30 anymore.

I think the Cornerstone Pub in Exeter has food that's a cut above your typical bar fare.

In terms of overrated, I wish that I didn't feel ripped off every time I leave The Bridge in Westerly. It's such a great location that I want it to be worth it, but the bill at the end never really matches up to the experience.

Right across the way, though, it Bogue's Alley, a fantastic little deli, though technically it is across the state line in Pawcatuck.

Coincel_pro t1_ja8t128 wrote

Celestial Cafe in Exeter is solid and probably underappreciated / less known.

Pasquale's is also great for the pasta and pizza as someone else already mentioned.

Rathskeller in Charlestown isn't gonna blow you away but solid bar food and nice homemade chips. Heavy pours on the cocktails too most times and I've always had good service there. Probably not worth the trip down from PVD for given it's not offering anything amazingly unique but its a good spot for a burger. The fried fish sandwich is excellent btw, perfectly fried every time I've had it.

​

Back 40 in Exeter is also solid gastro-pub with some upscale bar food selection. Good cocktail and beer selection and its a big spacious clean space as well.

waninggib t1_ja8veya wrote

Plum Point Bistro on Boston Neck Rd is one of my favorite restaurants in RI in general.

I also really like Alma Juice Bar & Market in Wickford for breakfast/lunch too.

xxarcticxx t1_ja8kvv3 wrote

Two Ten Oyster Bar is excellent!

ConfusedintheNE t1_jaatj8w wrote

I don’t know why I keep going back when I’ve gotten food poisoning twice. The view is really nice

zalbinian t1_jaa5kfm wrote

Aturo Joe's in Narraganset has always been good. Great Italian and seafood selections. Chef specials are on point, had squid ink pasta there that was delicious.

insearchofthingz t1_ja9i7mr wrote

Plum Point does not disappoint. That place fucks

GrapeRello t1_ja9b7pe wrote

I wanna suggest the ocean mist as a place to go but it definitely has potential to be on the overrated list also. It’s a fun bar atmosphere right on the ocean. I love going for breakfast. It’s a good time as long as you don’t have your hopes too high. Some people overhype it. Also don’t go there on ticket Tuesday unless you’re in college lol.

wtd12 t1_jaabgsf wrote

Rathskeller

dglombardi t1_jaaeqpv wrote

The suggestions already here are good and I’ll add: Jim’s Dock (Jerusalem), the Breachway (Charlestown), Amigos (Westerly), Sa Tang (Wakefield), and Tate’s (Wickford). For breakfast or quicker stuff I’d suggest Sift (Watch Hill), Dave’s Coffee (Charlestown), Hungry Haven (Charlestown), BOL (Wakefield), Caf Bar (Wakefield), Bluebird Cafe (Wakefield). The Pub next to the Ocean Mist in Matunuck has become the more chill option with similar views.

FieryVegetables t1_jaahwaa wrote

Sift is excellent. That location in Watch Hill is seasonal, though. They are open in Mystic and Niantic CT the whole year.

dglombardi t1_jab2cws wrote

That reminds me, I meant to say there are definitely some gems in Mystic and Stonington that are worth exploring too!

ConfusedintheNE t1_jaatxb0 wrote

Unfortunately bol closed in Wakefield. Butterhead food truck is putting something new in that space. Bluebird cafe really does do a great classic breakfast, simple and flavorful

dglombardi t1_jab2imo wrote

Dang I’m actually not local so I didn’t know this! Bummer. My parents live in Charlestown and NK and many friends live in Gansett so I’m usually going out in S. County when I visit.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ja8btj1 wrote

On my list to try:

Champlins Galillee, Corner Thai Westerly, George’s Galilee (lobster), Moynihans Narragansett (lobster), Ocean Mist Matunick (view), Nordic Charlestown, Sly Fox Charlestown (chef award nominee), Thong Westerly, Too Charlestown (chef award nominee), Two Ten Oyster Bar Westerly, Willie’s Place Wakefield (take out and bottled cocktails).

ct1m t1_jaac3gd wrote

Plenty of good ones, but do yourself a favor and don't go to Monahans for lobster, many other options in the south end of town in Galilee do it better

wearydrifter t1_jaarn2s wrote

All of my suggestions I thought of have been posted here already..

​

Besides south county barbecue (food truck). When you can find them around its worth the stop