Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SuddenlySimple t1_iuhcq6b wrote

I'm not sure if the "yes" answer is correct because my step son is getting married this Wed. in the backyard ONLY because his girlfriend of MANY years...needs health insurance.

And I believe that if he could get her health insurance without marrying her he would.

Also, his Mother worked for the State of Rhode Island and his Mother really doesn't want him to be "married" to this girl.....because she will be the inheritor of all they have if something were to happen. And I know the Mother is not fond of this girl so if there were a way to get her on the Insurance without marriage, I would think this Mom would know about it....and they would not be getting married in her backyard tomorrow.

FuriouslyFurious007 t1_iuhdqdb wrote

I am telling you, I have BCBS and I was able to get my girlfriend onto my policy as a domestic partner.

SuddenlySimple t1_iuhgvt7 wrote

Cool. So possibly it depends on the insurance company. Because I know for a fact that my stepson would not marry her if he didn't feel like he HAD to....he literally told me this the other day....it was only for the health insurance.....

Zbofanaccount- OP t1_iuhwk1o wrote

And would I register her as my domestic partner when I enroll or do I need to do that beforehand

FuriouslyFurious007 t1_iui1j0q wrote

I don't know that, unfortunately. In my situation, I already had a BCBS plan and just added her to it.

Zbofanaccount- OP t1_iui23gf wrote

If you wouldn’t mind me asking was it during the open enrollment or was it qualified as a major life even somehow?

FuriouslyFurious007 t1_iui6day wrote

They were busting my balls about major life event, so had to wait till open enrollment.