Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

laterbacon t1_itvkuq4 wrote

I'm glad Wickford's failure didn't doom Pawtucket because that station is going to drastically change the landscape for me. I'm a 10 minute bike ride away from the Pawtucket station and I'm very excited about it coming online soon. Now they just need to increase the train frequency, but if I time it right I can get from my house in Lincoln to downtown Providence in under 20 minutes which is faster than driving most of the time especially when you take parking into account.

monkysandtools t1_itw01pv wrote

I really wish the MBTA could have re utilized the former Pawtucket Central Falls Station; yes, it would be too big per se for just commuter rail, but considering the floor space, commercial use would be ideal (almost like Star Market over the mass pike)

ToadScoper OP t1_itw1nqe wrote

From what I understand, they originally considered using the former Pawtucket Central Falls station site; however, the curvature of the NEC below the station could not accommodate modern standards for 800ft long platforms

laterbacon t1_itwfdus wrote

I do too but it's a minor miracle that it's still standing. IMO that building was doomed as soon as they built that CVS in front of it