Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

impact4 t1_iyowgh9 wrote

No lie, a similar scammer tried my grandma claiming he was me and needed bail money. She believed him until the dude started fake crying. She straight up believed I'd get arrested, but was positive there was no way I'd be a bitch about it. God I miss that woman.

brighty420 t1_iyoy07m wrote

Bbbaaahhhaaahhha that's fuckin awesome.

impact4 t1_iyp0j9r wrote

She was a true G. The lady taught me how to cheat taxes and play poker when I was a kid. Her little sister is doing 40 years for killing a fed witness. She also had a hell of a sweet tooth.

My favorite memory with her was taking her out to a restaurant for her birthday. She casually asked the waitress to "turn off this john mayer shit" because she didn't like the music being played by some local performers.

brighty420 t1_iyp2cce wrote

Ha ha, yea they don't make them like that anymore lol. My grandmother was part of that same don't take no shit, no filter, tell it how it is generation too. I sure as hell miss that shit.

spacebarstool t1_iyovd4g wrote

They called my elderly mother about my son being in jail. Scumbags. My mom didn't buy it.

Another person in town here in N. Smithfield had someone take voice clips from their daughter's tic tocs and recreated her 12 yo daughter saying she was kidnapped and needed money. It was very convincing and terrifying, but luckily they figured it out in time.

Bioluminescentllama t1_iyqpnlv wrote

I forgot what sub I was in and was like “wow n. smithfield is right near me; what are the odds?!?” Haha oh Rhode Island. :)

TotalDebate6050 OP t1_iyovkgm wrote

Oh my goodness that’s horrible i wish the cops could track the numbers

Alarmed_Nebula3917 t1_iyol21c wrote

Did the money go thru a money exchange app? Even it was something like cashapp it’s worth a shot to contact them and inform them about the fraud

TotalDebate6050 OP t1_iyol89y wrote

She texted me while she had them on the phone and I told her I was fine at work. They wanted it wired to them like a western union etc

CaribbeanCowgirl27 t1_iypjiyk wrote

They are not calling from Mexico… they are calling from the DR.

How do I know you might ask… I also got a scammer call AND I’m Dominican. Not that this changes anything or make me any proud 😔

TotalDebate6050 OP t1_iyol4tz wrote

No she did even get to that point she texted me while she had them on the phone and I confirmed I was still at work.

Desperate_Expert_952 t1_iypjklm wrote

Wicked common scam dating back a few years now. Get a populated list and dial. Throw poop against a wall. If the my pick the money up in person probably a Dominican criminal based organization if the “ransom” was digital or crypto probably Nigerian or Indian based. The phone number 99.999% is a VoIP which would come back to one of those countries

chaoticnormal t1_iyp8otj wrote

One called an elderly client of mine claiming to be grandson and gotten into a car accident needed money. Smart old lady asked her "grandson" what she goes by (nana, grandma, that sort of thing). When he got it wrong she hung up. It still worried her terribly and contacted the police.

somegridplayer t1_iyqhjke wrote

My dad got one of these a while ago.

He said keep him. ¯\(ツ)

Xalenn t1_iyq7oul wrote

Definitely a good idea to talk to your older family, anyone over 60 probably and explain these scams to them so they'll recognize them and not get scammed.

[deleted] t1_iyqv56z wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_iyqv7ep wrote

[removed]

−4

[deleted] t1_iyqvbof wrote

[removed]

radioflea t1_iyqyix1 wrote

Both of my parents would probably be bummed about the kidnapping but wish the kidnappers all the best and then just hang up.

“Good luck pal, you’ll need it. 😂

WetNetBet t1_iyr0agt wrote

I don’t remember the last I picked up a phone call. I don’t even pick up when its a person I know. I just text back, “did you call?”

notprivatepyle1 t1_iyqxxim wrote

Unfortunately, posting the number won't help. It's super easy to spoof a phone number and make it look like they're calling from whatever number they want. Like stupidly easy. Just Google "how to spoof a phone number", it's eye opening.

sarah_t420 t1_iyrtrfh wrote

Yeah my mom know me well enough to know i wouldnt survive the capture portion of the kidnapping id do something to make them kill me or just give up on taking me lmfao 🤣☠️

Beautiful-Page3135 t1_iypk44n wrote

The dreaded 401 area code from...Rhode Island. Now we know they're legit!