Submitted by spoobles t3_zfh585 in RhodeIsland

Hey Ocean Staters, quick question. I need to by some really good coffee beans for an XMas gift to someone who really knows their beans.

Where in the Providence area is the best place to buy high end coffee beans for expresso??

Thanks in advance.

WOW. Thanks, Coffee culturists! So many great choices. Looks like I'll have to pick up some from multiple places. r/RhodeIsland rocks.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RhodyChief t1_izbtgy1 wrote

Borealis in Riverside, hands down.

Dances_With_Cheese t1_izc3nja wrote

And now in Bristol too! They’ve got a liquor license and a much bigger space there.

RandomChurn t1_izbsbs8 wrote

Coffee Exchange

strombolone t1_izcr2wp wrote

Absolutely Coffee Exchange: they have a wide selection of different roasts and varieties/blends and can grind it however you like.

imuniqueaf t1_izdrl4t wrote

I was in there just grabbing a cup and I listened to the employee explaining all the types of beans to a person. They are super knowledgeable and the coffee is delicious.

Jerkeyjoe t1_izel1ma wrote

Definitely the place for a coffee gourmet. They have many many different blends and single origin coffees all roasted in house. they definitely know there stuff

___ongo___gablogian t1_izbsbjk wrote

Dave’s, Downeast, and Borealis are excellent but idk if they have espresso

SeaworthinessLeft88 t1_izc328n wrote

FYI for OP, any coffee bean can be used for espresso. Some coffee roasters will make an “espresso” blend, but you don’t need an espresso blend of coffee to make espresso. I typically use a medium dark roast. A less oily bean usually gives me a better pull, but it’s not necessarily required. A fresh roast also usually pulls better than one sitting on the shelf for months.

NerdGirlJess t1_ize1b97 wrote

Dave’s blend that they used in their espresso machines is Blind Pig.

InfiniteChicken t1_izbt4ar wrote

I think Borealis is currently doing the most consistent beans.

Brodyftw00 t1_izc20ic wrote

They are amazing! I also love Newharvest, and don't forget WeRoast in Lincon RI!

Ragnarok-611 t1_izbwgvf wrote

Coffee exchange on Wikenden st in providence.

anchoredinRI t1_izbueng wrote

In Newport but Simple Merchant is worth the drive

bueno_hombre t1_izbtz0g wrote

It's a drive, but I love Coastal Roasters in Tiverton.

summerchilde t1_izc2c97 wrote

Borealis. You'll want their Three Phase Espresso.

edit: All their coffees are good. You can have any one of them ground to espresso grind and make espresso with them.

Blackcoffee909 t1_izd0moo wrote

Bolt coffee, Borealis or New Harvest for sure. Also Simple Merchant is a multi roaster that always has some really good options

PoopDeScoopDeWoop t1_izebyrs wrote

Surprised I'm not seeing much mention of Bolt. They have some of the best light roasts (good for espresso) in the city, world class beans.

Pranay08 t1_izbtnly wrote

The Shop and Bolt are pretty good

sulbert137 t1_izc38hb wrote

Custom house in Middletown!

Tsp88 t1_izg3nwz wrote

1000% this. Best coffee in ri

Fetacheesed t1_izk021g wrote

I love the Ethiopian beans at custom house. I got the tanzanian once when the others were sold out and those were a bit of a dud.

They used to have a few samples up for tasting on the weekend pre-covid but that hasn't returned yet.

BingBong022 t1_izcspri wrote

New Harvest. This is the way

Tbear369 t1_izcwkgv wrote

TLC in west Kingston

Dr-Stink-Stank t1_izcyi4d wrote

Borealis or Coffee Exchange get my vote.

DukeNether t1_ize3llb wrote

Coastal Roasters Tiverton RI - .Coastal Gold Espresso

Best coffee hands down!

Sleuthiestofsleuths t1_izbwfy6 wrote

Cooper's Cask Coffee is the best coffee I've ever tasted - hands down! Their roastery is in East Greenwich, and the beans are ethically sourced and aged in whiskey and bourbon barrels (most of those are locally sourced too, from Sons of Liberty Whiskey in South Kingstown). I think they have gift sets too, so you can try each of the blends.

FormalAF t1_izcclhi wrote

I'm obsessed with Richard Alan Coffee. I'm pretty sure they make an espresso blend. Looking forward to trying some of these other suggestions though!

FartsArePoopsHonking t1_izcgwc2 wrote

It's Rhode Island, so obviously Dunkies. Not that one, go to the good Dunkies. You know the one.

Mdad1988 t1_izcrwoo wrote

autocrat coffee milk

holygrat t1_izcvikq wrote

If you’re looking for something more unique I roast from home just for myself and friends/family. Currently roasting a bag from the kayanza region of burundi. Really great for espresso. Happy to share would love the feedback.

BuntCarf t1_ize317v wrote

I think McDs still has the green mountain for you real coffee snobs out there!

SMTDSLT t1_ize0my8 wrote

You’re all a bunch of heathens. Here is what you do. Walk out your door, go to the road and look left, then look right. You just saw 5 Dunkin stores. Pick one.

−2

FrequentAnnual1262 t1_izcgvlm wrote

Whole Foods has a large selection of premium coffee beans...

−4