Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SharpCookie232 t1_j0o9aim wrote

Knowing what supports a child needs doesn't cripple the learning experience. Underfunding and the resulting understaffing cripple the system.

reddit_beats_chive t1_j0obz9v wrote

Problem is that every parent wants an IEP as soon as little Suzy doesn’t get an A. Therefore half the class gets one…CRIPPLING. Not talking about the actual children who need one.

SharpCookie232 t1_j0olp38 wrote

My experience with parents is that they avoid having their child put on an IEP if at all possible, even when it's not in the child's best interest. They don't want their child labeled and they don't want to admit there's a problem.

owsleythehunter t1_j0pbl78 wrote

Accommodations under a 504 Plan are not the same as services provided under an IEP. Though there could be accommodations provided for in an IEP. IEPs are not given out, and no parent wants their kid to have an IEP, but it’s what the child needs to access the curriculum.

reddit_beats_chive t1_j0pjre6 wrote

No parents want their kids to have an IEP ???? They may be your experience, but mine is completely different.

owsleythehunter t1_j0pmhxm wrote

I should say, in the absence of a clear need, no rational parent should want their kid to have an IEP.

TimeSlipperWHOOPS t1_j0pbaur wrote

So that almost never happens and when it does, we're giving that child what... extra time? Graphical organizers? Are these things that help them get an A? Then clearly they help the student.

If a student needs an accommodation to get an A, then the accommodation is justified.

ReggeMtyouN t1_j0pn3iv wrote

I would offer that there are an exploding number of 504 referrals and plans

TimeSlipperWHOOPS t1_j0poas4 wrote

And I would offer that this is because we are learning more about how to make education more accessible for a larger number of students.