Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SmackEh t1_ja7j4wu wrote

Everyone has something unique.

Nobody (literally) thinks exactly the same, because nobody has the exact same life experiences and the exact same education or the exact same personality or the exact same physiology.

RubyTavi OP t1_ja7jnb9 wrote

Every snowflake is unique, but they all have the same properties. A difference that makes no difference is no difference. Out of 8 billion people, an x percent (however small) will share your life experiences, education, and even personality and physiology.

SmackEh t1_ja7l2k6 wrote

Every difference makes a difference.

Even your opinion right now (even though it's wrong) allows us to have this very discussion... a discussion that has merit.

HowWeDoingTodayHive t1_ja8k726 wrote

How exactly is their opinion wrong? Yeah you can order cheese pizza every single day for every single meal, from the same exact place, and while every one of those pizzas is “different”, I’d wager you would get sick of it before very long because it all tastes the same. The differences between each individual pizza is really not enough to care about.

LiamTheHuman t1_ja90y6d wrote

The way I see it you guys are arguing the two sides of the scale but haven't said where the balance is for each of you.

If everyone is not unique then at what point do the differences stop mattering for you?

RubyTavi OP t1_ja7tb9l wrote

I would posit that x number of people out of 8 billion have has the same thought I posted...and that it is less wrong than you think.

−4

Zucc-ya-mom t1_ja8d2sq wrote

But they didn’t. You were the one to post this.

RubyTavi OP t1_ja8i6k4 wrote

I said had the same thought...not posted it.

Every time I have had a comment to make in a thread I have scrolled through and found out someone else has said it. There is nothing miraculously unique about me or my thoughts.

−3

Zucc-ya-mom t1_ja8ji2h wrote

>I said had the same thought...not posted it.

Which makes you… unique.

Crazy to think that you share at least 99% of your genome with every human to ever exist, yet you were the one to post this.

RubyTavi OP t1_ja8qwjk wrote

I was just the first. (Maybe. I haven't checked the archives.) And now maybe the next person won't because I already did.

−1

LiamTheHuman t1_ja91b3e wrote

Exactly. So because we only see your comment, we know you are the only one who had the thought to post it and then did. This makes you unique.

Giovanni01234 t1_ja82grf wrote

Anyone can realize that but realizing that you are unique is harder because you must learn to love yourself first

• a stranger who thinks about suicide everyday yet it knows love is the way

RubyTavi OP t1_ja8il3r wrote

I don't think you have to be unique to love yourself. But I am thankful every day that no matter how dark my periodic depressions, I have never actually wanted to die. Keep up the good fight!!

Giovanni01234 t1_ja8lznr wrote

Being unique or feeling unique is subjective and it depends in the confidence of oneself you have a line of ancestry wich comes from the beggining of humanity i think that makes you unique.

RubyTavi OP t1_ja8qnn8 wrote

But we all do...so how does that make anyone unique?

LiamTheHuman t1_ja91fy1 wrote

Because each person has a different path along the lineage.

Giovanni01234 t1_jabuycj wrote

Existence itself is unique, you are the universe experiencing itself, being here is a miracle whether you like your life or not

RubyTavi OP t1_jac7myp wrote

But again, that is something that is common to all of us, not unique to me. (And I love my life, it's great.)

RubyTavi OP t1_ja9tfdm wrote

There was a comment or two in my notifications that I wanted to respond to but when I try to view or reply it's empty. Just wanted you to know that I'm not deliberately ignoring you! Don't know why I can't see all.

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_ja7h35m wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

Paradise_Princess t1_jaaiv17 wrote

I loved finally coming to this realization. I’ll never be famous, invent anything, or do anything that special… and that’s just fine! I always felt pressured to “become someone” growing up, and finally about age 23-24 I realized I was just normal, and that’s completely ok.

RubyTavi OP t1_jaakbtp wrote

Yes, exactly! And sometimes it's a comfort to think, I am not the only person who has experienced something (hence: support groups), or that the fate of the world does not rest upon some insight that only I have had.

I felt better once I began to understand large numbers and realized just how unlikely it was that out of 8 billion people, I should just happen to have been the one born to be the best or only whatever.

odd_neighbour t1_jac0z19 wrote

I’m quite unique on my insistence that all pranks can be improved through the use of either shrimp paste, strong parmesan cheese, or mayonnaise.

I have many enemies, and HR all like taking me for coffee to hear about my jokes.

RubyTavi OP t1_jac7zqp wrote

I would agree that certainly you are extremely rare. But out of 8 billion people, there is still a possibility that you are not unique in this. ;)