Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_ja39n8v wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

UnedibleHulk t1_ja3eitp wrote

For clarity, when a bird shits on your jacket, just because it's white does NOT mean it's creampieing while flying...

lightknight7777 t1_ja3r9wh wrote

The cloaca is not an anus. It is a distinct orifice. "Anal" implies "anus".

So, I would argue that no bird sex is anal or vaginal. It's all cloacal.

Liamiamliam2 t1_ja3ujvx wrote

I've been watching Bottom a lot lately and thought you meant girls

FooBarU2 t1_ja40c6n wrote

by the way, fellow mammals: kangaroos and opossums have the same plumbing.. i.e., they too, have cochleas

DeadHED t1_ja460ln wrote

Shitting, passing and fucking all in the same whole just sounds convenient really.

DisconnectedThoughts t1_ja48kk8 wrote

OP could have spent 1 minute to Google how birds reproduce to determine this wasnt even remotely close.

I really need to lower my expectations of people.

LittleFairyOfDeath t1_ja49q4e wrote

As others have pointed out they have a cloaca so anal would not apply.

But that doesn’t matter because you made think about this and for that i hate you

lightknight7777 t1_ja4ed7f wrote

It's the tissue from all 3 tracks. In no way can you just claim It's the anus or the vagina or the urinary tract. It is distinct from any of the three it is a merging of. A cloaca is not an anus.

That's why there's a distinct term from anus for it.

bangladeshiswamphen t1_ja4hr96 wrote

Some people think about really dumb, very inaccurate things in the shower.

DrInsomnia t1_ja4ifqr wrote

There's a distinct term for it because it serves more than one function. But it developmentally starts as the anal opening, and continues to serve as the anus in an adult. This is really all semantics, but from a developmental biology standpoint it is an anus that has acquired other functionality.

Edit to add, from the Wiki link: "In deuterostomes, the original dent becomes the anus, while the gut eventually tunnels through the embryo until it reaches the other side, forming an opening that becomes the mouth."

Vertebrates are deuterostomes. In bird development, that original "anus" becomes the cloaca.

playr_4 t1_ja4iz0c wrote

I just love how most of the posts on showerthoughts are just completely wrong.

DrInsomnia t1_ja4j8ck wrote

Yes. And a cloaca is an anus that has taken on additional functionality in some groups. In fact, in mammals the original mammalian ancestor likely had a cloaca, which split into separate openings (in some derived groups). But embryologically it all starts with the anus.

FooBarU2 t1_ja4qnxl wrote

FYI, and as I am sure you know, mammals that have the dual plumbing ports (for liquid and solids... #1 and #2 respectively LOL) are called placental mammals.

And marsupial is the other referenced my my post along with odd monotremes which are how duck billed platypuses are categorized.