Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

zstandig t1_j6r3tov wrote

Don't tease us with a hyperdrive

Jacob_MacAbre t1_j6rm8b8 wrote

Well, they aren't teasing us. Renewables have, despite everything going on the world, being growing exponentially for the last 12 years. And it's only getting faster thanks to Putin trying to fuck with Ukraine.
It doesn't look like much because doubling of 0.0001% is nothing to be excited about. But, we are getting to the stage where renewables are now the preferred new power source because they're cheaper and have a higher rate of return investment.
Legacy systems (fossil fuel plants and some nuclear) are being deactivated rather quickly. Scotland, for example, closed and demolished it's last coal-fired power station a few years ago and we have such a surplus of energy we're actively helping keep the lights on in England.
I think there's room for some (cautious) optimism about our energy future. Same with food production in terms of artificial fermentation, 'vat grown' meat and vertical or indoor farming (hydroponics, aquaponics, agrivoltaics as well).

These things aren't going to be adopted because they're going to save the world (which is the morally right reason to do so) but because they're cheaper, more efficient and require less risk on the part of the people investing in them. Our main issues around renewables are reliable, long-term storage and sourcing the materials required to make them. Even then there's all kinds of cool progress in material science that's helping those things move along as well.

And sorry for this mini-TED talk of a reply :P

nataliepineapple t1_j6sn70h wrote

I think they were referring to a hyperdrive from science fiction, i.e. faster-than-light travel

FenrisGreyhame t1_j6su2u0 wrote

They were, but this was so wholesome to read that I don't mind.