Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_itpyvet wrote

[deleted]

InSanic13 t1_itriof7 wrote

I'm personally holding out for lab-grown meat, which I imagine will at least fix the nutrition, and will hopefully fix the price if it gets big.

[deleted] t1_itrskup wrote

[deleted]

Kate090996 t1_iu2zn7o wrote

That's not true, most shifted from fetal bovine serum, one example is Mosa Meat, they excluded a animal products from the process since 2019. It was extremely expensive anyway.

WeirdDogLadyIsHere t1_itttpjq wrote

I'm a vegetarian. In the beginning it was more expensive because I relied on those "fake meats" or substitutes to make all the same meals that I used to make in the exact same way, but now that I've learned how to cook vegetarian meals without always using them, it's actually cheaper. For example I make tacos with black beans (actually delicious with the right spices) instead of fake minced meat, or pita bread with halloumi instead of fake chicken. It takes some time and trial and error to learn, but in the end my meals have ended up relying way more on vegetables than the standard piece of meat with some kind of sauce and pasta/rice/potatoes and in the process I have become healthier. I definitely think you're right though, those processed fake meats have way too much salt and are too expensive, and because people think you need those to be a vegetarian, it makes it seem less appealing.

RaycharlesN t1_itr9lh2 wrote

I thought this too, then I did it. I went vegan for like a year and lost 30lbs without really exercising. I ate all sorts of fake meats and still lost weight. I like to eat meat so I fell off the wagon but going plant based was healthy, I could tell.

[deleted] t1_itrhmud wrote

[deleted]

RaycharlesN t1_itrxqjm wrote

Oh I know what you mean, I did lose weight and that is a very big boost to your health (if you’re overweight).. but they’re not really a healthful food. I have actually read that a pescatarian diet is the diet that is connected to the longest life expectancy..

Electrical-Bed8577 t1_ittuqez wrote

Yes, too bad the Ranchers down the river decimated the Pacific NW Salmon so that they could have the water.

SlipS321 t1_itq69sb wrote

Its in the early adopter phase so overpriced, not as good as it is will be. Should get better soon depending on the pickup.

ActualMis t1_itqceb1 wrote

It seems like the reverse is true. Heavily processed, manufactured foods tend to be high in fats and sugars to try and make up for the lack of flavour. Companies chase profits, not nutrition, so relying on for-profit companies to concoct healthy meat-free alternatives may not be the best game plan.

SlipS321 t1_itqfy8m wrote

Alternative?

If you talk in such generalities it is misleading. For instance, I could say unprocessed foods tend to kill more people over time or lead to serious illness.

Is that useful, specific or relevant? No and neither were your comments.

You have to view this in context, these are meat alternatives. You don’t need to believe that they will be perfect to believe they will be a good option.

If you want to create new super foods whole cloth outside of capitalism and convince everyone to eat them more power to you. I think the project of reducing harm in the current system is worthwhile.

−4

ActualMis t1_itqg2tx wrote

> No and neither were your comments.

Try and stay polite, if you are able.