Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DutchLudovicus t1_iu0m2mv wrote

How does this sub even work? Rules are pretty unclear and arbitrary. Who decides what is 'uplifting news'? (Mods?) It seems like an echo chamber for a hive mind, in which there can be no discussions.

−14

Mach12gamer t1_iu188ff wrote

Please explain how this wouldn’t be uplifting news.

DutchLudovicus t1_iu3ew60 wrote

I had a question how this subreddit works. My personal opinion was not that relevant, as I could have picked anorher topic on this subreddit to ask this question.

But you are dying for my personal take, which again has little to do with my question. I am in favor of marriage being in line with the unitive and procreative aspects it entails. And if it does not fulfill these criteria than there is no marriage to begin with. It is akin to start calling penguins, zebras. Does it bother me, yeah a bit, a penguin is not a zebra. But than again if majority would like it, than that is what majority rule entails. But I wouldn't applaud another country to change their own fundamental understanding of words into things it by definition could not be. As a penguin could never be a zebra. And a SSM could never be unitive and procreative in intent. Well I supose people could want to change definitions of words, but in my book, that's not how words ought to work. Want to use a word to mean something new/different adapt a new word for it.

But again I wasn't dying to give my opinion on this topic, or on any other topic. I just wanted to know how this subreddit even works. Which quite frankly is still unclear.

Mach12gamer t1_iu3ktzo wrote

Crazy how the “just asking questions” crowd always turns out to be bigoted. Fun fact buddy: people have been having kids long, long before marriage was invented (for primarily monetary and political reasons). Thanks for not lying about being a homophobe though, makes it so much quicker.

Throwaway00000000028 t1_iu1g6ly wrote

If you don't think it's uplifting, just cast your downvote and move on. Clearly the vast majority of people agree that legalizing same-sex marriage is a good thing.

It's not a hivemind. The purpose of this sub isn't to debate what is or isn't uplifting.

DutchLudovicus t1_iu3dwxu wrote

I was just asking how this sub even works, I expected a reply someone explaining this subreddit.