Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

trabbler t1_iuwd9u9 wrote

I simply cannot understand why this is not a major headline around the world.

Jwombat t1_iuwfxi0 wrote

It is a major headline though? Not sure how much more attention you want than every major news outlet covering the story

trabbler t1_iuwh3e1 wrote

Maybe it's just my news feed, but I'm seeing netanyahu elected, then Pakistan PM shot and leg, some crap about Biden, Ukraine nuclear power plant without power, the Russia's economy, hurricane Martin, the quality of New Delhi's air?? Turkeys inflation, Germany's deal with China, something else about the stampede in Seoul, and finally a story from the guardian on the end of the Ethiopian civil war.

Anyway, I'm very very happy to hear the news that this conflict is winding down. This has been one of the most horrific atrocities of the 21st century so far.

SeattleBasedENT t1_iux74y7 wrote

The west has a habit of instigating conflict in Africa and not reporting about it back home.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/12/1027183677/cia-role-in-africa-expanded-as-u-s-cold-war-worries-grew-white-malice-details

Tony2Punch t1_iuyuz3y wrote

Like the fact that there is an ongoing war in the DRC that has more life lost than WWII should speak volumes to the fact that minerals and precious metals are still being extracted there and sent overseas without any interruption.

People often roll their eyes at "The west is bad" narrative, but there has to be some EV companies(Every car manufacturer world wide) bankrolling warlords there to guarantee there is no logistical issues.

terraclara t1_iuz5axa wrote

On Google News, it's the second headline under "World" for me, right under Netanyahu.

Doctor__Hammer t1_iuwhhmj wrote

I’m not seeing it in the headlines of any of my sources... US outlets or foreign

kytheon t1_iuxo2x0 wrote

Go watch Euronews, it was in the 10m news block.

One_Hand_Smith t1_iuyfk9j wrote

Don't think you looked really hard, some googling shows new york times, washington post, and wall street journal.

Those were the only 3 I looked for and all 3 had articles. I think I can safely say with a 3 out of 3, every major newspaper covered it.

Doctor__Hammer t1_iuyl3rk wrote

I didn’t say they didn’t have articles, I said it wasn’t in headlines

Scrubologist t1_iuxl7q9 wrote

Stop it, you know why.

kytheon t1_iuxnwr5 wrote

Bullshit. It was featured on the European news today. Dunno about US news, they might care more about sports and entertainment.

[deleted] t1_iuy2392 wrote

[removed]

kytheon t1_iuy3aod wrote

As a European, Ukraine is a LOT closer to my home than Ethiopia.

SamYeager1907 t1_iuyrniu wrote

As a Euro, yes, but as an American, it's 6,000 vs 8,000 miles, so basically both are far away.

Europe isn't playing nearly as big of a role in the direct conflict itself as US is, despite being closer.

Moreover, reddit users are majority American, then Canadian, British and Aussie. I've also seen different stats that show US, then Australia, then India, then Philippines and then the rest in far smaller amounts under 10mil.

MotoSlava t1_iuyt4h6 wrote

We’re not talking about simply by distance but also by cultural association. American culture and Ukrainian culture, while vastly different, are much more sympathetic to one another than that of either nation and any in Africa.

Claiming this isn’t a major headline for racism (which you refuse to outright say because it’s so ridiculous) is just false.

The war in Ukraine is world news because it’s against a nuclear superpower with massive ramifications for the entire fucking planet. The Tigray doesn’t have nearly the same level of consequence, sorry.

Electrical_Nobody349 t1_iuy6k1d wrote

Maybe because the largest country on Earth attacked largest country in Europe and blackmailing everyone around with: nuclear weapons and nuclear catastrophe, and with gas supply, and attacking other sovereign nations, and with blocking Ukrainian port, which supplies Ethiopia with food, too? You know, there are dozens of thousand square kilometres of MY COUNTRY occupied, there's been hundreds of warcrimes commited by ruZZia, unknown, but huge amount of CIVILIANS dead and an entire cities don't exist anymore. I understand what are you feeling because in the past 8 months I read so much bullshit about my country, my people, my culture and language... I personally know about war in Ethiopia, since around 2021, I've seen it in news and YouTube documentaries. But there's a reason why everything about Ukraine, mate. I am glad that hostilities are going to an end in your country and I can't wish anything, but peace to you and your people.

hand287 t1_iuydix3 wrote

> the largest country on Earth attacked largest country in Europe

TIL russia invaded russia

Electrical_Nobody349 t1_iuzxa31 wrote

Indeed poor wording on my behalf. Ukraine is biggest European country, excluding russia. Bigger then France and etc. Would've been much better for literally everyone if russia actually invaded russia.

Cloudyarabia t1_iuyr8dh wrote

Aye, this guy is unhinged.

I have seen plenty from Ethiopia over the past two years - our news feeds are curated - if you click on a post about Tigray once, you’ll continue to see it, if you don’t engage you won’t see as much. I consume a lot more content about the political, social and economic environment in China, US, Ukraine; I have less interest in eithiopia, that doesn’t make me a bad person, I just have things that I would rather allocate my time to reading.

omegaphallic t1_iuyi5og wrote

This is literally the first I've heard about a war in the Tigray region. Worthless MSM. I'm glad they are making peace.

dynex811 t1_iuys9ur wrote

Well that's on you because it's been in the news and it's been on the Wikipedia news story section. If you haven't heard about it you likely aren't clicking the sections on news websites that specify the part of the globe.

dynex811 t1_iuysuz5 wrote

You being invested in the events doesn't make you an authority on everyone in the world's news coverage. Do you know where they live? Where I live? How can you possibly cover every outlet and know who's talking about it or not. Don't just take your anger out on people here.

Significant-Oil-8793 t1_iuyp26j wrote

Because of psyops.

US and Europe want people to remember the war so that people will support continued military supplies there. If not, people will eventually go against the war and they don't want that as collapsing Russia have been the goal since post-WW2

−1

lying_Iiar t1_iuxzom0 wrote

Because most of the world doesn't give a shit. Even people here. Look at this, 6 hours old, 14 comments.

Look what they're upvoting in this sub. They're signaling what's important to them.

−2