Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ASK_IF_IM_PENGUIN t1_ixiev0g wrote

This is damn awesome no matter which way you look at it.

Well done him.

Skyblacker t1_ixj469r wrote

Not only does this open astronauting to disabled people, but also commercial space flight -- which will have to accommodate the general population before it becomes mainstream. Not just people in peak physical condition (even this disabled astronaut is a para athlete whose vitals are probably top notch), but Grandma with the pace maker and Aunt who's pregnant and Nephew who's a small child.

albatross1873 t1_ixjms3i wrote

Most of these conditions would prevent you from riding a rollercoaster. To say that it would prevent the technology from becoming mainstream is a little shortsighted.

Skyblacker t1_ixjo0yt wrote

Most people also don't ride roller coasters. Anything that's only open to the healthiest part of the adult population will be a fringe mode of transport.

Just look at bicycling: If there are flat routes away from most car traffic that link residential to commercial districts, the entire family will go out on bicycles for everyday errands, and the roads will be full of bicyclists. But if the only route between home and errand is a multi-lane stroad where any pedestrian or bicyclist takes their life in their own hand? Expect to only see a young single man occasionally.

twotwo_twentytwo OP t1_ixicej1 wrote

For those unable to read the article due to a paywall:

PARIS, Nov 23 (Reuters) - The European Space Agency on Wednesday named the first ever "parastronaut" in a major step towards allowing people with physical disabilities to work and live in space.

The 22-nation agency said it had selected former British Paralympic sprinter John McFall as part of a new generation of 17 recruits picked for astronaut training.

He will take part in a feasibility study designed to allow ESA to assess the conditions needed for people with disabilities to take part in future missions.

"It's been quite a whirlwind experience, given that as an amputee, I'd never thought that being an astronaut was a possibility, so excitement was a huge emotion," McFall said in an interview posted on ESA's website.

He will join five new career astronauts and 11 reserves in training after ESA replenished its astronaut ranks for the first time since 2009.

ESA posted openings last year for people fully capable of passing its usual stringent psychological, cognitive and other tests who are only prevented from becoming astronauts due to the constraints of existing hardware in light of their disability.

It received 257 applications for the role of astronaut with a disability, a parallel role that it terms "parastronaut".

Disability equality charity Scope described his selection as "a major leap forward".

"Better representation of disabled people in influential roles will really help improve attitudes and break down the barriers that many disabled people face today," the charity's Head of Communications, Alison Kerry, said.

Following a motorcycle accident that led to his right leg being amputated at the age of 19, McFall went on to win the 100-metres Bronze Medal at the Beijing Paralympic Games in 2008.

The 31-year-old doctor will help ESA engineers design changes in hardware needed to open professional spaceflight to a wider group of qualified candidates, the agency said.

"I think the message that I would give to future generations is that science is for everyone and space travel hopefully can be for everyone," McFall said.

GFere t1_ixj0pwp wrote

Gattaca

Utterlybored t1_ixiy7vx wrote

Good thing his disability isn’t extreme claustrophobia.

WhamBamRudderham t1_ixinwpv wrote

So....an astronaut.

evanc3 t1_ixiu9ay wrote

It's important that he's disabled though. He will be doing work specifically on accommodating disabilities and the implications.

In some situations it might "not matter", but here it's part of the qualifications for the position.

vcvcf1896 t1_ixik12s wrote

Lmfao did he not have a name already?

farnsworthiness t1_ixj99zg wrote

Lower launch weight. :D

Plus legs are in the way or unneeded in zero g.

MaximilianCrichton t1_iy78e9g wrote

Even better, no legs means you consume less oxygen, water, food, etc. which is a lessened burden on the life support system

Southern-Falcon9657 t1_ixij4t5 wrote

I wonder how the parents felt about not getting to pick the name

ThePalmIsle t1_ixiobg7 wrote

There really out to be a Guinness style book of these absurd Reddit Firsts for the people who get off on these things

Wishdog2049 t1_ixjhopf wrote

From what I understand of the 1960s astronauts, a lot of them intentionally were chosen because they were emotionally detached from reality. This is kind of a plot point, I suppose, in the movie Ad Astra.

T0WERM0NKEY t1_ixkq2fo wrote

I bet going to space would be incredible for paralyzed people.

AutoModerator t1_ixicb5z wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

BurningPenguin t1_ixihv9b wrote

Now I wonder how someone without any legs would deal with low gravity. Is it better or worse?

Knuckles316 t1_ixipl8x wrote

Did they not already have a name?! How did they fill out the paperwork to become an astronaut?

DeeIceBerg t1_ixj91mq wrote

Damn he didn't have a name until now thats crazy

Spangaer t1_ixjlnm6 wrote

Why couldn't his parents have named him... Surely Europe has enough on its plate.

Bakemi t1_ixjn8ue wrote

They vent with a simple name, Stevestronaut.

errolstafford t1_ixkp879 wrote

is disabled the best word choice for this?

He's certainly more able than me to be an astronaut.

ames54 t1_ixj6dpy wrote

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs in space?

MeteorOnMars t1_ixjfum5 wrote

I bet he is quite abled, actually.

Waluigi4prez t1_ixmj461 wrote

Hes just happy hes not being called Disabled Astronaut anymore

Sad-Row8676 t1_ixj02yn wrote

So ppl with disabilities can be astronauts now. But I can't bc I'm only 5ft tall? Fuck short ppl I guess.

−1

Ewreckk t1_ixisgzv wrote

Not really disabled anymore once there’s no gravity..legs are just in the way at that point

−6

evanc3 t1_ixitye3 wrote

That's not remotely true. Your legs are by far the largest moving masses on your body. Super useful for orientation

davidgrayPhotography t1_ixk48lm wrote

Try going into a pool and moving around with just your arms. I know it's not quite the same, but you'll find that with the exception of swimming around, you use your legs to push off from walls, control your rotation and such.

In other words, just because you don't walk in space doesn't mean you don't use your legs.