Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j0689zy wrote

[deleted]

enraged768 t1_j06bwxk wrote

I honestly didn't expect to see so many child, teen, and baby killers in that list ffs.

fatherbowie t1_j06wshi wrote

Sometimes, people get wrongfully convicted for killing children.

enraged768 t1_j06xjh5 wrote

Sometimes maybe, sometimes though there's some pretty damning evidence.

fatherbowie t1_j06xs09 wrote

Sometimes people are guilty, and sometimes other people are just convinced they’re guilty when they’re actually innocent. Too often it’s impossible to tell the difference.

enraged768 t1_j06xyj8 wrote

Sometimes people shoot up entire schools and get arrested with video captured of the event and hundreds of eye witness accounts. You know shit like that probably deserves the death penalty.

fatherbowie t1_j06z365 wrote

Wow, states should just hire you to tell them who really deserves the death penalty.

enraged768 t1_j06zbpa wrote

You're likely more kind than I am. So I'd whole heartedly recommend you or most people over myself to decide. But thankfully we have judges for that.

seaworthy-sieve t1_j07g6zz wrote

Kindness is a choice. You can choose to be kind, don't act like it's beyond you.

−2

enraged768 t1_j07h5fu wrote

Of course it is. I never said it wasn't. I didn't say I wasn't kind I said he was likely more kind than I am. And you can base that off our comment thread. I'm for capital punishment when someone's caught red handed killing children. He isn't for it. So based of that he likely has a kinder soul than I. But if someone killed my kids I'd want them dead.

seaworthy-sieve t1_j07i81g wrote

There is no world in which everyone agrees when exactly state sanctioned murder is acceptable. You say, when they're caught red handed killing children. Someone else says, DNA evidence of child sexual abuse. Someone else says, convicted of a subjectively particularly brutal crime.

Do you see how the line will never be sharp if it is permitted at all for the state to murder citizens?

I think convicted people serving a life sentence should have the option of consensual medical assistance in dying. But to force that is always inhumane. Also, in reality executions are not smooth deaths. Being shot in the head would be more dignified than the experimental, often drawn-out and downright torturous murders done to those people through lethal injections.

How many innocent people are you willing to watch be tortured to death in order to be able to have someone else enact your vengeance for you? 10? 100? How many?

enraged768 t1_j07lxq7 wrote

If they're innocent, and they didn't kill anyone i say zero. If they were caught red handed killing my children or your children which idk if you have any and convicted I'd be willing to do it myself. I wouldnt need someone to do it for me. I'll watch in the same room. Also I agree a bullet is better than injection. Fuck em. Do you have children of your own?

seaworthy-sieve t1_j07mk42 wrote

The point is that innocent people do die when murder is state sanctioned. Yes, some guilty people die, but innocent people are inevitably murdered as well.

What if your child grows up and is one day wrongfully convicted and given the death penalty? Would you be okay with that, as long as it means the real child killers are also being murdered?

Cheap_Cheap77 t1_j06zrfn wrote

The problem is there is no distinction in the law between red handed guilty and kinda maybe guilty.

enraged768 t1_j0702eg wrote

That doesn't mean there can't be. I know the laws in my state are revised every year. I don't know if that's the same in every state though.

Pandalite t1_j06z8qi wrote

It's also pragmatic, it's actually cheaper to keep someone in prison for life than it is to put them to death. Cost of appeals and public defenders etc. And there's a saying- better for 99 evil people to go free than one innocent be harmed.

Bekiala t1_j07b4d3 wrote

This is how I think too. It is just too expensive to put them to death as well as giving government too much power.

Often the death penalty seems to be pushed because of human anger at the horrific crimes of these people. I understand that but I don't think it is the best basis for establishing policy.

BurningOasis t1_j09lb78 wrote

>as giving government too much power.

Ding ding ding

State sanctioned murder is not ok! Maybe another few thousands years of human history and we'll figure that one out.

Bekiala t1_j09q3n9 wrote

>Ding ding ding

Thanks. I was needing a bit of positive reinforcement today.

Cheap_Cheap77 t1_j06zk15 wrote

There is a big difference between what someone deserves and what you should give the state the power to do

lessquiet t1_j07a1cw wrote

Nah. Let them rot in a tiny cell. Murder isn't justice.

PatrenzoK t1_j072g65 wrote

“I’m not saying killing people is just but we should kill these people” lol great opinion