Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThatTinyGameCubeDisc t1_j3q7kes wrote

I find this depressing on many levels

ubeogesh t1_j3qo57f wrote

depressing that 82 yo has to work (if he worked because he liked it - he probably wouldn't retire)

EyeShartedDripDrip t1_j3rbgbg wrote

And working that job may be helping him stay alive so far. I sure hope he finds something to do to stay active.

barsoapguy t1_j3tss7g wrote

They probably wouldn’t have given him 100K if he kept working lol

XxBatman357xX t1_j3qzz6s wrote

To be fair, we don’t know the full story behind why he couldn’t retire early. Was it due to unforeseen emergency spending? Or just lack of saving for retirement?

−26

Cheetahs_never_win t1_j3r2fhb wrote

Personally, I plan to work through retirement simply because studies show you live longer and better when you challenge your body and mind.

Now, as a Walmart greeter? Not so much. But maybe if it's in location with people who are nice to old people.

Prunestand t1_j3si3f6 wrote

> Was it due to unforeseen emergency spending? Or just lack of saving for retirement?

Ah yes, it is the victim's fault.

SizzlerWA t1_j3uu9k4 wrote

I’m also against victim blaming but how do you know the 82 year old is a victim? Or are you responding to this commenter’s lack of curiosity about other potential causes besides the two they gave?

−5

LazyMe420 t1_j3uwwbr wrote

He's an elderly man being forced to work to make ends meat in a first world country in the supposed civilized world.
I know it might be hard for some Americans or American-minded people to comprehend this, but the true value of a society is displayed by how it treats it's weakest members.
He's not only a victim of a cruel society, but also an exemplary sign of it's sickness and self-destructiveness.

SizzlerWA t1_j3ux9wi wrote

Ok, you didn’t really answer my question IMHO but it’s not worth debating. I hope he enjoys some happiness and travels now.

−3

LazyMe420 t1_j3uyzkm wrote

I did in fact answer your question, you may just be unable to comprehend the implications of an old man being forced to work because of that very same self-destructive mindset.

In civilized society the situation makes him a victim by default.

M4DM1ND t1_j3ska3r wrote

Yeah this is great for this guy but there are hundreds if not thousands in the same position. I worked Walmart management after college for two years and we had two associates in their 80s and a few in their 70s. I know at least one of them was just bored in retirement and worked a couple days a week but the others just couldn't retire. A sad reality of the society we've created.

PeeB4uGoToBed t1_j3tdr34 wrote

My previous job third shift stocking at a grocery store we had a guy in his mid to late 70s who was retired from a trucking company AND the airforce but still chose to work. He was bored and we think he hated his wife and didn't want to be at home

focus503 t1_j3umf05 wrote

We're a nation of 300 million. There are many thousands of these and soon to be tens of millions after the GOP ends social security for those under 55.

spelingexpurt t1_j3stg2a wrote

Feel good stories that actually hide what a dystopian we live in

kreukle t1_j3qmpf6 wrote

>All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

"All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban."

nitrohigito t1_j3qnunn wrote

I think they could use a single quotes version as well, I'm not confident you got through.