Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Soph-Calamintha t1_iswhgeh wrote

They should be charged severely. Kind warnings and ads do not seem to be working in preventing these devastating fires. This affects hundreds of thousands of human lives, from evacuations to unsafe breathing conditions, not to mention the animal and fauna lost. These people need serious, serious jail time.

rontrussler58 t1_iswx9uj wrote

Studies have shown that greater enforcement of rules leads to compliance better than stiffer punishments. So hiring more rangers is better than harshly punishing the one very unlucky person we actually catch.

Soph-Calamintha t1_iszfyla wrote

Interesting! I still think there should be some accountability. Maybe more training/permitting? I hate limiting folks access to lands but the consequences of irresponsible camping are really severe in this area. Totally agree on more rangers/high pay for rangers, but that obviously involves more taxes/red tape which no one wants to seem to pay for :/

WplusM1 t1_iswp8rk wrote

At this point if you told me they were going to lock their asses up for life, I'd be all for it.

Soph-Calamintha t1_iszg4zv wrote

Fingers crossed that this front we have coming in this weekend saves us. Today has been one of the worst days. I’m not even high risk but I felt sick to my stomach and got a headache from just letting my pup outside.

Afro_Samurai t1_it002qv wrote

Should probably wait for more then a blurry cell phone video before we round up a mob and storm the jail.