Submitted by teacher_comp t3_y96fy4 in Washington

I pay twenty cents per message so this is costing me over a dollar a day. I talked to someone on her campaign, and they said it would take six to twelves weeks to get it to stop. I never signed up for anything with her, never gave her money, and never gave them my phone number. They send from different numbers so I can’t block them. Help. Murray is costing me money.

Edit: since then I received a MMS from Murray. Those cost 30 cents each.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Dad-Bod-Supreme t1_it524fj wrote

What's really concerning is people still pay PER text message?

Careless-Internet-63 t1_it5r6n3 wrote

This is what I'm trying to figure out. I think it was about a decade ago last time I had a phone plan that didn't have unlimited texting included, I didn't realize they still existed

simplyvelo t1_it5ssk9 wrote

They don’t get Karen’s Dinner either, so I think you can guess the rest.

Visual_Collar_8893 t1_it3u5v6 wrote

Try responding with STOP. Service providers are required to stop sending you messages.

I've been getting them from Tiffany Smiley and haven't got another since.

simplyvelo t1_it3y0p9 wrote

This is the answer, if they don’t comply they can lose access to the carrier.

intrepidated t1_it41smp wrote

For me it's Tiffany Smiley. Every damn day, 4-6 messages. I get unlimited text and they get picked up by T-Mobile spam blocker, so no impacts. But just to show this is not a party-specific thing, and should be outright illegal for all of them.

(Sorry, this meant to go on the main thread)

KittyBizkit t1_it4z68g wrote

I am getting a LOT of spam from Republican candidates in particular. Some are so unhinged and detached from reality that its scary to think that they even have a chance to be elected. The mailers I keep getting often are alarming by the positions they are taking.

I sincerely hope that all of their efforts backfire on them and they don't pick up any more support.

MaintainThePeace t1_it670h5 wrote

Me too, I only get them from Smiley.

The first one seems resonable, but then after that, someone let the crazy out.

I can't fathom who their target audience is, and how these may somehow get them new voters and not losing voters.

KittyBizkit t1_it67q3c wrote

I have lost faith in humanity after seeing Trump get elected and how people STILL worship him even after Jan 6. People are easily brainwashed by the constant propaganda they are fed by the conservative media outlets. We need to figure out how to deprogram them somehow. I am afraid that it may not be possible though since many are so far gone. Convincing someone that they are wrong and getting them to accept that fact is extremely difficult because humans aren’t rational creatures much of the time.

botwiash t1_it5dc1v wrote

I moved recently and after registering to vote at my new address all I get in the mail is republican propaganda and their smear campaigns of democrats.

It's a good way to know who not to vote for I guess. Even if I didn't care about politics and voted randomly they would annoy me enough to make sure I'd never vote for them with all the spam.

KittyBizkit t1_it5er97 wrote

I got one the other day that was trying to smear the democrat for supporting abortion as if that was a bad thing. I was confused for a while as to which candidate actually sent it out because I saw it as pro-democrat, which is absolutely NOT what they had intended it to be.

botwiash t1_it5tu9g wrote

I think I've gotten that same one at least 3 times

OzzieSlim t1_it5dtgz wrote

Me too. And I answer every one with my opinion on her since they go through. I want to know which corporations sold our phone lists to these idiots. Not GOPQ and never have been.

SparrowAgnew t1_it4mtyr wrote

There are still phone plans that charge per text?

ChickenBootty t1_it51059 wrote

Could be worse, I’m getting the Tiffany Smily ones.

FrontButtPunt t1_it40haf wrote

Yeah, they're coming through from every political party. Does your phone or provider have a Text Spam blocker?

[deleted] t1_it4d2vn wrote

That's what I use from T-Mobile and I don't see anything from anyone.

thejohnandco t1_it4z12u wrote

What's really cool is if you moved here from a different state so you have a different area code you get them from your old state and your new state

nextbraup t1_it55tl9 wrote

Reply STOP and that should take you off their list, I was getting them non-stop from Tiffany Smiley and screaming at my phone every time lol. If that doesn’t work and you have an iPhone you can delete the conversation from your main messages screen and it will ask if you want to Report Junk and that will take care of it for sure.

carrieinacan t1_it5ksb3 wrote

I texted them back "8====D'" when someone named Brian Setzler for Portland City Auditor messaged me, and they replied "nice" and left me alone after hahaha.

scooterpet t1_it5fwmi wrote

I got one from Tiffany Smily and just typed “stop”. Hopefully worked.

ford7885 t1_it9rf6f wrote

Too bad we can't stop her ridiculous TV commercials. I only have to endure them when I'm watching football games, but that's still two days a week too much.

poopiedrawers007 t1_it5y8jn wrote

I think someone is lying and I doubt they are sending many texts.

I’m calling bullshit on this.

[deleted] t1_it4czn9 wrote

Who did you speak to in the campaign?

Petya2022 t1_it53z76 wrote

They think I still live in Florida

TriangleMan85 t1_it59rh3 wrote

You could get t-mobile and never get reception anywhere. That aught to fix it. 🤣

crumblednewman t1_it3u70i wrote

You can't block the number?

teacher_comp OP t1_it4bgc6 wrote

You can’t block a lot of the text services like Amazon SNS since they use so many different source phone numbers.

socceriife t1_it5jr84 wrote

Can we help you get a normal phone plan so you don’t have to worry about crap like this?

Eat_Carbs_OD t1_it5jrim wrote

You should be able to block the number.

Montu_Walks t1_it5y8tu wrote

I find the non-stop political ads on YouTube aggravating. Via my desktop, I have all the ad-blockers in place, but when I use the YouTube app on my phone I get ads -which I didn't have a problem with seeing, I usually wait until they play through, but many of the political ads are just alarmist and stupid.

BetsyBoomBreath t1_it6ewwc wrote

I get the same from both campaigns of Murray and Smiley. I have marked both as SPAM on my phone so it's blocked. Not sure if that solves the cost per text issue

wolf1moon t1_it4ojrr wrote

I wonder if they're actually phishing emails. I've donated but don't get much in text from parties. Would be a clever phishing scheme if they have a link.

hanafraud t1_it5e2du wrote

Reply STOP and then put your number on the “do not call” list. If after 30 days you’re still receiving texts, you can report her to the FCC and they will fine her.

MaintainThePeace t1_it65ncp wrote

The "do not call list" does not apply to:

-political calls

-charitable calls

-debt collection calls

-purely informational calls

-surveys

hanafraud t1_it6xs35 wrote

TIL. That sucks that it doesn’t apply to political calls.

btweeks t1_it5lht4 wrote

Martin Sheen keeps texting me!

SirYOLOBaggins t1_it62q43 wrote

The Robokiller app has a spam text blocking feature. Seems to work well for me

Pogchamp_Mcpoggers t1_it66wfn wrote

Don’t pay such an outrageous amount to send what is basically an e-mail from your phone.

Similar_Sail_6987 t1_it6hfag wrote

I’ve been getting them from Tiffany Smiley. The last one included the video of her in front of Starbucks on Capitol Hill.

I responded with “I’d rather shove a sandpaper dildo up my asshole than have to listen to Tiffany Smiley bitch about one Starbucks closing ever again” and somehow i haven’t received any more.

I don’t pay twenty cents a message, but if i did it would be twenty cents well spent.

wounderfulwaffles t1_it6kc5b wrote

Spam is targeted to your preference. That is for your convenience so you can see what “you want”…. Now bow down and lap it up

bakarac t1_it6ldp9 wrote

Spam and block.

Smiley has sent me maybe 5 messages from different numbers. I hate her more every day! What a load of crap

Gwtheyrn t1_it6u9pn wrote

I used to get them from the Smiley campaign 4-6 times a day.

hedshrinkar_ t1_it7hxj6 wrote

I do not open them and delete right away.

Pleasant_Area_8102 t1_it5l7bk wrote

Just enough time to connect what they can before the time frame is up huh. Wow trying to get milk from the cow but they're really are wanting blood from a turnip.

−1

[deleted] t1_it5eqdo wrote

[deleted]

−10

MaintainThePeace t1_it66gb3 wrote

I only get them from Smiley, so don't vote that direction, because that wont fix it either.

justpickituplease t1_it539h4 wrote

Don't vote for her . If everyone does it she will go away

−13

UncommonSense12345 t1_it4nt9h wrote

Murray has cost you more than 30 cents a text with the “inflation reduction act” haha. Inflation has gone up since its passage, and usually government spending increases inflation rather than the opposite. That’s like if I passed a “household savings bill” that involved me spending 10,000$ and adding to my debt. Very wise marketing by politicians to spin another spending bill as a way to lower inflation…. Gotta love politicians all they do is spend other peoples money to appease the people who donated to their campaign and to guarantee themselves a nice “advisor” or “lobbyist” job once they do eventually lose election.

Before the Reddit crowd roasts me for not towing the dem line. I also believe the GOP does the same exact stuff and I’m not endorsing a certain candidate or party over the other. Both just play the blame game and spend more than the budget and try to appease special interest groups. I’m just trying to point out that while the text scam is ridiculous and borderline harassment we have other problems as well that are less directly felt that in fact cost us lots of money that we don’t notice directly (ie poor energy policy that makes us reliant on the wills of dictatorships overseas while we could become energy independent with both fossil fuel drilling and green energy).

−20

MetalShaper68 t1_it41er6 wrote

Well hopefully she gets Voted Out, so nobody has to hear from her again

−30

Adseg5 t1_it3sli7 wrote

Yeah, vote her out in November.

−46

NewAmericaGreeter t1_it3t1pr wrote

You’re not good at this.

Isn’t there s cloud somewhere you should be yelling at?

drew1010101 t1_it573ju wrote

And replace her with what? A moronic MAGA clown who moved 8 times?