Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

amberjasminelee t1_iufcnb4 wrote

I was hiking with a bunch of friends at Snoqualmie Falls a few years ago when one of the guys, who was drunk, went off the path. The trail we were taking was a decline and took us to the bottom of the falls. While this guy was making his own path, he lost his footing, causing him to slide the rest of the way down, and because he was where he shouldn't have been, he ended up going over a 40 foot cliff, very quickly, and landing on the very large river rocks below.

This guy was 22, was in the area because he was training in the Army at Fort Lewis, and had a very bright future.

He crushed 3 vertebrae, punctured a lung, broke both ankles, and his right leg. He did survive, probably because he was young and healthy, but he was discharged from the military, had to relearn how to walk, and will only ever walk with a cane or walker.

TLDR: Hiking paths are there for a reason...

Bard_B0t t1_iug5733 wrote

Yea, I spend most my time hiking off trail. I grew up in the Olympics and my family forages for mushrooms and berries. The difference though, is I avoid cliffs and falls like the plague. I route my paths very carefully, and always run calculations on what will happen if I slip and fall or a support gives away.
Going off trail near a cliff, especially near water, especially with a sliding slope, is just foolishness.

When I climb hills, I often spend several moments analyzing the hillside, looking for animal trails, or for anything that feels off. In hundreds of hours off trailing, worst that's happened is I slipped on some moss and fell on my butt.

Anonynominous t1_iuffpcz wrote

Well, that's depressing.

Also, the real issue here is alcohol

Edit: must be a lot of alcoholics in denial downvoting me

−66

sepphoric t1_iufp8jh wrote

Ironically, it may have saved him too. He probably ragdolled on his fall rather than trying to brace himself and avoided other injuries.

Anonynominous t1_iug43ze wrote

What would have prevented the whole thing is not hiking while drunk

−8

JstVisitingThsPlanet t1_iug5iei wrote

Not necessarily. He may have made the same decision of sober.

Anonynominous t1_iug6h7o wrote

Being drunk certainly doesn't fucking help the situation though. Is everyone disagreeing with me drunk right now?

−15

deja_vuvuzela t1_iugbi5c wrote

I think you underestimate how dumb a lot of people are even when they’re sober.

lilyluvish t1_iugui05 wrote

The fact that your comment is upvoted and Anonynominous’s is downvoted just further supports your position.

−1

holmgangCore t1_iugfipn wrote

Irregardless of anyone’s place on the smart——dumb gradient, being noticeably drunk introduces additional mental & physical disadvantages, & increases the chance of accidents. I mean, of course, right?

−3

deja_vuvuzela t1_iugh1pa wrote

The heavily downvoted comment said that alcohol was the problem. Ofc alcohol didn’t help the situation - just like most situations. I’m just saying sober people can make devastatingly dumb choices too (ffs, especially young men).

Humbugwombat t1_iugtj66 wrote

As the father of a teenage boy, who was once a teenage boy himself, I endorse this point!

ApneaAddict t1_iug97vz wrote

No, it’s dumbassery. Plenty of people drink responsible.

chigy_bungus t1_iug50vr wrote

Lol @ the downvotes on this comment. News flash, alcohol makes people do stupid things.

St_Kevin_ t1_iugfdzq wrote

News flash: some people drink and don’t do stupid things! It is not the alcohol. The responsibility lies with the drinker and only the drinker. Alcohol is never an excuse.

Azuriahm t1_iughdv9 wrote

This is dumb. Alcohol does make you more likely to do stupid things. In medical terminology alcohol “impairs judgement”. What do you think that means?

Enchanting_Smith t1_iugoseg wrote

I can't believe what I'm reading on some of these comments... alcohol is never to blame? How can one make a sound decision if they've had too much? I am SO disturbed lmao.

chigy_bungus t1_iugiajd wrote

Uhhh yeah alcohol makes people do stupid things. You’re ignorant if you think otherwise.

Enchanting_Smith t1_iugovml wrote

This makes literally no sense if you're actually drunk how are you for certain you can make a wise decision in the moment and it isn't even just about decision making how are you supposed to be completely in control of your body?

−1

Enchanting_Smith t1_iugon1z wrote

I have no idea why people are downvoting you for saying alcohol was the issue. It actually disturbs me how many are willing to say that he could have just as easily made the mistake sober as he did drunk. There is no way to know that, but being drunk absolutely is the blame for the incident to some extent with its disadvantages. Reddit downvotes me make worry very often.

Humbugwombat t1_iufnfpa wrote

My father-in-law made a career out of maintaining trails at national parks. He has loads of “people need to realize they’re not at Disneyland” stories.

Kessynder t1_iugg452 wrote

Well call him up and give us a few. WTF is with this teasing man? Let's get this gossip train going!

Own-Pineapple2507 t1_iugrv5u wrote

We want the tea 🍵

Humbugwombat t1_iugt4jh wrote

Most of his stories were from his time at Grand Canyon and involve people falling down cliff faces when they cut switchbacks or get too close to the edge of a cliff while either trying to peer over the edge or pose for pictures. He also worked at Olympic and Volcano Nat. Parks where the same sort of thing happens on a regular basis.

The most tragic ones I can recall came not from the FIL, but from the MIL, who moved to West Yellowstone after they split up. Both involved dogs going where they shouldn’t and attempts by owners to rescue them.

In one, the dog walked over a crusted over mud flat. When the owner went to get him, his greater weight caused him to break through the crust. He died from third degree burns over most of his body not long after being rescued. The dog was never actually injured. In the other, the dog dove into a hot pool and the owner tried to rescue him. The guy was rescued but, like the last guy, had third degree burns over his entire body. He died a few days later. The dog was never found. Apparently bodies (human and animal) that go into the hot pools simply dissolve from the heat and high acidity.

When there’s a sign that says “don’t go here”, don’t go there. If your dog goes there, get a smarter dog. Better yet, leave them at home.

Whatever you do, don’t put the baby in a backpack and walk close to the drop-off of a high waterfall.

Oshunlove t1_iuipygp wrote

And this kid isn't even in a backpack! Edit: So fucked up.

iamlucky13 t1_iujzpm3 wrote

> Apparently bodies (human and animal) that go into the hot pools simply dissolve from the heat and high acidity.

I've heard a couple related stories. Here's one from July:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yellowstone-foot-found-in-abyss-pool-hot-spring-linked-to-death/

I guess the shoe helped protect the foot.

Another case was in 2016 when a couple of adult siblings went looking for a hot springs to soak in. The brother climbed down to a pool to check the temperature, but slipped and fell in. His sister was filming him climbing down, and reportedly still had the video running as she tried to help him out.

In the end, there was nothing she could do but run to the nearest ranger station for help. By the time rangers arrived, he was, unsurprisingly, not responsive. They could not recover his body that evening, and when they returned the next day, there was no sign of him. They believed his body had already dissolved. They recorded the temperature of the pool as right around boiling. The park service thankfully declined to release the video his sister took.

That's a pretty grim reminder to respect the signs. He died a terrifying and painful death, and his sister undoubtedly had that scene burned into her memory.

dudinax t1_iugwxzr wrote

You guys don't clamber up the rocks above water falls?

−1

newt_girl t1_iui1v0s wrote

My partner and I had this discussion last night regarding this photo.

Yes, we do. I love going off trail and a good sporting adventure. But there is a time and place for it. And a popular tourist attraction at a National Park when there are other people around isn't the time or the place. Washington is full of wilderness to frolick in, leave the 'special' areas as they are.

iamlucky13 t1_iuk06nt wrote

My view is similar.

I visited Sol Duc Falls this summer, and easily concluded that as a highly trafficked area, it was not the place to explore. The traffic volume would affect the off-trail area heavily, and lot's of other people around who might not be as careful as I would. And most of the area around that particular waterfall is not forgiving.

Plus I had my kids with me.

avitar35 t1_iuf8ige wrote

I’ve watched people fall over waterfalls. It’s not a pretty sight. These people are next level stupid to carry their kid that close. Respect nature or it WILL kill you, and sometimes even when you respect it it’ll get ya. This is a hugely unnecessary risk.

lurker-1969 t1_iufa1k9 wrote

My friend lost his son to a waterfall accident . He had just completed Maritime school in San Fransisco and they were on their sea trials cruise in Viet Nam. The last hike he ever went on

avitar35 t1_iugp1g8 wrote

Very sorry to hear that. I hope people can learn from that and be safer. I know I don’t want to do that to my parents.

lurker-1969 t1_iuj01rj wrote

My mom and dad raised 3 boys on a cattle ranch. Ranching is dangerous business and I was the victim of a bad farming accident but recovered. Off the ranch we were pretty wild. My mom , I can't imagine the worry she had. As a parent of 2 adult girls who participate in hazardous sports I look back and wonder how she survive.

Rotary_Wing t1_iug0df5 wrote

>He had just completed Maritime school in San Fransisco

They don't call it the Carquinez Mental Asylum for nothing.

−2

lurker-1969 t1_iug9pyf wrote

Explain please

Rotary_Wing t1_iuis8z6 wrote

A lot of the students/alumni like to take risks, and quite a few have died young because of it. It's a weird place, and it produces or attracts weird people.

lurker-1969 t1_iuiy8ri wrote

Yup, he was a young guy doing young guy stuff. Can't say I wasn't there myself at that age. At any rate he was a very nice kid with adventure in his eyes. It just totally wrecked his dad and I'm sure the mom too.

KittyBizkit t1_iug4tpk wrote

My favorite saying is:

Respect Mother Nature for thou art small and biodegradable.

extracheezplz69 t1_iugubmf wrote

ALWAYS STAY BEHIND THE FENCE, it’s not there just for aesthetics!!

[deleted] t1_iugns0y wrote

[deleted]

−21

avitar35 t1_iugov9c wrote

Everyone thinks they’re not close enough til they slip. I’ve been hiking waterfalls specifically for 10 years and have witnessed multiple people go over multiple different falls. When you get complacent is when shit happens. Like I said unnecessary risk getting that close, kid or not.

[deleted] t1_iuj40ym wrote

[deleted]

−1

avitar35 t1_iuj9pqt wrote

Someone thats experienced in a specific subset of an activity. Just like backcountry skiers.

[deleted] t1_iujgdu8 wrote

[deleted]

−1

[deleted] t1_iujhthq wrote

[deleted]

derrickito4 t1_iujpt97 wrote

man you ran off and deleted your "Dude you’re a cunt. LMAO." message. tsk tsk. see you out chasing waterfalls buddy!

-confirmed cunt.

derrickito162 t1_iujwjxm wrote

"I don't know how I always get to these fires so quick, Mr Fireman. "

Sounds like we found the guy pushing people off of waterfalls o'er here. Book em boys

bearsandstairs t1_iufmdz6 wrote

Man I thought my risk tolerance was high because I let my 18 month old go on the big kid playground. It appears, now, that I’m a little bit reasonable.

Jaemzbaxter t1_iufpxqf wrote

I was just there and these girls were exactly where those parents are, taking pictures of each other. It fucked up my photos (I don’t love having people in my nature pictures unless it’s planned) and were obviously gonna be in everyone else’s pictures since it’s hard to leave out the top of the falls when you’re taking a picture of them. They posed there for almost as long as we were there and i was triggered. I get wanting to get a great picture, wanting to see nature up close, and wanting to be off trail. But don’t clog up a very clearly public spot with your basic bitch self-centered attitude. Get down there, get a couple shots, and leave. Every public natural area is for everyone to enjoy and putting yourself in the middle of it for extended periods of time is just fucking selfish. It’s right up there with playing music while hiking. Taking turns was taught at a young age and would solve so many adult problems. Ugh. End rant.

Studious_Noodle t1_iufuwbq wrote

I was thinking how unsafe it is and how disrespectful of nature to do this. But you’re right, it also fucks up everyone else’s photos.

There’s absolutely nothing positive about people going off-trail, much less “cool.”

Jaemzbaxter t1_iug4xt3 wrote

I didn’t realize until i took a class how terribly disruptive and destructive going off trail or making shortcuts is to topsoil and erosion. It’s crazy. They rate trails based on steps taken on it and so many thousand steps equals a certain amount of erosion which has to be maintained. You know this. But it was kind of an epiphany moment for me. I’m a big fan of staying on the trail now that i realize how destructive short cuts are or anything trod enough to make a trail.

lyla_ray t1_iugutn9 wrote

Would love to take a class like this, where can I find this or what can I search to find something similar?

ered_lithui t1_iugxs7c wrote

Not quite the same, but you can get lots of hands-on experience with this by volunteering with WTA and doing trail building and maintenance! You’ll learn so much and never look at a hiking trail the same way again.

Jaemzbaxter t1_iuhvkps wrote

It was in a geology class, actually! But like the next commenter said, getting involved with trail maintenance would be perfect to learn that sorta stuff.

TX2PNW t1_iuis26l wrote

That’s really interesting. I never knew that thank you!

Jimdandy941 t1_iufuirc wrote

Righteous indignation! If I had award, I’d give it to.

Jaemzbaxter t1_iug46x0 wrote

Lol. I’m eye-rolling at myself but i hold to my opinion. People are selfish.

Edit: added ‘at’ for clarification.

catlesbian420 t1_iuiz3d8 wrote

I’ve gotten plenty of great hiking photos at viewpoints & on the trail. Its selfish, inconsiderate, & just plain stupid to do shit like this. I completely understand your frustration

Jaemzbaxter t1_iujvmdv wrote

Thank you. It’s very nice to have another person validate your views.

peggysue_82 t1_iuf1sqk wrote

What a pair of asshats! I hate when people go off trail!

derkajit t1_iug2g6l wrote

bUt mY unLeAsHed dOg wEnT thAt WaY…

Wall_clinger t1_iuf5cm9 wrote

These are such shitty parents for so many reasons. A guy fell over the falls already earlier this year by trying something like this. Don’t fucking go off the trail

Judaekus t1_iuerj2v wrote

As a parent, I get a lot of anxiety from pictures like this, but at the same time, I’d wager from where they’re standing it looks safe. They might not even be able to see the falls.

insom187 OP t1_iuf3lzn wrote

Absolutely fair point overall! Can say that the rocks start angling towards the falls even if you can't see it and they were really close to the edge. Overall to me the wildcard is holding a kid in your arms is a total unknown of possibilities so it's really taking a huge risk to (your point) not even see the waterfall itself.

JoushMark t1_iuh90zi wrote

Yep, there's a lot of waterfalls and rock faces in Washington that look perfectly safe until you put a foot wrong on slick rock, then you slip, then you become a sad story about why you don't go off trail.

dudinax t1_iugx796 wrote

Seriously. People do stupid stuff in these situations but usually the picture looks far more dangerous than reality. They are having a memorable moment and aren't hurting anyone else.

When did Washingtonians get all salty about this stuff? Didn't use to be that way.

−9

herbnoh t1_iufldpd wrote

Don’t Go Chasing Waterfalls, stick to the…

SalesMountaineer t1_iufew04 wrote

"Cool"? I hope you're kidding?

insom187 OP t1_iug4wiv wrote

Yeah, intended to be sarcastic bit I know that tone doesn't always come through text

punkmetalbastard t1_iufer7b wrote

I’d say it’s all from the gram but people have been doing this since well before camera phones

musicandshakes t1_iufixgl wrote

This is scary for so many reasons. Also, is the dad covering his face? If so, got to love him protecting his privacy over his kid’s.

catlesbian420 t1_iuizkn9 wrote

Wow I totally missed that but I think you’re right! The partner & kid aren’t as important as he is i guess

PokeyPinecone t1_iug94di wrote

Goddammit it, death-wish "hikers"... you are why America is covered in guard rails and warning signs. Just another PTSD-inducing dead kid call waiting to happen to some local SAR crew.

Preaching to the choir, I know. It's just so heartbreaking being somewhere like Palouse Falls where multiple people have needlessly perished. I'm sad and passed at the same time that some people have so little respect and awe when outdoors.

witchycommunism t1_iufvqfd wrote

We were there in September and so many people were doing this that we couldn’t get a picture without a person in it.

MirrorStreet t1_iufwi88 wrote

I can’t imagine trying to climb up or down w/o having any hands or arms available because your holding your kid. I’m guessing the OP is using “cool” interchangeably with “irresponsible”. Or “dumb” or “crazy”….

But who am I to judge I probably miss out on all sorts of opportunities because I play everything safe.

tactical_flipflops t1_iufxp7u wrote

It’s okay they were on mushrooms.

Adub024 t1_iug7xle wrote

I know op is a dummy, obviously not off trail when they flew up there

[deleted] t1_iugsfd2 wrote

Things here are beautiful because we protect them from bad people like this.

They are just doing their part to ruin it for everyone. God, what cunts. Do they truly think they are the special ones? Ruining the trail, the view, and endangering their kid all at once. Fuck them.

Team_speak t1_iugp99m wrote

They're not cool. How is endangering their child cool? Also you're not special, stay on the trail.

tim3capture t1_iug9yho wrote

Obviously they haven't seen the video with that guy falls off of there...

Uniform_Restorer t1_iuhk62g wrote

People like these are what us search and rescue technicians like to call “job security”.

Careful-Self-457 t1_iuhy9l1 wrote

People like this make me insane. We spend lots of time every year finding people who got lost going off a trail, who got stuck going off a trail or who end up on the side of a cliff for going off trail. We spend thousands of hours designing and maintaining trails so that they are relatively safe for the hikers. If I had caught these folks they would have been cited and given a 72 hour eviction from the parks in that management unit. It is people like this that put my life and the lives of my co-workers and rescue personnel at risk for no apparent reason than rules do not apply to them.

NF-104 t1_iufknls wrote

This is why they make ropes and harnesses (kid and adult)

pala4833 t1_iuflyq3 wrote

That's also why they make "Stay on the trail" signs, because people are selfish retards.

Riyeko t1_iui8m53 wrote

My fiance, myself and our tiny tot love to go hiking. Never go off trail though.

Akushin t1_iuin7u1 wrote

Oh they are just performing the weekly sacrifice to appease the Old Gods

Large-Welder304 t1_iuio7ba wrote

Why is the man covering his face? The woman looks disgusted to be having been caught in the shot, too.

I think this is a papparazzi picture.

okileggs1992 t1_iuiop89 wrote

WTF, I doubt they would accept responsibility for their actions

TrevorDuncan t1_iuirzjf wrote

Rules are for other people. Murica

like_a_Otter_2_water t1_iujcde1 wrote

At lacamas lake near the city Washougal in Washington. Off the trail is a small swiming spot called the Pot holes because of the sand stone. People jump from above the water falls and somtimes get stuck under the fall. You see the falls have warn a hole into the sandstone and if you get sucked in your a goner. several people have died to it.

lydiadventuring t1_iujdktd wrote

A man fell off that exact spot a few years ago. He managed to survive and pull himself out of the river downstream but it’s quite a tumble getting to anywhere there’s enough ground to do so. Then he had to wait hours for ground crews to hoist themselves down the steep ravine to pull him out. I’ve done dumb shit as a fully consenting adult, but taking your kid with you is another level of fucked.

CarbonRunner t1_iuhce6f wrote

they are a good 10ft from the ledge. I don't see the issue here at all. People have gotten way too timid about life these days.

−3

nwcolorguy t1_iugd7ei wrote

I took my kids to that exact spot. There is a trail down to it. Lots of people walking around. It could be dangerous if you got too close to the edge but it’s like an other place in nature

−6

groundsquid t1_iugqs36 wrote

It’s not an official trail to that spot, it’s called a social trail, which is formed from people repeatedly going off the actual trail. Those rocks are wet, mossy, slippery and dangerous.

nwcolorguy t1_iuibts3 wrote

Sure it’s dangerous. For fucks sake I’ve been on official trails that are more dangerous. You know they don’t have handrails on the trails that summit mountains. Now if people are trampling the vegetarian then I get it.

anowlenthusiast t1_iug5lsb wrote

It’s really not as steep or dangerous as the photos make it seem. It’s also not without real risks that kids that age can’t consent to.

−8

bludkult420 t1_iufs03g wrote

Ah, the Asian tourists strike again.

−22

YukonTerror t1_iug9nxt wrote

Apparently nobody on here is a mountaineer or climber of any kind. You guys know there are people in this world who are sure footed as a mountain goat, spend huge amounts of their free time get this… OFF TRAIL and actually seeking out the vertical world. So take your personal risk tolerance, and use it to make personal decisions. It’s unfair for people who have no confidence in their physical body to make risk assessments for someone who could be a goddamn athlete

−24

Huge_Requirement9200 t1_iugnda4 wrote

Ugh fuck off dude this is a mile from the trailhead. I know you probably send super hard and do CrossFit and ski miur in the same day or whatever, but that isn't the point now is it?

We all go off trail to climb. The point here is that this is a very, very popular waterfall where people have died from this exact circumstance.

I'm sure you take your toddler free soloing in j tree too.

/vom

darlantan t1_iuhiwvb wrote

Is it? I could've sworn there was a bit of trail that hooks around out of frame on the right (and gives other vantages) and allows access to that area from above and behind out of frame, basically going down a small bank before the falls.

Been a couple years since I've been there, so perhaps I'm mistaking it for another set of falls though.

YukonTerror t1_iugocp2 wrote

Literally the most annoying thing I find on Reddit, is people telling other people how they need to live their lives

−12

YukonTerror t1_iugo12n wrote

The kid would be much better off in bean bag with an iPad surly. How about this, it’s OKAY that people die sometimes when they do stupid things, that’s the consequence. But negotiating obstacles like this, with an infant is well within our capabilities and DNA, go back 3 or 4 generations and see.

−15

MisterIceGuy t1_iugdeue wrote

Or perhaps people on here with climbing experience still recognize that carrying a child in that situation is irresponsible regardless of how much of a mountain goat you think you are.

YukonTerror t1_iugn2dd wrote

Still sound like a weakling bro. My whole life I’ve been climbing including as a child. This child is in no danger. It’s probably more irresponsible to drive with your child on the freeway. But by all means, shelter your children to the detriment of all primordial instinct

−7

snark t1_iugpche wrote

YukonTerror t1_iujkkdz wrote

A lot of people have herpes bro, life happens to everyone regardless of the risks they take. I was cheated on in a monogamous relationship and got herpes, but guess what my life is still fucking awesome and I still have sex. You think because I have herpes you’ve caught me in some gotcha moment about risk taking? Well guess what I still don’t fucking do, tell other people how they need to manage their own sex life, which is the point here

KevinCarbonara t1_iuggtzu wrote

> You guys know there are people in this world who are sure footed as a mountain goat

Yeah. They're called goats. That's not a power humans are capable of.

YukonTerror t1_iugnnq8 wrote

😂 yes, humans are incapable of climbing. If only we shared some genetic lineage with primates, then we could learn to walk in the wilderness with our children. Goats are a good example of capable climbers, but you know what else is? HUMANS. there are literally people living in the Amazon right now who carry their fucking kids up and down trees and across ravines daily. The fact all these people down voting me are soft bodied pale skinned desk dwellers doesn’t take away the instinct and amazing capabilities of real people

−3

JoeBlob13 t1_iuifftk wrote

Since ive moved to Washington from Colorado, I've noticed how much the hiking sucks in comparison. I've climbed quite a few places all over Colorado and spend a lot of time hiking to the top of mountains without trails.

Here in Washington, you have to pay to use the park, can only go on trails, trails are much much more sparse, much less mountains, and the people will cry about anything if you even go a tiny bit off trail.

I am absolutely aware if the potential dangers I've put myself through. It's how I learn. But to be so guarded here is a big disappointment.

YukonTerror t1_iujl7ds wrote

You have to get further from the accessible spots where the average r/Washington Reddit user can access before their lungs collapse. There’s plenty of raw wilderness here where you don’t have to worry about soft bodied #PNWanderer geeks reimagining what it means to be a safe human.