Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

renownbrewer t1_iyu3x6n wrote

Buy a trip permit from WA DOL if driving back without a plate bothers you.

laflarered OP t1_iyu6dt9 wrote

I get the trip permit would allow me to drive the car in Washington but I’m more worried about driving the car in Oregon unregistered to Washington is the Washington trip permit valid in Oregon also or do I get a trip permit for both states

Careless-Internet-63 t1_iyu6wlb wrote

You can drive in Oregon with a Washington trip permit

laflarered OP t1_iyu6zsy wrote

Thank you !!!

ToadallyKyle t1_iyvliru wrote

Definitely get the permit if it makes you feel more secure.

Take this with a grain of salt, but you really don't need to worry about cops too much in Portland pulling you over. My bf drove with an expired temporary license plate for 3 months after buying a car(just forgot tbh) and there are stolen chop shop cars driving around Portland with no bumpers or license plates at all. I've seen trucks driving down the street with "I don't think that's legal" wooden self made tiny houses built into the back. You should be good, and not worry too much once you get your temps.

encee222 t1_iyu3o8c wrote

I'm no lawyer, but in the past when pulled over while transporting a car in this situation showed the freshly dated Bill of Sale (receipt) and been warned that we should have gotten a 72hr permit for just that purpose.

Dylan_Dizy t1_iyumboh wrote

Seems like the easiest method, I would drive plateless and if you get pulled over just shrug and say you didn't know the correct procedure and you'd most likely get a warning.

EtherPhreak t1_iyuncxv wrote

Agreed based on the amount of vehicles running around without plates and if you get pulled over you have paperwork.

soundlikethis t1_iyvwibo wrote

Just in case you're buying in Oregon to skip sales tax, you may want to rethink. I think you'll still owe tax when you register it in Washington.

Practical-Stuff- t1_iyvxb1l wrote

Yes, you definitely still have to pay sales tax when you register the car.

bedlog t1_iyu457y wrote

i dont know if wa dmv still does this, but I used to get trip permits for a vehicle. It was kind of a generic form but 1 time use only and was good for a week(?). I would check out the website and see if that is still doable. If all else fails, ask your friendly local police station

MundaneDimension t1_iyw1p5n wrote

NAL but if there’s no license plate on the car at all when you buy it I’d worry about it being a stolen car that they’re selling

Make sure you get all the proper paperwork - don’t accept any excuses for why they wouldn’t have it

Future_Huckleberry71 t1_iyw6mjq wrote

You will need valid single travel permit in both states if you drive a unlicensed vehicle on roads in both states.

Upstairs_Size4757 t1_iyu4yom wrote

I think you have to have a state patrol vin# inspection also,have to make an appointment for the inspection. Not too long ago there was a very long waiting list .Should research that I'm sure other people on here know better than me.

EtherPhreak t1_iyun9o6 wrote

Should be good taking the title AND a bill of sale (which you can print from WA dmv) to a license office. Patrol inspection should not be needed.

bobbawon t1_iz62f01 wrote

Living in SW WA I’ve bought a few cars from Portland in the past few years, private party and from dealers. Private party purchases I just took the title to my local dol and paid tax and registration and was out the door in 10 mins with no inspection. (00 Camry and 15 prius). My 06 sienna was purchased thru a dealer which did not pay the correct amount of taxes so I had to pay the difference at the dol to get my plates

lonerwolf85 t1_iyu7f2f wrote

You could tow the car home.