Submitted by babypink1234 t3_z4lurd in WorcesterMA

Just wants to start a new life and meet new people! I will be starting my ABSN program at MCPHS in January 2023. Any advice for me getting around the neighborhood on campus?

I also won’t be taking my car with me for now. Any advice for me in terms of transportation?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

D_is_for_Doomsayer t1_ixs2rce wrote

Transportation is rough without a car. We have a bus system, but it's more of a spoke system. It's not a fast method. The central hub is fairly close to MCPHS at least.

babypink1234 OP t1_ixs711d wrote

sounds good. people have mentioned the areas surrounding the mcphs campus is “ghetto” is that true?

anightclubfordogs t1_ixsd6y7 wrote

The worst parts of Worcester are nowhere close to the worst parts of anywhere in a CA city. You’ll laugh when you see what people call “ghetto” here. Worcester is extremely safe

But yeah, transportation does suck and it gets very cold. Uber will probably be your friend

babypink1234 OP t1_ixtu7ol wrote

Yeah. I live in Stockton, CA. It's kinda rough where I live (there was one point a few of my HS friends' parents did not want them to come to my bday party because my neighborhood is too ghetto lol) So I just wanna see what they mean by "ghetto" in the city. 🤨

lilgamergrlie t1_ixu9lmg wrote

Mass ghetto is waaaay safer than any Cali ghetto and I say that as someone from Richmond who frequented Stockton my whole life. The food and weather are definitely an extreme downgrade but it’s super safe even in the ghetto here and the homelessness is nothing like it is in Cali. Everything is cheaper too! Have a safe move!

coldrunn t1_ixulmse wrote

All of Worcester is nicer than Stockton! Our run down area are old mills and run down houses. There isn't a huge port or nasty industrial areas 😉. Look at the street view of 1 Walpole, that's about how the rough areas look. MCPHS is on the other side of downtown.

I moved here 10 years ago from Sacramento (Roseville)

MxFoodLover t1_ixuvw2v wrote

I grew up near Stockton and trust me nothing compares to Stockton, you’ll be fine in Worcester lmao

Also MCPHS isn’t that close to the worst parts of Worcester

AnvilMaker t1_ixuwoum wrote

Hey I loved from east LA to Worcester. Let’s say there are some parts of Worcester that make me feel nostalgic lol. But not immediately next to MCPHS afaik from where the campus is. There are nice parts and there are not nice parts.

I do agree with others that it’s kind of tough without a car here. Transportation system is not amazing and if you want to use Ubers, they are not always reliable. Sometimes there are non early mornings if you need to catch a flight back or something like that.

NovelNo87 t1_ixsiq49 wrote

It’s definitely not the worst part of the city, especially since they’ve been gentrifying downtown over the last few years. The worst I’ve ever had is people coming up to me asking for money or a cigarette.

BostonPilot t1_ixuss9c wrote

10 minutes walk to Starbucks, 15 minute walk to Ralph's Diner!

🥳

mtbmike t1_ixs7yo9 wrote

Yes it is. But really not too bad it’s well lit and there’s good people around too. There’s a store 24 that attracts some undesirables. On the other side of the hospital is a lot of lower income housing. The giant police station is close by, not sure how that matters at all. Where you gonna live that means everything as far a as transportation.

babypink1234 OP t1_ixscnc2 wrote

how bad is the snow during the beginning of january?

MoreGuitarPlease t1_ixsrl6i wrote

You’re gonna wanna kill yourself in February, but spring is awesome.

Brighteyed77 t1_ixsdgwg wrote

Pretty rough time for snow we usually get at least a foot or 2 in January at the worst and 6-12 inches at the mildest

mtbmike t1_ixsfza3 wrote

It seems like every year we get two weeks of super cold in January. Like zero. It sucks.

babypink1234 OP t1_ixsh411 wrote

thats gonna be the huge change for me, as a Californian haha

theCaityCat t1_ixteako wrote

Buy a good winter coat, keep a snow brush/ice scraper in your car, remember you can't steer if you slam the brakes, and don't be one of those douchebags who leaves snow on your car's roof so that it hits the poor sucker driving behind you. You'll be fine. :D

HistoricalSecurity77 t1_ixslyk6 wrote

You will be fine. Because we get a lots of snow, the city digs out pretty quick. It’s not like some places that shut down with 6” of snow.

Lady_Nimbus t1_ixsw3b1 wrote

We don't shut down, but the city does a real shit job of digging out anywhere that's not a main area

BostonPilot t1_ixuufil wrote

So, when I went to school in Worcester ( many years ago ) they would plow the snow until the snow plowing budget was used up, and then they would just stop plowing. Given that I was riding a motorcycle year round, this presented some issues for me.

I take it they're better on that front now? 🤔

BostonPilot t1_ixuttnb wrote

Yeah, my wife moved here from Santa Monica. She never really adjusted to the cold ( or to the streets not being on a grid! ). And Worcester has that winter gale of a wind that just cuts right through you. Oh, yeah, and the snow you mentioned.

You're going to love it here!

Invest in some proper New England winter clothes... Parka, snow mobile mittens, warm waterproof boots.

I went to school 5 minutes from there, and it's rough in the winter. And I grew up in New England. And you'll find you won't tolerate the cold as well as the natives. So I'm not kidding about buying some proper warm clothes...

New-Vegetable-1274 t1_ixv1owe wrote

New England, particularly Massachusetts has capricious weather in every season. That's day by day week by week and year by year. Snow totals are nothing like they used to be and temps have moderated as well. I think the best description is manageable. We get the rare blizzard, which in my opinion is something to look forward to. Everything shuts down. Having advanced warning, you stock up on your favorite beverage and good things to eat and binge watch movies because you're not going anywhere. It's been a long time since we've had a really bad one. At my house it's another holiday. We've got lots of room and the family comes here to hunker down. Then it's movies, board games and cooking and eating.

pdillon69 t1_ixsmqot wrote

Honestly, the rougher areas of Worcester aren’t really that bad. I’ve lived in a lot of major cities across the country and what is considered ghetto in Worcester could be a decent middle class neighborhood anywhere else.

D_is_for_Doomsayer t1_ixuodu3 wrote

The rougher areas of Worcester are mind-your-own-business zones, not the kind of place where you automatically have a target on your back if you're an outsider.

HistoricalSecurity77 t1_ixslv0t wrote

No, not really. Most of the folks who think that grew up in very sheltered small towns. I lived on Mission Hill in Boston for years and Worcester really isn’t bad at all.

bemest t1_ixt4soq wrote

No it’s the heart of downtown. The area they are referring to is several blocks south of there.

Ovaltene17 t1_ixs9k0c wrote

No advice, but nursing students tend to be a pretty tight group, based around lots and lots of hard work and group study. I'm sure through that you will find carpool friends and people you can take ubers with!

babypink1234 OP t1_ixscpis wrote

yes agree! thats why im trying it out being carless for the first few months.

mtbmike t1_ixsg6ls wrote

Have you locked down a place. You could get something close over bear green street there’s some cool places there

babypink1234 OP t1_ixsguhw wrote

yes im living on campus!

mtbmike t1_ixsh8vq wrote

Oh I’m not sure if that means super close but if it dies you are gonna be good. Highland street is right college kids everywhere check out the boynton and the sole proprietor gear bars

mtbmike t1_ixsou77 wrote

Sorry my stupid phone does that. Dies=does and right =close and gear=great. Sorry. Youll be fine

babypink1234 OP t1_ixtucm1 wrote

thanks for the advice! ill try not to stick my face too much to books and make new friends!

Asb1995 t1_ixsjgbk wrote

As a current MCPHS student, and as someone who lives on campus, I think you may want to reconsider having your car if possible. I know my program (DPT) encourages us to have a car for clinicals, and not much is within walking distance

babypink1234 OP t1_ixtun66 wrote

Yes, I read the comments here getting the car. I plan on shipping my car during the second semester since nursing students start their clinicals around that time. I would also like to try out ubersharing/zipcar for the mean time.

How do you like living on campus? Do you live with people? I plan on living in Foster!

Asb1995 t1_iy1gvbf wrote

I love living on campus, I got lucky and got placed with someone I get along with very well. I’ve heard good things about Foster, its similar to classic college dorm style except you will have your own bedroom. I live in the apartment style dorms which I have heard is a different experience.

MMScooter t1_ixsj54z wrote

I work at a dialysis clinic close to the campus. I mean you cant really walk to a grocery store but if you’re cooking for 1 you can at least instacart or something cheaper than many. I live in Holden but I don’t drive at all. My husband brings me into Worcester and I get around w walking and Uber just fine. I’m from New Orleans and Worcester has an insane amount of snow. But the city does a good job with it.

MMScooter t1_ixt0hgd wrote

Also if you want to work in dialysis during school hit me up. We actually do a program that pays for nursing school. Just thought of that. I’m their social worker!

babypink1234 OP t1_ixsjht3 wrote

thanks for the advice! instacart should be a good option for me :-)

princess-smartypants t1_ixsh12w wrote

From another CA native, buy a good coat and waterproof boots, like LL Bean hikers, when you get here. Gloves, too. Baby, it is cold outside.

babypink1234 OP t1_ixshva4 wrote

im excited!

CoolAbdul t1_ixswqaj wrote

By the middle of February you will be contemplating ways to kill yourself.

EDIT: It's a JOKE, people. Geez...

eazeaze t1_ixswr3g wrote

Suicide Hotline Numbers If you or anyone you know are struggling, please, PLEASE reach out for help. You are worthy, you are loved and you will always be able to find assistance.

Argentina: +5402234930430

Australia: 131114

Austria: 017133374

Belgium: 106

Bosnia & Herzegovina: 080 05 03 05

Botswana: 3911270

Brazil: 212339191

Bulgaria: 0035 9249 17 223

Canada: 5147234000 (Montreal); 18662773553 (outside Montreal)

Croatia: 014833888

Denmark: +4570201201

Egypt: 7621602

Finland: 010 195 202

France: 0145394000

Germany: 08001810771

Hong Kong: +852 2382 0000

Hungary: 116123

Iceland: 1717

India: 8888817666

Ireland: +4408457909090

Italy: 800860022

Japan: +810352869090

Mexico: 5255102550

New Zealand: 0508828865

The Netherlands: 113

Norway: +4781533300

Philippines: 028969191

Poland: 5270000

Russia: 0078202577577

Spain: 914590050

South Africa: 0514445691

Sweden: 46317112400

Switzerland: 143

United Kingdom: 08006895652

USA: 18002738255

You are not alone. Please reach out.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically.

−2

brittonmakesart t1_ixuq88k wrote

This should be the top post lol. Seriously, get the biggest, puffiest coat you can find. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars, but definitely don't cheap out. Uniqlo sells a big puffer for around $180 that goes down to your knees and it's the only thing that's kept my GF alive since we moved here from the west coast.

alcutts27 t1_ixslud7 wrote

Buy a shovel. Any kind of shovel, you can use it to move snow, or beat people asking for a loosie. And if nursing doesn't work for you, you can move dirt with it. Good luck!

HistoricalSecurity77 t1_ixslrf7 wrote

The WRTA sucks, but is free. You can get by depending on neighborhood. Downtown has much more these days, so you should be ok.

Hiram508 t1_ixt30t3 wrote

As someone who grew up in Central Massachusetts and works in Worcester. Not far from your campus, you will Definitely want your car. Without it, your world will be too small. You will want to get out and explore different places in your down time. Without a car, your very limited to where and what you can do. Relying on the train or bus to go to Boston is ok, but on their schedule. Worcester is not big enough to just staying there. New England as a whole, is a beautiful area and every bit of it should be explored. But, you need your car to do so. What is great about the Worcester area is if you look at a map and draw a circle 90 miles (say, within 90 minutes)out, you can explore so many areas. From Boston to part of the Cape. Providence or Newport, RI. Mystic, CT to Foxwoods. Springfield to Shelburne Falls, MA. Brattleboro, Vt to Portsmouth, Nh . Portland, ME to Newburyport, MA. Each area I mentioned are driveable from Worcester and each should be visited while you are out this way.

MxFoodLover t1_ixtahaf wrote

Also moved here from CA several years ago and getting a car here is WORTH IT. I did Uber and Zipcar and got rides from people. The latter was a nice way to bond with people, but Uber and Zipcar added up. I tried the bus system, but it drove me crazy how the bus drivers left before they were supposed to (they would arrive and leave before the scheduled bus stop).

babypink1234 OP t1_ixtuwpe wrote

how long did you use zipcar and ubers? how much does it cost, approximately?

MxFoodLover t1_ixuvq3i wrote

I used it for the first few years, splitting the cost with friends as much as possible.

At the time, I think Zipcar was $9 Annual fee then something like $9/hr (it’s been a while I don’t fully remember).

A lot of places in the city were probably $18 round trip for Uber.

Up to this point, I had one job off campus and the rest were on campus. By my fourth year, I had picked up jobs outside of my school and a car was needed. I’m so glad to have the car, especially to go to places outside Worcester.

AgnosticGlobetrotter t1_ixsyqyl wrote

Public transit is practically non-existent in Worcester. As others have said, buses are free, but you’ll never know if they’ll show up when they’re supposed to, so they’re not something you can rely on. If possible, you should reconsider bringing your car, especially if you’re coming from a city in California (because you’ll be in for a culture shock in terms of walkability and public transit).

[deleted] t1_ixu34uv wrote

First thing that came to my mind would b the difference in culture. Have you been to Boston? Everyone is grinding and on the go. Which results in a bit of an attitude (understatement) there’s a sense of stress in the air round here.

My wife went to MCP. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a ghetto but, there is a difference when you cross the street. You should b well equipped considering your Stockton roots.

poutine-pal t1_ixtg8ux wrote

My condolences, in a way… I’m born and raised in Worcester and live in nearby MA and Massachusetts November - April is a frozen hellscape, dark, grey, and dreary. I spent quite a bit of time in CA in my 20’s and it’s just… nicer. The climate is SO much better, the people were more relaxed (depending on where you are, of course) and it’s just more hospitable to commuting, waking, and being a human. Public transportation leaves a lot to be desired here (outside of Boston.) That said, welcome!

jjdog202 t1_ixtoy4j wrote

If you can get an airbnb close to downtown you will be ok without a car

foreverelle t1_ixukhxa wrote

Hello! Worcester resident here, I graduated from MCPHS ABSN program in 2016. While you will pretty much be immersed in school stuff for 16 months, you might want to reconsider bringing your car. Worcester public transit isn't vast and there is so much to see in New England.

dpceee t1_ixvbkgm wrote

I highly recommend that you get a car. The bus system is just...well it is there is you absolutely need it. If you won't be bringing your own, at least get some sort of beater car to drive in Worcester. Outside of Worcester, the Public transit system is nowhere to be found, and that can really be also said for within the city itself in large parts.

albalfa t1_ixxfiyl wrote

Number of CA transplants replying here is wildly surprising to me.

AreaGroundbreaking72 t1_ixuecdc wrote

I'm from the worcester area and just want to let you not this is not a safe city to be out and about alone especially as a woman. I would highly suggest bringing your vehicle at the very least.

−4