Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dupattaluella OP t1_j5zlr94 wrote

Reply to comment by Rmcneil87 in Electricity Bill Update by dupattaluella

The AMI meters shouldn't submit readings for more kwhs each month than the AMR meters. Plus, the program ended over a year ago, per NG customer service. So, that doesn't explain why I was being charged for almost 800 kwhs last month and I'm now seeing 12 kwh in the last 24 hours (checked the meter again on the 24 hour mark from install).

Since the AMI meter has three different readings it cycles through, and no one at NG could explain how to accurately read the meter, it tells me they were either getting some innacurate readings I was being charged for OR they were ripping me off purposely. It took me months of asking for a new meter to get one. I was starting to suspect them, but wanted to give the benefit of the doubt. When they acted as if switching out a meter was impossible and having someone come out to explain how to read the AMI meter would never happen, I started to wonder if it was them ripping me off.

If my next full cycle (which will start early February through early March) is closer to 360 kwh, I'll know it was the meter and/or NG trying to rip me off. Since the replacement happened mid cycle this time, I should see a decrease this next bill as well (which I should get the second week of February).

Rmcneil87 t1_j6194ot wrote

Were your bills actual or estimates? I promise you they’re not trying to screw you— anymore than any other utility does.

Also, one days usage is a fraction of the whole picture.

dupattaluella OP t1_j61dsiy wrote

I'm confused on the question asking if my bills were actual or estimates. There's no way for me to know. They told me they get an auto reading once per month that tells them how many kwh I've used. But, I used to not be able to read my meter as I had no idea which of the three numbers to look at so I have no idea.

−1

Rmcneil87 t1_j68fhy3 wrote

There is a way…it says it in the bill itself. It will say actual or estimated.

dupattaluella OP t1_j68oss5 wrote

Ah, I see what you mean. It says actual. In all my prevuous bills, the current reading says "0 Actual" and the previous reading says "0 Actual". So, if those are actual readings, I shouldn't be charged anything, right?

Rmcneil87 t1_j68ftk1 wrote

Meters have radios in them. It pings a signal every few seconds. Bills are done In cycles. Every cycle is a different area of the city/coverage area. They have a vehicle with a transponder that drives around and collects the data sent from each individual meter. That’s how they “automatically” get a reading from your meter every month. Unless you pay the (I think it’s $15 I could be wrong) money to have someone physically come read your meter. You can also ask them to have someone come re-read the meter if you think there was an error.

dupattaluella OP t1_j68p5f3 wrote

I was told they pull an electronic reading once per month on my cycle end date because I'm close enough to one of their centers. In all my previous bills, the current reading says "0 Actual" and the previous reading says "0 Actual". So, if those are actual readings, I shouldn't be charged anything, right?

Rmcneil87 t1_j68pbu0 wrote

I’d honestly have to look at the bill to tell you what the breakdown is. Smart metering bills are different than your typical

dupattaluella OP t1_j69u8nw wrote

There is no breakdown. It literally says "0 Actual" for both current and previous. No readings anywhere on the bill.

Rmcneil87 t1_j69uhuj wrote

there should always be a reading, even if its an estimate it will tell you what the estimated usage is. if there is not any usage information I would definitely contact them and ask why. I have no explanation for that.

dupattaluella OP t1_j69vfo9 wrote

>there should always be a reading, even if its an estimate it will tell you what the estimated usage is

Well, there isn't.

>if there is not any usage information I would definitely contact them and ask why.

I have. They say its because I have a smart meter so it doesn't show my usage. This is one of the reasons I think they're trying to screw me on my electricity bill.

>I have no explanation for that.

Then, I don't think you know more than the "average person" and really shouldn't act like you do. You can help someone without sounding condescending and as if you have the "utility worker" version of the doctor complex.

Rmcneil87 t1_j69w36t wrote

No, I'm just competent enough to read and understand my bill, lol.

ignorance is bliss~

dupattaluella OP t1_j69wwrd wrote

You can't seem to explain the "0 actual" for current and previous readings, so 🤷‍♀️

Rmcneil87 t1_j69x2fu wrote

You can't seem to post the thing so people can try and help you....you've got it all figured out by the looks of it~ good luck like I said.

Rmcneil87 t1_j69vpfy wrote

you can downvote me all you like, you're probably missing something here. And i'm the only person giving you relevant information and possible solutions to your problem-- I won't comment again. good luck addressing your issues, hope the best for you.