Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

armageddon_20xx t1_iupmu4n wrote

It was in fourth grade that I truly came to terms with the fact that I was different. In quantum physics class, the other kids paid rapt attention to the professor as they solved many of cosmology's most famous equations. Me? I was daydreaming about going outside and playing. In the cafeteria, there would be long debates about every topic from evolution to organic chemistry. I just ate my lunch and then took a walk. During library period, my peers would read every single book they could find, filling their brains with so much information that it would make my head burst. I would be finding old videos of baseball games to watch on my phone.

They didn't show their disdain for me in the old-fashion way of throwing taunts in my face. No, they were far too elite for that. It was always in whispers behind my back, or wrapped in rhetoric like "if you had studied chapter 3, you would understand that that the universe is slowing expanding." I never had any friends and was always the last person chosen for the debate team. When I once suggested to the school administrator that we add a PE program for physical health, he laughed at me and suggested that I make better use of the adjustable standing desks in the classroom.

For years I was depressed, wondering why I had been the victim of such a horrible fate. I prayed to whatever deities were up there so that I could be like the others. At night I cried just wanting a friend. It wasn't until high school that I decided that there was no changing my situation and that I would persevere and make the best of this life that I could. I'd be grateful for the things I had and not bemoan what I didn't. I'd find my true talents and make the best use of them I could.

I began to study the others, not just looking at their super-intelligence as a strength, but as a coin with two sides. Intellect allowed them to solve the hardest problems and store vast quantities of information, but it seemed to make them put that information up on a pedestal. The more I noticed, I saw that one of their primary weaknesses was that instead of acting, they needed to research everything. So much of their time would be spent trying to figure the problem out, that they almost never got anything done. I wasn't encumbered by this weakness. Acting came readily to me, as I really didn't care if I was perfectly right or not.

Where this lack of acting seemed to be most impactful was in the government, which was a sprawl of bureaucracy so thick that it accomplished nothing. Production of key items such as food and medicine had fallen to critical levels because nobody could decide on which ones to allow and disallow, or whether or not the side effects were worth the benefit. There were endless debates about whether or not substances such as caffeine were harmful or beneficial, and at what temperature you should administer acetaminophen. Meanwhile, people were suffering without the drug.

I began on the city council, trampling over people as I just started giving orders. So exhausted from debate and inaction, the others on the council started following my lead. I was getting things done. From there it was the regional government, then the national government, and finally where I am today: Supreme Ruler of the World. Now the kids who made fun of me in class all those years ago bow at my feet.

Intelligence isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Thelastbarrelrider t1_iur8n42 wrote

Nice. Liked the flow from depression, to realization, to decision, to action, and finally to his ultimate goal. Well written short story IMO

AlexFarkas t1_iusw3zb wrote

Intelligence is not everything.

Unfortunately, most of humanity has forgotten this important truth and only a few of us can maintain our way of life in this world.

Growing up, I was always of average intelligence, surrounded by hordes of geniuses who believed their intelligence was everything. They believed that information was the only thing that mattered. I was different.

I was always the only one who could apply the information I was given in practical ways, making decisions that others couldn't and making sure they didn't just think of the best ways to help others. It turns out that empathy is not a trait of geniuses at the best of times.

I was the most outstanding student of my generation because I dared to challenge what I was told.

It was hard at first because everyone looked at me like I was a piece of garbage, but that reinforced my attitude and made me someone who was willing to do things no matter what anyone told me.

It also benefited me that I had physical abilities that many of my "peers" didn't have. Just being in a fit physical condition turned out to be a good quality for me.

I first worked in a food production company and improved production and product quality by 500%. No discussions for what kind of food to produce and generate nothing, just produce quality and efficiency for all people.

Then I was hired at a vehicle manufacturer and eliminated the multi-purpose vehicles that no one could afford, replacing it with several vehicles at cheaper costs and easier to produce.

Then there was the recycling project where I was able to generate 300% efficiency, cleaning up junkyards in a matter of months and obtaining an unprecedented amount of resources.

Now I am part of the planetary council together with the other 9 world leaders, where I am still the most important member.

I am the one who generates the most results, obtaining a rate of planetary development never seen before.

Now our star travel project is advancing at a rate never seen before in the last century. Estimates say that with all these advances, we will be able to reach other solar systems in 5 years.

Intelligence and wisdom is what makes a great leader and now I must finish my greatest project, to ensure that the rest of humanity follows in my footsteps to prevent us from returning to the years of stagnation and endless meaningless debates.

My son is the first sign that there is hope when he said exactly the same thing I did at his own age. "If you always debate and never come up with a solution, then we are a bunch of idiots with a lot of books."

The future looks bright.

lukmcl t1_iut7syr wrote

I stepped on to a rake when about to pass the train tracks to get to work. I was late and running. Just as I stepped on the rake, the train came by. "Wow! I never would have thought of using a rake to avoid getting hit by a train!" "Oh I just-" "So smart!" I quickly realized this could help my case. A little bit guilty I stated "Yep, yep. Definitely did that on purpose." The man started to seem a bit suspicious. "Hmm. Something seems... Off about that. Ah, it was how you looked. You have a strand of hair on your jacket." "Oh, th- thanks. D-didn't notice that." As we walked away I was relieved that interaction went ok. Later, at my job of commanding the factory of teleporters, I accidentally bumped into the control panel. I thought I broke it, but it happened to go faster. "We didn't think it could go any faster. Thanks!" Time after time again this would happen. I would cut my finger with an axe, jump from the pain, and avoid a loose wire. While everyone was doing all these steps to calculate when to call the radio to be the 10th person, I just happened to be caller 10. It was so common, people hailed me as their king. They could not get over me. Them with 250 iq, obsessing over me, with 100 max.

AutoModerator t1_iuoeqei wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* Stories at least 100 words. Poems, 30 but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* See Reality Fiction and Simple Prompts for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

sysadminbj t1_iuomkge wrote

If everyone has above 250 IQ, average is above 250.

sennordelasmoscas t1_iup0gzp wrote

Also, fairly sure that the average IQ should always be 100

Edit: tho I may be wrong

Snoo8635 t1_iup3ngw wrote

Yes the average is always 100.

Mindless_Society7034 t1_iup7soc wrote

Currently I believe it’s like 88

Snoo8635 t1_iup87ex wrote

Nope. 100 as the average is an absolute.

Mindless_Society7034 t1_iup8ehm wrote

Do we constantly change the standard? Because I’m not sure, and I’ve heard we haven’t been

Snoo8635 t1_iup93wb wrote

Check an IQ bell curve. It's pretty clear what point it's trying to convey.

EmbarrassedCraft2986 t1_iupd2zq wrote

Intelligence and wisdom are two sides of the same coin, closely intertwined, but not quite the same.

Intelligence determines whether or not you *can* do something.

Wisdom is what tells you whether or not you *should*.

TypicalPunUser t1_iuquk74 wrote

it takes a true genius to realize that they are not the smartest.

Bigbigcheese t1_iuqvcq8 wrote

I'm pretty sure an IQ of 100 is defined as the mean. Therefore for everybody to have an IQ of 250, yet the subject is "only average" (implying IQ of 100, as opposed to incorrect definition of average) then... Does that mean there's an entire enclave of all the "dumb" people locked away from society at large just to keep the averages the same? Where my dystopia writers at?