Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UntakenNameFtw t1_iy6zvd7 wrote

Thanks! He has the power of luck. But to describe further it's more like he has control over his own fate and bend others fates and destinies to his will. There is a limit and a drawback if he uses too much. I always wanted to read a book on this kind of power. Saw this prompt and it fit.

P.s. if anyone has read a book with a similar power let me know. I will probably read it. Lol

S1eepyZ t1_iy72ftv wrote

It’s not quite that, but Wizard for Hire has a good bit of luck/magic/fate, and is one of my favorite books. Not quite sure what about it, but your story reminded me a bit of Will Blank and the Imagination, so you might like that too.

UntakenNameFtw t1_iy72x7i wrote

Thanks! I'll look into these later. :)

S1eepyZ t1_iy7adgt wrote

A bit more information is that Will Blank is more superheroy, and Wizard for hire is more action/adventure, with a mystery through most of the book I won’t spoil. (They are both trilogies if I remember right, Wizard for hire by Obert Skye, don’t remember the author of Will Blank)

Rajani_Isa t1_iy7my8v wrote

Super Powereds by Drew Hayes.

Supers : People with powers.

Powereds : People with powers they have little/no control over. One you meet in passing is a man who teleports to a random location whenever they sneeze. Other than not being in any immediate physical danger they can appear anywhere. The only control they have is they carry a feather. To force a teleport if they're in danger. One of the main characters floats whenever they get happy.

Anyway, one of the main characters has the power of luck. Very bipolar, one instance had him winning money, then getting hit by a car (IIRC).

In the books, the main characters undergo a procedure to move them from Powereds to Supers. The luck guy starts out very reluctant to use their power but learns to trust it more.

From the amazon page of book one:

>Knowledge is power. That would be the motto of Lander University, had it not been snatched up and used to death by others long before the school was founded. For while Lander offers a full range of courses to nearly all students, it also offers a small number of specialty classes to a very select few. Lander is home to the Hero Certification Program, a curriculum designed to develop student with superhuman capabilities, commonly known as Supers, into official Heroes.

>Five of this year’s freshmen are extra special. They have a secret aside from their abilities, one that they must guard from even their classmates. Because for every one person in the world with abilities they can control, there are three who lack such skill. These lesser super beings, Powereds as they are called, have always been treated as burdens and second class citizens. Though there has been ample research in the area, no one has ever succeeded in turning a Powered into a regular human, let alone a Super.

>That is, until now…

Pique_Pub t1_iy8cry3 wrote

Not a fate power, but Larry Niven's Ringworld series has a character who is the result of a genetic breeding program to create luck, and she is in fact extremely lucky. Unfortunately, what's lucky for her isn't always what's lucky for the people around her...

Frost890098 t1_iy8zxi6 wrote

Have you read any of the Xanth novels? One of the characters has a power like this. I want to say Spell for Chameleon was the first. Lost of puns and jokes. His spell/power works like this.

amishbill t1_iy9v6fh wrote

The 'passive' aspect of his power reminded me a little of Keepsie's.... A good story about a barkeep with a very low ranked power. :-)