Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

whys0brave t1_ixq3q73 wrote

Everybody knows that no one who is smart, stable, and successful smokes. When you see someone smoking you automatically know that they are struggling. Smokers are not stable in their life. Smokers are not happy in their life. Smoking is self destructive and only appeals to people who cannot comprehend how to cope with life otherwise. Smoking is a huge red flag. People who smoke are undesirable to those who do not. People who smoke are inconsiderate of others as that toxic poison pollutes the air and the streets causing harm to the innocent humans and animals and fish. Smoking is something that people do because at some point they were weak enough to try, despite knowing how horrible and unbeneficial it is, and now they are too weak to stop. Smoking exposes weaknesses. Smoking displays a lack of control over one's own life. Choosing to pay money to those companies is choosing to fund the world's greatest evils. People may not always be honest enough to say it out loud but most people who do not smoke have absolutely have no respect for those who do.

sharaq t1_ixqm5lh wrote

If the point of this is to illustrate how hyperbolic DARE ads are you really nailed it.

whys0brave t1_ixrow1t wrote

No use being mad at the truth

sharaq t1_ixrqyar wrote

I don't smoke and I don't have this ludicrous attitude towards people who smoke, a writing prompt is not a place for your manifesto against things you don't like.

EyeSprout t1_ixryqgb wrote

If your manifesto happens to perfectly fit the writing prompt whether intentionally or not, it's probably fine lol.

sharaq t1_ixrz95f wrote

I'm a doctor and I don't even hate smoking as much as you people hate smokers.

EyeSprout t1_ixrzu8z wrote

What gave you the idea I hate smokers?

sharaq t1_ixs00zo wrote

The manifesto above is entirely about how inferior smokers are as people and you seem to be pretty on board with it, so that's how i got that impression.

EyeSprout t1_ixs09eq wrote

... wait, the point was to parody a DARE ad, right?

sharaq t1_ixs2ocv wrote

Right, like I said, if that was the goal it succeeded, but there's people that unironically say this kind of stuff and I kind of got the feeling that the post was guided by that.

EyeSprout t1_ixsyt4q wrote

The thing I was trying to say was that if it succeeded in conveying a parody of the DARE stuff, then it's fine, regardless of the actual intention behind the comment? It doesn't matter what the person who wrote the comment thinks, that doesn't stop us from treating it as a parody.

sharaq t1_ixt1e63 wrote

I agree and disagree. There's nothing stopping people treating anything as a parody, but if the author writes unironically, it literally isn't a parody. I could be hyperbolic and say "we could treat mein kampf as parody, doesn't mean it is", but I think I can find a more contemporary example without having to resort to Godwin's Law.

American Psycho was written as a parody, and is interpreted as such, but the author has admitted that Bateman was a self insert for his own frustration with women and fitting in as a 27 year old (the same age as the character). Its a fascinating character study, but it still bears mentioning that the person who wrote it was fucked in the head. So yes, I don't disagree that a parody can be dissociated from the author, but it also needs to be said that sometimes, people with deeply misanthropic views use parody as a veneer to say what vitriolic opinions they hold while using that veneer as a shield to escape criticism of their strange and disturbing views.