Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

americanfalcon00 t1_j01ly2g wrote

After months of encrypted email exchange, careful assurances, and a few false starts, Clark had finally met the source in a greasy back-alley Chinese joint and was now riding the train back uptown. He had hours of recordings to review. Incredibly, the man had been willing to go on record exposing the CIA's black program on behavior modification - a combination of low dose psychoactive drugs administered secretly in a target's food; modulated subliminal messaging through infiltrated social media, internet, and communication channels; and repeated near-field microwave irradiation of the brain to induce states of mania and suggestibility.

The most damning testimony was that the program had been running a test phase on American citizens for the last 2 years - some of them highly placed business and social personalities like Elon and Ye - and was now entering the Phase 3 trial targeting mid-level US political representatives.

All his travels, all the tragedies he had prevented with his godlike powers, the depravity of humanity he had witnessed again and again as Superman - but it was this program, which he had patiently and painstakingly uncovered as investigative journalist Clark Kent, which horrified him beyond words. His mind wandered darkly as the rhythmic sounds of the train carried him home.

He almost didn't notice the tiny pinprick of a needle trying and failing to enter his upper thigh. By the time he looked up in surprise, his neighbor had stood, discreetly dropped something on the floor, and was making his way to the just-opened exit at 42nd street.

Clark gave no response, but he let his senses follow the man as he left the train and walked down the platform and into a narrow stairwell, losing himself in the crowd. A quick look showed the man carried a wallet whose ID read Michael Johnson, no cell phone - strange - but he had a small radio in his pocket connected to a collar mic. And a concealed gun holstered on his right hip. As the train started to pull away, Clark heard the man talk into his mic: "Negative contact, negative contact. Equipment failure. Return site bravo."

Clark stood and started making his way toward the back of the train, gently but insistently shoving his way through the packed cars. His mind was racing. His heart would be too, if it could. He came to the back of the train, miraculously empty, and with a silent apology he removed his glasses, looked up, and let the unquenchable energies boiling within him briefly escape out through his eyes, where they instantly vaporized a section of the train's ceiling. He had flown up and out before the whistling sound of the hole reached the nearest passenger.

He took a short ballistic arc back downtown, topping out at 3,000 feet and descending meteorically over Chinatown. He scanned a 5 block radius around the restaurant, then 10, then 15 - and that was when he saw the contact. He was lying prone on the street, his arms and legs uselessly splayed, and a crowd was gathering around him. Is there a doctor here? What's wrong with him? Oh god. Someone call 911. Even from the sky Clark could see the man would be dead in seconds.

He landed softly in the middle of the crowd - they immediately withdrew to give him space - knelt and draped his cape over the dying man's torso. He saw a telltale pinprick in the man's upper thigh. He saw the man's heart spasming with each beat, laboring with each pulse of precious lifeblood, failing, fading. He died.

Clark closed his eyes and allowed himself one deep breath, one silent moment. He felt the roar of the energies inside him, the stored sunlight pleading for a purpose, roiling, insisting. He gathered his cape and stood and turned to a woman in the crowd and said, "Please call an ambulance. This man is dead, but he deserves to be seen by a doctor."

As the woman took out her phone she asked, "What about you? What are you going to do?"

He looked at her: a middle aged woman, worn down by the world but not broken, accustomed to loss, saddened by what she'd just seen but not shocked. Well acquainted with tragedy.

Truth, he almost replied. And justice. But he made no response and instead ascended slowly and gently into the air so as not to disturb the cooling corpse, accelerating as he rose, breaking the sound barrier before he'd cleared the 10th story of the nearby buildings, and flew a line as straight and true as a ray of light toward the 42nd street train station.

LyonDeTerre t1_j01mn5h wrote

Fantastic, love the first person supes point of view. "Apolegtically" zapping the train ceiling, those are the nice kind of touches that give Clark his character. 10/10 would read again

americanfalcon00 t1_j01mto4 wrote

Thanks! Glad you liked it. I love Superman as a character and it's really fun to write about him.

Funandgeeky t1_j02wn4y wrote

This is why I think people saying "Superman is a boring character" are incredibly wrong. He's not boring. He's very, very interesting and nuanced. Because he's both Clark and Superman. He has vulnerabilities, just not those that are immediately obvious. He also must be creative, more than people realize, in solving problems.

Your story is fantastic and I'd love to see more like this.

magus2003 t1_j035xw1 wrote

That's the distinction for me, Supes is boring. Whatever power he needs he's got, immortal, etc.

Kent is interesting as hell. Trying to be a reporter and live a life while hiding what is essentially God hood.

Funandgeeky t1_j036u96 wrote

The best Superman stories are the ones where he can't just use his powers to automatically win. He has to figure out how to use his powers, when to not use his powers, and make choices about who he saves and who doesn't get saved as a result.

Jollysatyr201 t1_j040wl0 wrote

I agree completely- my favorite scene of him choosing who gets saved has a great parallel in Greek myth in the Iliad.

Zeus wants to save Sarpedon, but Hera tells him it is forbidden. Because he doesn’t save him, the Trojan war ends and thousands live.

Clark wants to save Lois, but Jor-el tells him it is forbidden. Because he saves Lois, he must deal with the consequences of his actions and the people he did not save as a result.

Lord_Nivloc t1_j1tj0w6 wrote

Superman fighting bad guys isn’t interesting

But Superman trying to persuade people to be better? That’s interesting. How does he win people over? How does he change society without resorting to violence or autocracy?

Even if Supes isn’t trying to fix systemic problems, he can change people just by being himself. He can inspire people.

There’s a lot of stories you can tell. For example, what happens when Superman’s heroics inspire a young boy, and that boy then tries to stop a robbery at a local store and gets shot? That would wound Superman like no bullet can. And while Superman is trying to figure out what he could have, should have done, life doesn’t wait.

There’s another boy to inspire with inspiring words. There’s another villain to put a stop to without allowing any harm to come to anyone. Louis asked for a favor, Clark Kent has a report coming up, a politician wants a photo op, and all Superman wants to do is fly back to his fortress of solitude. He wants, just for one second, for this responsibility to be lifted from his shoulders. He wants, just once, to take the quick and easy way.

But he can’t. He can’t let go of the responsibility, he can’t use violence to solve problems, he can’t order people around, and he must continue to inspire people.

And it’s all worth it, because he does inspire people. He does save people. The henchman he spared, looked in the eye like the faceless mook was a real human now has a productive job. There are countless children happier and more optimistic about life because Superman is there.

Superman is a simple character. He’s as close to perfect as you can get (and he has to be, any abuse of power or laziness would be catastrophic), and he doesn’t change, doesn’t have a normal character arc.

Because Superman works as hard as he can to change the hearts and minds of other people. He is a beacon of hope. He is the catalyst for their character arcs.

LyonDeTerre t1_j01n8ww wrote

Same! You smashed it. My post here is my second ever on WP and my first about Superman so I had a blast. People think he's difficult to characterise, he's not. He's just a good egg from Kansas.

Twoheaven t1_j04gdzh wrote

And I love that you gave his powers/sunlight it's own character almost, that was fantastic to read.

awwyeahbb t1_j01zw44 wrote

Superman's true power being a groundbreaking journalist would be a good spin on him.

QwahaXahn t1_j02afxd wrote

It's an element that comes up a good bit in some of his best comics!

Funandgeeky t1_j02w7y7 wrote

There's even an episode of the 90's animated series where he uncovers a conspiracy but does so as Clark, not Supermam. So Clark is the target. It's a pretty good episode and a lot darker than expected.

MATlad t1_j03baar wrote

Superman is probably the portrait of an ubermensch, and yet he accepts control and authority over his power (and every time he breaks his controls, it turns into a dystopian elseworld). But even Superman can't save the world--it's up to Clark Kent to spread the word, and to inspire everybody else to do the right thing when it's needed.

i_need_a_username201 t1_j048hkg wrote

DC would do well to make this the plot of man of steel 2. Even if it’s only the original writing prompt. Would be a breath of fresh air.

americanfalcon00 t1_j04r4pz wrote

The real antagonist in my ideal Superman story wouldn't be a super powered bad guy but rather the quiet banal evil of humanity itself. Our bottomless capacity for self harm. Even Superman would be challenged to overcome this and you can bet he isn't going to punch his way out of it.

Taolan13 t1_j04p8wc wrote

Gods alive this was beautiful.

Can you like, get licensed by DC to novelize Supes? Not in-house like as a contractor so you can maintain some creative independence.

This made me feel for the Man of Steel in an intensity I haven't since my teen years.

americanfalcon00 t1_j04qs2d wrote

Thanks for sharing! To be honest, I've always wanted to write a real Superman story - one that makes me feel the things I could never quite get from the official versions. Because they all make the same mistake of focusing on his strength. So writing this little prompt was very cathartic. I'd love to do more of it!

Taolan13 t1_j04rf2a wrote

Hard agree on all points my dude.

The best bits of the 90s batman and superman cartoons were Batman being the "worlds greatest detective" and Clark Kent being a great investigative journalist.

superanth t1_j1yos9t wrote

Dang this was great. I love imagining the vengeance Superman could visit upon a rogue CIA.