Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

shiveringsongs t1_j6oyii6 wrote

It was ironic. After years of voice lessons that took me nowhere because of my own lack of discipline, years of failed community theatre auditions, I awoke one morning with the voice of an angel.

A snow angel.

You see, anyone who hears my now-beautiful singing voice starts to shiver. Within a few verses, they're starting to turn blue. I've never pushed it farther than that; hypothermia isn't something I want to play with.

I was given a brief solo in a production of Annie, but after the complaints from the audience - not to mention my fellow cast members - the creative team asked me oh-so-kindly not to audition for any future shows.

I kept my head (and my voice) down for months after that. It's easy not to sing, really. Especially after years of thinking you're horrible at it.

But then, things on the news started getting weird. Local politicians started acting unanimously, as though they had all been bribed by one determined individual.

It was a few weeks before the word got out: he called himself the Heat Whisperer. Apparently, he would whisper commands over and over. The people hearing them would start to sweat, at first thinking they were intimidated. Their skin would start to turn red, then blister, as they began panting. Nobody could resist obeying him longer than that. He had local government wrapped around his finger before anyone had even heard his name.

I offered my services to law enforcement. They nearly laughed me out of the room, but after a quick demonstration, they saw my potential.

The Heat Whisperer is still hard to catch. He really managed to get his hooks in all over town quite quickly.

But all the cops wear wires now. Little ear pieces, tuned to the same underground radio station. And as for me?

I know a lot of show tunes.

leadMalamute t1_j6nnzzc wrote

Father Frost has come to call
and I am not afraid at all
I'll spend tonight out in the snow
it's only fifty five below
do not fear or sound alarm
I will keep you from all harm
I am not fast but I am strong
and I'll keep going all day long
My feet tread gently in the snow
I feel the cracking ice below
I know that we can't go this way
listen close to what I say
here it is, the way to go
for I can smell it in the snow
I know it's been a year or two
but follow me I'll get you through

lakegirl98 t1_j6oss69 wrote

Just the top of my head peers out of the water, watching as the goons unload crates from a nearby semi onto their boat... Their island base sat empty with "For Sale" signs on the banks for years because of the lack of power lines. Guess that doesn't matter when you have technology that far outruns a regular generator....

Shockwave moved to the area 3 years ago and completely took over the lake... Business owners cower before him, and what was once a flourishing summer destination is now completely dead.... Why travel to a lake where everyone is scared to go on the water?

For years, my powers seemed pointless, but now I'm the favorite spy amongst the Gifted... Remember the intro scene to Percy Jackson where he's sitting in the pool? Sometime during my teens, I accidentally discovered that I could do the same. Breathing underwater was little more than a party trick, or so I thought... Now, it's the only way to get near Shockwave and his followers without getting launched into a nearby building.

So here I sit, peeking out of the water like a demented crocodile, gathering information for those with more interesting powers...

AutoModerator t1_j6n68hg wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* No AI-generated reponses 🤖 >* Stories 100 words+. Poems 30+ but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* [RF] and [SP] for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

khalasss t1_j6pfjcb wrote

I see the villain doing villain things. I shout "khalas" (in Arabic it basically means "stop it"). The end. Best username superpower ever.

Cyno_Mahamatra t1_j6ogcto wrote

I guess that makes me a police interrogator (bad cop) that commands lightning and electricity, while being the absolute best at comedy.

TankChan t1_j6pis7i wrote

That’s an interesting username Op… what would your power be?