Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BitsAndBobs304 OP t1_jbabxvh wrote

why would the bottom of a pan get to 210C when cooking by induction? can you imagine cooking some piece of chicken at 210C in a pan?

−18

kore_nametooshort t1_jbackit wrote

Frying pans run much hotter than that. Much hotter than ovens for sure.

upvoatsforall t1_jbafn1d wrote

They can get much hotter but if you don’t want to burn stuff you can cook at lower temperature. Some fancy new induction tops allow you to set the temperature of the pan. Non stick coatings burn off at around 500 F. So I keep a laser thermometer to keep tabs on the temp.

NeverPlayF6 t1_jbaqw17 wrote

Just a heads up- laser thermometers are actually infrared thermometers that measure the IR emitted as blackbody radiation. Each substance has a emissivity coefficient that has a significant effect on the measured temperature. Most IR thermometers are set to a default of 0.95 which is fantastic, since that is the emissivity value of cooking oil... but if you're trying to measure the surface temperature of a pan, it could vary substantially.

tjeulink t1_jbacrz5 wrote

thats a pretty normal temperature to cook chicken at. searing meat is done 315c. cooking chicken and other meats usually at 150-200c. usually when cooking meat you sear it first to lock in moisture and flavor.

DriizzyDrakeRogers t1_jbajlac wrote

I sear steaks, pork chops, and chicken at 400-420F (around 210C) on my induction cooktop all the time.

Calembreloque t1_jbantwr wrote

Do you think that induction cooks things without heating them up somehow? There's no direct flame but at the end of the day the principle is still to heat the bottom of the pan so you can cook its contents. A quick look online will tell you that induction ovens can heat things up to 350°C.

black_brook t1_jbanm1e wrote

People often underestimate the temperature the frying pan gets to because the food is actively cooling off by the moisture in it changing phase to steam. The pan needs to be hotter than the food will actually cook at to compensate for this, and the bottom of the pan will be hotter than the surface of the pan which is in contract with food and having heat actively draw off.

atomfullerene t1_jbaq4wy wrote

The pan has to be hotter than the chicken to heat it effectively