Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kreepysol t1_j1yfvfe wrote

That's honestly so cute

Yutanox t1_j1yx0a6 wrote

That's scary how much it looks like a human hand, also, what's that black thing on top of it?

einat162 t1_j1yycmd wrote

We found Paris and Janeway's babies.

catmaydo t1_j1znbd1 wrote

Of all the shady things Janeway did in violation of the prime directive, abandoning her new-species, warpspeedx11 lizard kids was really one of the worst.

Spare-Competition-91 t1_j1zazn3 wrote

I saw one of those in person. Way larger than I imagined. Looked like if I talked to it, it would give me a quest.

CasseyZzZs t1_j1yf6i3 wrote

Soon you'll be ruler of all salamanders.

isecore t1_j1ylp7j wrote

Isn't it technically a paw? Just wondering. It's a cool pic either way.

tarrox1992 t1_j1ze8wm wrote

Paws are a mammalian trait. This would technically be a foot.

isecore t1_j1zonsr wrote

Thanks for clearing that up! +1 informative

PA55W0RD t1_j1yxjwm wrote

It is amazing to me that every land living or amphibious animal (including those that returned to water or took to air) that descended from the first fish that ventured onto land still have the basic 4 limb/5 fingers configuration.

That could have so easily have been 6 limbs/more fingers had our common ancestor have been different. Or changed somewhere along the way.... yet we share the same number of limbs/fingers with an amphibian with which our last common ancestor was 350 million years ago.

Edit: To clarify, I am only talking about the ancestors of the first tetrapod which evolved from tetrapod-like fish. Insects and other arthropods conquered land before us.

Many tetrapods have also lost digits and limbs on the way, birds, whales, snakes etc. None however have gained extra limbs or fingers as the norm, even though polydactyl gene mutations are quite common.

Tifoid t1_j1z9zri wrote

What about snakes (no limbs), insects like centipedes and ants (more than 4 limbs), animals with hooves (no fingers)?

Guess you are right for land based mammals … but not “every land living or amphibious animal”.

volpiousraccoon t1_j20fy0b wrote

It should be more like every tetrapod (four-limbed vertebrate that share ancestry with fish) has 4 limbs and 5-ish fingers configuration.

You are correct when you said that there are exceptions to this with some changes in fingers number and some animals with missing/vestigial limbs but the configuration it is generally true for most tetrapods. Some hooved mammals have one or two big fingers for their hooves because they evolved to loose their other digits over time. Marine mammals like whales are still considered therapods even though they do not really have back legs anymore but they still have the five finger configuration. Snakes are still considered tetrapod because their ancestors were reptiles that had all 4 limbs. It's kind of confusing and complicated, but generally the limb configuration is true for land-living vertebrates.

Insects and centipedes are not even vertebrates, so they do not have anatomy similar to tetrapods. It's kind of complicated but really cool to learn about once you get into it.

TinTamarro t1_j1zjt5s wrote

Insects didn't descend fron fish?????

And snakes lost their limbs but their ancestors still had 4? And horses too?

Myyke t1_j1ynxt3 wrote

That's a big old boy right there

steve329 t1_j1z73tx wrote

The best part was that she was having a bad day and the salamander sensed it and reached out to comfort her.

Seluin t1_j1zatx3 wrote

My hands look like this… so his hands can look like this

EvLokadottr t1_j20cvfa wrote

I ... I wanna hold hands with it.

kpdrama1991 t1_j212tf7 wrote

That hand looks like the hand of a friend

fraze2000 t1_j1yh8pm wrote

Sorry... which one is the salamander's hand?

Kleisidike t1_j1ynv1w wrote

and if I cut off my finger, a new one grows back - what about you Hooman !

barbermom t1_j1zomcp wrote

Aww! Look at those tiny squishy toes!

a-sentient-slav t1_j1z6w1l wrote

Hello, you humans! This is Chief Salamander speaking...

eternaldumy t1_j1z7t1p wrote

That’s like a baby hand

qtfrutii t1_j21bsk3 wrote

Show us the rest of it!!

Obvious_Pen3045 t1_j225bn0 wrote

My zoology professor had a theory that the loch Ness minster was a species of salamander.

JamarLouis t1_j1yxavz wrote

Atleast he trusted you <3 <3

TinTamarro t1_j1zk1g5 wrote

Better not trust him tho, I heard he's a backstabber

Educational-Show-113 t1_j1zt7dn wrote

Has anyone read War with the Newts by Karel Čapek? I say be careful with these Tapa Boys 😑

Y8ser t1_j20siuh wrote

Wow!

Tenaflyrobin t1_j23mhrl wrote

Googled it to see the entire salamander and whoa! It's pretty, um, a face only a mother could love. Yikes!

Classic-Pie-7625 t1_j23sqc0 wrote

I’d like to see the rest of it. Any pictures? (Yes I’m also going to Google images but I’m kind of invested in this specific salamander now)

BlahajMafia t1_j21ivl2 wrote

Girl, this didn't make me aww it made me reach for bleach.