Submitted by Aflamann t3_1271n18 in baltimore

I finally got to Lexington Market at lunchtime for the first time since the renovations. I got a rockfish from Cho's Sea Garden on the lower level. Based on the size I assume it was farmed, not wild. The rockfish were all good quality with clear eyes, and they did a good job fileting it. Unfortunately I was distracted looking around and forgot to ask for the head and bones.

Cho's had a decent selection of other fish. Some filets, but mostly whole. Lake trout, of course, plus porgie, spot, oyster trout, catfish, snapper and a few others I forgot about.They were around before the renovation too and I remember them being solid, so it's good to see them back. They seemed to be doing decent business while I was there.

Faidley's is still open in the other building if you prefer them too.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Level-Worldliness-20 t1_jec44ph wrote

Did you happen to see any Mahi Mahi, and if so how much per pound?

Oh and if you don't mind sharing the price of your order, please?

Aflamann OP t1_jec607m wrote

I don't think there was Mahi Mahi, but suddenly I'm doubting that.

It was $9.99/lb whole before fileting. I should have asked for the bones and head for soup to get full value but forgot.

NoMoKraTo t1_jecp8ol wrote

I was fish gazing there on Friday and was pleasantly surprised on the fish prices.

TheCaptainDamnIt t1_jecgpg5 wrote

Thanks for the write up! Do you remember if they happen to have whole fresh sardines? Got a new Mediterranean cookbook.

Aflamann OP t1_jectuzc wrote

I don't think I saw any fresh sardines. However, Lake Trout is actually Silver Hake, which is grouped as whiting and the kind of fish Mediterranean cooks love.

BMoreOnTheWater t1_jef1h5e wrote

Whole fresh sardines can be hard to find at local markets. Often H Mart will have them or Great Wall (also on 40, if it’s still there at all).

HourLake4200 t1_jec9v0r wrote

Cho's always had an excellent selection of fish. Used to visit every 2 weeks until I learnt to fish and traveled to CT for my bass and parties! Prices are pretty decent.

But yes, never forget to ask for your fish head 😂😂

DarkNFullOTerrors t1_jecscgu wrote

Did you see any flounder?

Aflamann OP t1_jecu4va wrote

I think they had small ones. I didn't look closely. I'd definitely suggest looking at Faidley's too.

DarkNFullOTerrors t1_jecud58 wrote

Yea I often buy fish at Faidleys. Looking forward to checking it out, putting on a dinner party next weekend.

Pale-Cantaloupe-9835 t1_jef92ys wrote

Off topic a little-

Is the “Fishmongers Daughter” in downtown Catonsville affiliated with faidleys? I thought it said faidleys then it changed. It’s not open yet but try a crab cake like that at a fancy restaurant with tasty sides and fancy drinks.

Kindly-Block833 t1_jeguso6 wrote

Yes -- it was originally going to called Faidleys but later changed. It seems like they are working on it now -- very slow though.

mdmiles19 t1_jed6ne5 wrote

Rockfish generally are not farmed, how long we talking? Over 24 inches?

Edit: here is a cool article I found that talks about the differences. Most of the country refers to Rockfish as 'Striped Bass', and in my experience as a fish monger in Maryland we used this term to distinguish farmed from wild (i.e. striped bass = farmed ; rockfish = wild)

https://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Striped-Bass-Wild-or-Farmed/