Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FeverishNewt t1_iy6d883 wrote

Sure. Just for context, I grew up and completed the Scouting program as a teen. So I've been consistently hiking and backpacking since I was 13 years old. I'm a bit of an outlier compared to most adults when they are introduced to hiking. My wife started hiking as an adult.

Firstly I like hiking cause it has all kinds of opportunities to meet many types of people. It's probably the easiest of any outdoor activities with a pretty low overhead cost. Basic equipment (boats, socks, jackets, etc.) may be initially expensive but with basic care equipment can last for years. Hiking can be done all year, you can go with a group or you can go alone (hopefully with plenty of experience and safety in mind). You can get familiar with one type of trail and as you're experience grows you'll learn to read maps, follow hiking markers on trees, how to pace yourself crossing rough terrain. Your confidence will grow learning new skills and trying out different places. It's also great exercise with minimal recovery time. When the time comes and you feel ready to you can challenge yourself against longer trails, steeper hills and more rugged terrain. And those kinds of hard but memorable hikes are in the Mid-Atlantic region like Section A of the Billy Goat trail off the C&O canal, Old Rag Mountain in VA, or the Falls trail at Ricketts Glen State Park PA just to name a few. Or you can do weird trails like the Abandoned Highway in PA (my wife is to scared to try this one). Hiking can take you all kinds of places and learn from new challenges.

Two books my wife read when she was starting to get another women's perspective on hiking was: Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail, by Jennifer Pharr Davis, and Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail, by Ben Montgomery

These days I mostly hike trails based on what time permits for and what my wife is capable of doing. When we don't have a lot of time we just walk a 3 mile circuit through our neighborhood that has one decent hill. We complete that in about a little over an hour. When we're both home during the weekend we'll do longer hikes that last for a few hours and vary between 5 to 7 miles. I try to get most of my hiking done in the morning so there's enough time for sunlight while we're out. It's good idea to avoid hiking in the evening to prevent getting lost, loosing situational awareness, or having to rush a hike to get it done before the sun sets. To keep hikes interesting once and a while we'll do something different that's less about hiking and more about nature. For example we'll go on a bird hike with the Baltimore Bird Club, attend a state park nature program hosted by the rangers, go walking around ArtScape or some weird Baltimore festival. All kinds of stuff to do, just have to pick a theme your interested in and sneak in a couple of miles while attending it.

There's a ton of contextual stuff you'll come across getting started. Drop me a message if you have any questions regarding you're journey with hiking. Good luck!

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy7l6c9 wrote

Thanks a lot, this is very interesting to read! I actually was planning to do this alone starting out i hope I’ll be okay!

FeverishNewt t1_iy8c8xh wrote

Make sure to take Mace along. Not for people, but as insurance for dog owner who let their pups wonder off leash while hiking. I've mostly met wonderfully socialized dogs while hiking. But I've also seen a handful of off leash dogs act aggressive try to start fights. If the dog owner cannot get their animal under control Mace might make the difference in walking back to your car unharmed or going to a hospital.

Also when hiking alone make sure you let a friend or family member know where you're hiking and what time you expect to get back. And then text them when your done. If they don't hear from you they can contact emergency personnel. Additionally check your battery level and cell phone service at the trailhead before going on a hike. You want to make sure you are receiving service if you're hiking alone.

A lot of people leave trail reviews online. Look up the trail you're interested in to see what other people's experiences are with it. Good luck!

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy8p6tr wrote

Thank you!! Where do I buy mace?

FeverishNewt t1_iy90i19 wrote

Hmm. Good question. I think there are rules to who can and can't sell it. I live in Baltimore County and haven't seen it sold in Dept Stores. But I know over in Howard County I've been able to find it for sale in Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods. Might want to call around where you live to see if anyone has any before making a trip for it.