Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

The_Waxies_Dargle t1_ixycm2m wrote

Depending on how serious you intened to be, I'd go to REI and explain your goals and see what they recommend. If your feet need a little more attention you can try Falls Road Running Store or Charm City Run. My shoe of choice is the Hoka (One One) but this more for running cause I had debilitating plantar fasciitis. Hoka does make a hybrid hiker that I wore on a jaunt down the AT a few years back that is awesome too.

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_ixyd4ez wrote

Thanks! I tried hoka for hiking and I didn’t like it. Could be just that model though.

Also need to find a good stylist travel shoe. Sigh

The_Waxies_Dargle t1_ixyef86 wrote

They have a high platform to be sure. Also, not sure what a stylist travel shoe is. But I kind of dress like vagabond most days so we may not have overlapping goals in this area.

[deleted] t1_ixysote wrote

Arched shoe insoles make more of a difference than actual shoes for me.

Hiking depends where you are, how far you’ll travel, and how intense you want the hike

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy4adg6 wrote

What company do you recommend for insoles?

[deleted] t1_iy4hpmn wrote

Up to you and your feet. Show companies make their own that tend to be solid. Stay away from Dr Scholl’s. They’re the shittiest quality in my experience.

But mostly having them there is more important than having perfect ones.

buuj214 t1_ixz7mwv wrote

Almost all of the hiking throughout the area will be beginner-friendly. Lake Roland has parking and only a couple trails- you can just start walking and turn around when you want. You can walk around Druid Hill; there are paved and unpaved trails there, so a good mix for beginners - parking throughout the park or recommend the end of Parkdale Ave. Wyman Park has a little easy trail- street parking. Out of the city, Loch Raven and Patapsco have tons of trails that are beginner friendly while offering strenuous climbs or distances. I like starting at the parking area off Dulaney Valley rd just west of the bridge at Loch Raven. For Patapsco, recommend parking on Rolling Road in Catonsville (basically opposite the park and ride at the end of 195).

I couldn’t tell you trail names but I recommend just trying different routes and seeing what you like, rather than trying to stick to a particular trail. Just make sure you have a map or AllTrails or something. OnTheGoMap works well too.

Recommend REI for boots. Try a bunch on, get some input from staff etc.

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_ixzm9el wrote

This is great thanks a bunch.

How do I personally know it’s time to turn around? Do people normally hike alone?

buuj214 t1_ixzo8mr wrote

All of these parks will have plenty of people hiking and biking so safety shouldn’t be an issue, especially out in the county. No wildlife concerns; bears aren’t an issue here. Injury is always something to consider, if you slip in a stream crossing or whatever but again, should be plenty of people on these trails. I’d say it’s fine to hike alone, but for context I’m a 6’2” male so, grain of salt.

You’ll need to judge when to turn around based on fitness level but regardless, bring water and maybe even a clif bar or something. Maybe just go 20 mins out, and back on your first go. See how that feels, then you have a baseline and you can do 25 mins or whatever next time. Plus you know if you like that particular route or want to try something else. It’s ok to hike a short distance but it is not ok to realize you hiked too far out. But again, all these trails are beginner friendly.

Btw in this area it’s supposed to be bikers yield to hikers and both yield to horses. In reality a hiker not letting a mountain biker pass on a descent or a climb is a total dick move. Also don’t feel offended if a biker rings a bell- just trying to make sure you know they’re there. (Edited: fixed last paragraph)

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy4ai8q wrote

That reminds me, I need to buy a bike. I love riding one but I don’t want anything I have to bend on. Where should I go looking for one?

And when is the best time to buy?

Loudermilk420 t1_ixyf146 wrote

My wife swears by Merrell shoes. As for hiking. Fort howard, fort armastead, double rock in parkville. Tons of hiking around. Northpoint park.

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_ixynlwe wrote

Thanks, I guess my hiking question was more around what trail should a starter pursue ? And kind of knowledge plus location sort of question. If that makes sense?

I didn’t mention safety but are they all pretty safe around here?

Loudermilk420 t1_ixypmd0 wrote

Fort howard is safe and easy. North point is safe and easy. None of the places i mentioned are tough hikes. Just safe little parks with some woods and cool stuff. Be a little weary of armistead park tough best of luck

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_ixyq3au wrote

Thanks for the pointer, I’ll watch out for that one! :) I hear cherry hill is also to be avoided do you know?

buuj214 t1_ixz9iff wrote

Probably referring to Middle Branch Park. Probably not that dangerous now, but definitely not hiking. It’s like a paved sidewalk. Nice walk; decent chance your car gets broken into; not hiking nor especially scenic.

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_ixzlv2u wrote

Good to know, I will avoid. Thanks! What other trails should I avoid so that my car doesn’t get broken into?

buuj214 t1_ixzmpiw wrote

Honestly none that I know of. Middle branch is just a park with an asphalt path- wouldn’t call it a trail. Mostly anything with trails will be safe, maybe sans leakin park and possibly parts of herring run but even those should probably be perfectly fine

citizenkrang t1_ixyzuaz wrote

As mentioned by others, Double Rock, North point, and Fort Howard are all great and I'd also add Leakin Park to that list. If you want to venture out a little further Annapolis Rocks is a great day hike near Frederick. Further out still is Old Rag Mountain which is in the Shenandoah Valley and is one of my favorite day hikes. This book has lots of good suggestions as well: 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Baltimore

mlorusso4 t1_ixyzurx wrote

A very easy trail that goes through nature rather than neighborhoods or parks is the NCR trail. It’s an old railroad route so it’s flat and paved with gravel. It goes all the way to York PA if you want to do the whole thing (40 miles each way). There’s also plenty of parking at a bunch of the entrances. I usually start at the hunt valley entrance because it’s close to me and has a huge parking lot. Only downsides are it can get pretty crowded when it’s nice out and it’s an end to end trail rather than loop so you need to know when to turn around

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_ixzmegl wrote

Thanks for the suggestion I will check this out sounds beautiful.

How does one know it’s time to turn around?

mlorusso4 t1_iy0e5jq wrote

As in just know when you’ll get tired. Don’t keep hiking until you’re tired because you have to go back the same distance

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy0kspu wrote

Aha, yeah I do this with travel and it always back bites. Because I want to keep going and see more!

sxswnxnw t1_ixytgqk wrote

Looks like someone linked recent discussions on hikes.

I like my Danner Inquire Chukka boots. They're kinda boring and basic, but get the job done. I second REI for whatever shoes you get, I have a very neutral foot though, so get whatever works for you. I go back and forth between the one in Timonium and the one in Columbia... too bad there isn't one in the city itself.

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy4ard1 wrote

Only one of my foot leans in, it’s so annoying really. Thanks I’ll check them out

nico_de_galloo t1_ixyuphx wrote

Yo - just moved here too! I tried my luck on FB and actually found a very solid hiking group. The name of the group is simple “Maryland Hikers”, super active community. I also see a lot of meet-ups being planned

saintnightmare t1_ixzdp8a wrote

I have skechers hiking boots which I bought in a pinch after more expensive ones (very beat up) fell apart mid-hiking-focused vacation. Luckily there was an outlet mall with a skechers store about an hour away from where I was. Shockingly, I have loved them as my hiking boots. Definitely had some break in time but they're SO well priced I have recommended them to many people who are casual hikers.

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_ixzl1yb wrote

Interesting. I would have never thought. Could you share the model number ?

saintnightmare t1_iy030jd wrote

Skechers Women's Relaxed Fit Trego Alpine Trail Hiking Boot is the name of the shoe.. a model number that *might* apply is 167008 ... when I bought them they were on sale

clrlmiller t1_ixzjzso wrote

Close to the city, I’d recommend the trails around Lake Roland and go around the back to the Light Rail crossing. (NOT where you’d get on/off the Lt. Rail, but up the hill in the park, then down the side trail. You’ll figure it out.

Just out of the city is the Goucher Loop which is about a 5k path, you guessed it, looping around the campus of Goucher College. Drive to the back of the campus to the stadium/track and walk up a slight hill to the meadow. You can start in either direction, from the bottom of the meadow or the top. The trail basically follows the campus perimeter. If you’re not familiar with the course, try the start at the bottom of the meadow to walk it counter-clockwise and keep the main campus to your left. You’ll figure it out.

Further away is Cromwell Valley Park and its variety of trails that has elevation change and criss-crossed trails a lot. You CAN get briefly lost or turned around, so have a map or good phone signal for directions.

Further out still are Oregon Park near Hunt Valley with a Lot more elevation change and is simple to navigate with all but one trail returning to your car by going downhill. Maps are available at the visitor center. And then there is Pretty Boy Reservoir up I-83. This has a network of trails but are nearly all ‘out-and-back’ without loops, since they’re around the lake where the city gets most of its water. Loch Raven is similar too. Be safe, pack water, have good boots, let others know where you’re going ahead of time.

BigVikingBeard t1_ixzuv6r wrote

Most of the trails that are part of the Gunpowder Falls are reasonably beginner friendly.

The Hereford Zone trails are probably the easiest to get to, head right up 83, most have a decent bit of parking that only really fills up on the nicer days in the summer.

One recommendation is to avoid the Gunpowder SOUTH (white blazes) trail on the east side of 83 following the river that connects the Panther blue trail and the Sandy Lane pink trail. It has some washouts that become tricky to navigate.

The Central Sweathouse area is also reasonably easy with minimal ascents, though the Sweathouse yellow trail has some spots that aren't super well marked.

Central Pleasantville area, taking the Little Gunpowder white trail and connecting back to the Railway yellow is fairly easy.

Oregon Ridge has some fairly easy and extensive trails, but parking can fill up quickly on nice days.

If you want to go further out, Susquehanna State Park has some nicer trails, but some have a lot more up and down.

As for boots / shoes, it's best you go to REI or w/e and try a bunch on. I am personally partial to Keens, as I have somewhat boxy feet, and I like the more squared off toe box. And they've done right by me twice now with warranty claims.

doughydonuts t1_ixzvxf1 wrote

There’s a lot of places to hike in the Gunpowder Falls State Park with ample parking available. My favorite is Jerusalem Mill area. There’s also Lake Roland, the NCR trail, Patapsco State Park too with numerous entrances with parking.

Previous-Cook t1_iy02xw2 wrote

Patapsco State Park has some lovely trails. Park near the Swinging Bridge and pick a direction :3

Princeton112 t1_iy1636h wrote

Highly recommend going to alltrails.com on your computer or getting the (free) app for your phone. You can search for hikes by area, see what the difficulty level is, read reviews, see pictures, and get directions to the trailhead (which usually means where to park your car). The app lets you navigate the trail and (usually) keep yourself from getting lost/off trail.

mysinful t1_iy17mjh wrote

Trails of the gunpowder up 83. Near pretty boy

Cunninghams_right t1_iy1henk wrote

for shoes, I find that properly fit/arched running shoes make the best hiking shoes. hiking-specific shoes or boots are typically for keeping water out but aren't really better for regular hiking as they can often be heavy and breathe poorly.

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy3e2af wrote

Interesting. I feel running shoes might be slippery? Specially for climbs?

Cunninghams_right t1_iy3zarw wrote

deeper tread that you would find on hiking shoes mostly just gives you the ability to not slip in mud as much. for rocks or slopes, I don't think they give any more grip

FeverishNewt t1_iy25f64 wrote

My wife just bought these Oboz hiking boots @ REI. She likes them. We were out on a bird hike and another woman in our group commented on her boots and had the same brand.
https://www.rei.com/product/203192/oboz-sawtooth-x-mid-waterproof-hiking-boots-womens

If you're able to drive to Patapsco State Park. It has tons of trails to hike on the west side of Baltimore County. The Soapstone trailhead even connects to a public street, S. Rolling Road, that has lots of space for public parking. Parking along Rolling Road and walking into the park means you don't have to pay the $2 per person entrance fee. Pretty nice perk.
https://goo.gl/maps/HZMAAFfdQzPYtgAY6

Patapsco State Park Avalon map
https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/documents/patapsco_avalonmap.pdf

I'm an avid hiker and have been to most of the available parks around Baltimore County. I don't know to much about the downtown trail offerings. But it sounds like other people in this thread can cover that for you. Let me know if you have any pertinent questions. Good luck and have fun.

UPDATE: Here's a recommendation for looking at trails downtown Walking Baltimore. I met the author, Evan Balkan @ an REI meet and greet. His written trail descriptions are pretty good. He's the same author that wrote, 60 hikes within 60 miles, Baltimore, that someone else recommended. You should be able to get these books from your Enoch Pratt library branch.
Walking Baltimore: An Insider's Guide to 33 Historic Neighborhoods, Waterfront Districts, and Hidden Treasures in Charm City, by Evan Balkan (2013 ed)
https://catalog.prattlibrary.org/client/en_US/default/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1597479/ada?qu=walking+baltimore&d=ent%3A%2F%2FSD_ILS%2F0%2FSD_ILS%3A1597479%7EILS%7E5&h=8
60 Hikes Within 60 Miles, Baltimore : Including Anne Arundel, Carroll, Cecil, Harford, And Howard Counties, by Evan Balkan (2009 ed)
https://catalog.prattlibrary.org/client/en_US/default/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1483903/ada?qu=60+hikes+within+60+miles+baltimore&d=ent%3A%2F%2FSD_ILS%2F0%2FSD_ILS%3A1483903%7EILS%7E1&h=8
60 Hikes Within 60 Miles : Baltimore : Including Anne Arundel, Carroll, Harford, And Howard Counties, by Allison Sturm (2019 ed)
https://catalog.prattlibrary.org/client/en_US/default/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:2046135/ada?qu=60+hikes+within+60+miles+baltimore&d=ent%3A%2F%2FSD_ILS%2F0%2FSD_ILS%3A2046135%7EILS%7E2&h=8

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy3dhjv wrote

Thanks a lot for taking the time to type all this great info!

Since you’re an avid hiker, may I ask what keeps you going and do you ever get bored of the trails? How do you decide what level of trail you want to pursue on a particular day?

FeverishNewt t1_iy6d883 wrote

Sure. Just for context, I grew up and completed the Scouting program as a teen. So I've been consistently hiking and backpacking since I was 13 years old. I'm a bit of an outlier compared to most adults when they are introduced to hiking. My wife started hiking as an adult.

Firstly I like hiking cause it has all kinds of opportunities to meet many types of people. It's probably the easiest of any outdoor activities with a pretty low overhead cost. Basic equipment (boats, socks, jackets, etc.) may be initially expensive but with basic care equipment can last for years. Hiking can be done all year, you can go with a group or you can go alone (hopefully with plenty of experience and safety in mind). You can get familiar with one type of trail and as you're experience grows you'll learn to read maps, follow hiking markers on trees, how to pace yourself crossing rough terrain. Your confidence will grow learning new skills and trying out different places. It's also great exercise with minimal recovery time. When the time comes and you feel ready to you can challenge yourself against longer trails, steeper hills and more rugged terrain. And those kinds of hard but memorable hikes are in the Mid-Atlantic region like Section A of the Billy Goat trail off the C&O canal, Old Rag Mountain in VA, or the Falls trail at Ricketts Glen State Park PA just to name a few. Or you can do weird trails like the Abandoned Highway in PA (my wife is to scared to try this one). Hiking can take you all kinds of places and learn from new challenges.

Two books my wife read when she was starting to get another women's perspective on hiking was: Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail, by Jennifer Pharr Davis, and Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail, by Ben Montgomery

These days I mostly hike trails based on what time permits for and what my wife is capable of doing. When we don't have a lot of time we just walk a 3 mile circuit through our neighborhood that has one decent hill. We complete that in about a little over an hour. When we're both home during the weekend we'll do longer hikes that last for a few hours and vary between 5 to 7 miles. I try to get most of my hiking done in the morning so there's enough time for sunlight while we're out. It's good idea to avoid hiking in the evening to prevent getting lost, loosing situational awareness, or having to rush a hike to get it done before the sun sets. To keep hikes interesting once and a while we'll do something different that's less about hiking and more about nature. For example we'll go on a bird hike with the Baltimore Bird Club, attend a state park nature program hosted by the rangers, go walking around ArtScape or some weird Baltimore festival. All kinds of stuff to do, just have to pick a theme your interested in and sneak in a couple of miles while attending it.

There's a ton of contextual stuff you'll come across getting started. Drop me a message if you have any questions regarding you're journey with hiking. Good luck!

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy7l6c9 wrote

Thanks a lot, this is very interesting to read! I actually was planning to do this alone starting out i hope I’ll be okay!

FeverishNewt t1_iy8c8xh wrote

Make sure to take Mace along. Not for people, but as insurance for dog owner who let their pups wonder off leash while hiking. I've mostly met wonderfully socialized dogs while hiking. But I've also seen a handful of off leash dogs act aggressive try to start fights. If the dog owner cannot get their animal under control Mace might make the difference in walking back to your car unharmed or going to a hospital.

Also when hiking alone make sure you let a friend or family member know where you're hiking and what time you expect to get back. And then text them when your done. If they don't hear from you they can contact emergency personnel. Additionally check your battery level and cell phone service at the trailhead before going on a hike. You want to make sure you are receiving service if you're hiking alone.

A lot of people leave trail reviews online. Look up the trail you're interested in to see what other people's experiences are with it. Good luck!

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy8p6tr wrote

Thank you!! Where do I buy mace?

FeverishNewt t1_iy90i19 wrote

Hmm. Good question. I think there are rules to who can and can't sell it. I live in Baltimore County and haven't seen it sold in Dept Stores. But I know over in Howard County I've been able to find it for sale in Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods. Might want to call around where you live to see if anyone has any before making a trip for it.

BeyondRecovery1 OP t1_iy3gp9b wrote

Also what kind of socks does she wear inside such boots? Is normal puma cotton socks okay?

FeverishNewt t1_iy6403j wrote

She likes Smartwool socks. They are mix of wool and synthetic fibers. Good at wicking moisture from your feet making them less prone to blistering. If you experience blistering may also want to look at bodyglide. It's an anti-chafe bar to prevent blisters forming on areas that you're prone to get hotspots on feet. Another strategy to prevent blisters taking an extra pair of socks along. If the pair you're wearing get wet (from water or being to sweaty) you can change to the dry pair.

Cotton is a comfortable fabric for casual and short-term activities. But hikers learn to avoid wearing cotton when possible. You may hear hikers and backpackers use the saying "Cotton kills". What they mean is wet cotton close to your body leads to heat loss and may ultimately contribute to hypothermia. That's kind of an extreme example for someone just starting out. So for you, functionally you want fabric that will wick humidity away from your body. Especially from your feet. Moist feet are prone to hotspots that leads to skin blistering. Blisters require recovery time to heal meaning you'll walk less frequently. Here are articles explaining in more detail:

Why does Cotton Kill?
https://sectionhiker.com/why-does-cotton-kill/#:~:text=If%20the%20air%20is%20colder,if%20you%20become%20too%20chilled.

Why Do Hikers Ignore Hot Spots and Blisters?
https://sectionhiker.com/why-do-hikers-ignore-hot-spots-and-blisters/

Do Sock Liners Prevent Hiking Blisters?
https://sectionhiker.com/do-sock-liners-prevent-hiking-blisters/