Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

hirasmas t1_itvcgxk wrote

The best way to gain karma on the internet is post an "unpopular opinion" that is, in fact, a very popular opinion.

thecaledonianrose t1_itvh47m wrote

Except that this sub-reddit is as much about books that are not liked and why as the reverse. If we start with this, where does it stop? If you demand that Hoover not be discussed, then you have to say the same for all the other authors who keep being posted. No one reads a book the same way you do, for the same reasons. They have just as much freedom to post their opinions as you do.

Selective censorship doesn't play here. If you don't like seeing it, try just scrolling past or use Enhancement Suite, see if you can set a filter.

Flammwar t1_itvkpxc wrote

Yeah, I agree with you. If I’m allowed to praise a book here then I also should be able to criticize it.

People always want constructive criticism but it turns out that they actually don’t want it if it’s against their opinion. Same can be said the other way around obviously.

kmt75 t1_itvfn3w wrote

They're like the only posts that cat lady lets through.

drak0bsidian t1_itvac26 wrote

But everyone needs to hear my opinion wherein I agree with everything that's already been said! My opinion is fact!

rrickitickitavi t1_itvbkz3 wrote

Can't think of another recent book as polarizing as It Ends With Us. I'm on the waitlist at the library so I can find out what all the fuss is about.

AdamInChainz t1_itvcrmc wrote

It's the Ready Player One syndrome.

How many people bashing that book as if their opinion is the only one that matters.

AlunWeaver t1_itvgt69 wrote

>And in fact, these posts are actually the better ones because a lot don't include any thoughts on why the books weren't great, including the #1 post in this sub currently, which doesn't state a single reason they don't like the book they just finished.

There is a rule on this sub about low-effort posts, but it is not enforced stringently if the mods think they will gain traction.

LOTS of interesting shit gets nuked in New. But make a post about how Colleen Hoover is a hack, or how Project Hail Mary just made you love reading again, and it gets to stick around, and often winds up on the front page.

r/books is a lousy sub.

Username_of_Chaos t1_itvl8n6 wrote

Yeah I've stopped trying to post new topics in here because the couple of times I tried, they got taken down as being "low effort" posts...which I personally in my humble opinion disagree with. They were topics I hadn't seen discussed in here before or at least not in the search I made beforehand, and I was genuinely curious to know what people would say. I didn't argue it though, they were just unworthy topics, I guess... well, time to go talk about Colleen Hoover again. I did really dislike Verity.

Bikinigirlout t1_itvmlg8 wrote

Its why I like YALit and 52 books alot more. People at least try to have decent conversations about books, like "I didn't really like this book, but, you might, seems to fit your tropes."

And when theres a post about the "what tiktok books didn't you like" it's more detailed then "It was shit and everyone who likes this book can't read."

fluorescentpopsicle t1_itvjens wrote

I mean, I didn’t even know who Colleen Hoover was until I saw these posts. Maybe a lot of people are just disillusioned by the hype when they finally read them?

I know I was when I finally read The Only Good Indians and Those Across the River (heavily praised online, didn’t live up to the hype for me), I didn’t post about it, but wondered what I was missing/didn’t get?

artemisthewild t1_itvo5aw wrote

I’m not really sure how the same author brought up multiple times every day with someone asking “why is she so popular when her books suck” is allowed. By all means discuss opinions, but the same opinion shared multiple times a day feels more like spam to me than anything.

I’m in a horror fiction group, and I do not see posts about Stephen King every day. Much less multiple posts about him every day.

fezzik02 t1_itvhw8g wrote

Between that and the non-stop Cormac McCarthy knob-slobbering I'm about to leave.

ImAJerk420 t1_itvkq8k wrote

Cormac is the maybe the greatest living author and hasn’t put out a book in 16 years I think it’s okay. only time this sub will talk about decent writing let’s not protest too much.

fezzik02 t1_itvl1py wrote

/r/usernamechecksout

−5

ImAJerk420 t1_itvlhzy wrote

Mate youve got a real low threshold for what’s considered “jerk” behavior

fezzik02 t1_itvlwhc wrote

oh lol no based on the spelling and grammar, I assumed you're as high as I am now.

that said:

> only time this sub will talk about decent writing let’s not protest too much.

I mean, I think that's over the threshhold, it's basically saying any other conversation doesn't count. But I'm totally not afraid of offending an internet stranger.

I've never read McCarthy, but I kind of wish I had so I could make some sort of meaningful comment. I'm going to stick to my Stephenson and Butler instead tho.

−3

UmDoWhatNow t1_itvmeqg wrote

I feel like there are two types of readers: those that can enjoy a book because it's enjoyable and those that can enjoy a book because it feels like a literary master piece. One person can be both.

Colleen Hoover: not a literary master piece. Can it still be enjoyable and it's okay to enjoy it? Yes.

books-ModTeam t1_itvmmv1 wrote

Hi! Please leave your post as a reply to the existing thread. If you have feedback on the subreddit and would like to see rules added or removed, please bring this up during our regular "State of the subreddit" threads. Let us know if you have any questions.

TotallyNotABot369 t1_itvi1lf wrote

I would sign that petition in a heartbeat! Just let people enjoy things. No need to go bashing something just to make themselves feel better about themselves. You're not edgy or superior in any way just because you don't like a popular thing. Geez!

I used to belong to a LOTR group and it went from appreciating Tolkien's work to just bashing the Ring of Power show. Almost every other post was someone ranting about how much they didn't like the show. I haven't seen the show yet so I don't have an opinion about the show either way. But I just got so tired of all the negativity all the time.

−2