Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TamusSenHadar t1_it7wyhz wrote

Yes and no. The rise of the Party is mentioned in bits and pieces later on in the novel, though it's never laid out in any concrete and long sequence of events, and the parts that are told are from people or sources who are intrinsically unreliable. That last bit isn't really a spoiler, since everyone in 1984, by virtue of falsfiled history and the fallibility of human memory, is essentially unreliable to a degree.

1nd3x t1_it89z3c wrote

oh jeeze. I clicked into this post thinking "OP wants a 'Yes or no' answer" and the top comment is 'Yes and no"

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it8d8yt wrote

Reddit in a nutshell lol

dillrepair t1_it8iahb wrote

It seems to me that Orwell wanted it to be deliberately vague and let readers allow their understanding of recent events and horrors to creep in. Just the way that hitler and fascism had crept in.. 1949 originally published just for instant context. So it’s yes and no… AND imo most importantly that it could happen anywhere. Of course this is all just speculation on my part but it seems logical. Anyway it’s one of my favorite books ever… and I still remember the first time I read it at 18 and my mind was blown… and I couldn’t stop reading the last 3rd of the book… even though it was 1am…. I had that pit of the stomach feeling but couldn’t stop. It’s only happened a handful of times reading.

PuckSR t1_it91xid wrote

The biggest generational divide between boomers and millennials I've noticed is the "The third wave experiment".

Millennials all learned in school that fanatical authoritarian govts can appear anywhere.(1984, McCarthyism, Nazism, The Third Wave experiment movie, etc) Heck, they even use USA McCarthyism as an example of it almost happening in the USA. Boomers just learned that Nazis were evil scum and it clearly must have been because of the moral failings of the German people.
This also drives a lot of the "Trump=Hitler" debate. When a millenial says that Trump is acting like Hitler, they mean that Trump is using a lot of the same populist tactics that Hitler used. When a boomer hears that comment, they assume that the person is trying to simply say Trump is evil. It leads to numerous thanksgiving day arguments where some old Uncle tries to lecture the young kids about how Trump isn't trying to murder anyone.

1984 was an attempt to highlight the concept for the boomer generation, but I think many of them missed the message.
edit:expanded on the initial idea

PaxNova t1_it95cu2 wrote

The evil bit is kind of implied, don't you think? Nobody says "That boy likes painting... like Hitler!"

I think it would go a lot better if populism were only used by one side. There have been a number of "populist" candidates, so clearly populism wasn't the comparison they were going for.

PuckSR t1_it96a7g wrote

The implication is that a Hitler-esque populist movement can quickly turn violent and ugly. See "the third wave".

It isn't just the populism, but using the same levers and toolbox as Hitler. Nationalism, patriotism, populism aren't necessarily bad, but if you use them the way Hitler used them? If you create a cult of personality around yourself, invoke a mythical (and non-existent) past glory to which we should return? If you single out groups as scapegoats? Blame modern culture for all of the problems?
Now you aren't just a populist. You are basically borrowing Hitler's playbook.

PaxNova t1_it9b54r wrote

Up voted. I just wish the comparison hadn't been used on every conservative. In particular, the Remain in Mexico policy (holding people who want to get into the country while they're being checked) has been likened to death camps (corralling people who want to leave the country so we can enslave and murder them). At this point, "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" comes to mind.

To someone who wants no hierarchy, any hierarchy is indistinguishable from a fascist hierarchy. The further left you go, the more everything becomes Hitler.

PuckSR t1_it9btet wrote

But the comparison is somewhat apt. Hitler used "Jews, gays, and communists" as his scapegoats. While Trump used "the politically correct woke mob, the mexicans, etc" as his scapegoats.

Both Hitler and Trump threw out a ton of legislation without any explicit policy behind it with the intent of attacking those groups with which they disagreed.

I get your concern, but I dont exactly remember a lot of people saying that Bush was acting like Hitler.

PaxNova t1_it9h6i5 wrote

This is a list of the big ones, and it handily includes a reference to calling Obama Hitler, too, lest it be forgotten how trivial the comparison needs to be to bring him up by either party. There was also an ad campaign about Bush being Hitler from MoveOn.org.

In short, starting a foreign war means you're Hitler.

PuckSR t1_it9isv9 wrote

But those attacks seem to all be Hitler=evil type.

PaxNova t1_it9kona wrote

Exactly. Hence my "boy who cried Wolf" comparison.

I think we're agreeing, but I'm also saying that it's been used to imply evil so long that it has lost meaning as an actual, historical example. One could easily say, "He endorses federal PSAs, like Hitler," and people would think you're against PSAs rather than just noting a historical fact. It sets the tone as automatically hostile. Hostile people, in politics, tend towards bias. Nobody wants to listen to them (unless they share the bias). It is ineffective to make the comparison in nearly all cases.

PuckSR t1_it9p714 wrote

We are agreeing, but I am trying to make the point that "crying wolf" would have been appropriate if it had been saved for Trump.

Additionally, I think that some of the older generation could NEVER see it as appropriate because unless the person is advocating for the extermination of an entire race, then they are nothing like Hitler

Alemusanora t1_it99h7m wrote

McCarthyism was trying to stop an authoritarian govt in the form of communism. Going back and reading actual updated unbiased history has shown McCarthy was dead on right.

−1

PuckSR t1_it9aggb wrote

Going back and reading, we can see that McCarthy violated the civil rights of hundred of Americans.

There is absolutely nothing in the constitution that says you can punish someone for their political ideology, and quite a lot in the Constitution that forbids the govt from punishing someone for their political ideology.

honeybadger1984 t1_it8yh3j wrote

Same. It’s great as a horror book, especially to young readers.

When I read it as a youth it really destabilized my concept of government. It’s not permanent and people can get desperate and give themselves to fanaticism. Even regular people can decide to give fascism a try.

lookmeat t1_it9882f wrote

It's more than that. If something has a beginning, then you can deduce there's a before. If there's a before this means that things can change.

The party is trying to erase its beginning to make itself appear eternal, as the only ways things could ever be. It wasn't deliberately vague to let people imagine. It's part of the political agenda of the party to rewrite human nature to ensure it can't be removed.

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it7x9z0 wrote

Thanks!

Yeah there seems to be a lot of “unreliable narrator” aspect from all characters so far, including our hero.

truedoom t1_it86nm9 wrote

You think that's bad? Just wait until you get to <sentence redacted>

Craigg75 t1_it8mjso wrote

Well said. I was going to respond with the same. Also the party controls history. The past is a part of the myth/story of the party. I can imagine that North Korea assumes year 1 started with the communist revolution, there was no Korea before that.

Walfalcon t1_it8ubu9 wrote

I believe North Korea says something like "Korea (the only Korea that deserves being called Korea) exists as it always was meant to be, the Korea of the past was just the (flawed) predecessor to the perfected state that exists now." Or something like that. I'm not an expert.

In cases like this, tying parts of the modern nationalism to tradition and history is both valuable, but also generally itself a distortion and control of history. A fascist in Italy in the 40s can claim, "We as a people had been pushed from out path to greatness, but we can rebuild the Roman Empire to be what it was always meant to be, the Italy that we always have been."

It doesn't deny the complete existence of the past, but exploits it and twists it to say, "All the good parts of the past - for our definition of good, and even if they didn't exist - are actually parts of our modern revolution. All the bad parts were someone else."

drmcsinister t1_it8xfi9 wrote

>essentially unreliable to a degree

There may not even be an Eastasia.

Cruyff-san t1_it887rf wrote

I think the Party has always been in control of Oceania.

Longshanks123 t1_it8cucs wrote

This is the correct answer, everyone else here is committing wrongspeak and will be visiting the Ministry of Love in the near future

DrQuestDFA t1_it8eptt wrote

It has also always been at war with… I want to say EastAsia. Right?

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it8h0np wrote

That’s correct

Eastasia and Eurasia, but never at both, just one or the other.

DrQuestDFA t1_it8kemu wrote

I am pretty sure it is just EastAsia we’ve always been at war with. At least that is what the Ministry of Truth says, and if you can’t believe them, we’ll, let’s just say you’ll be getting a visit from the Ministry of Love next.

dillrepair t1_it8ig7j wrote

You are correct.. at least about the always at war part

PeanutButterCow t1_it8hhno wrote

It has not been, they made newspeak also for people not talking about their past. Other clues are in the book itself, but it has not always been this way!!!

−2

fellationelsen t1_it83as4 wrote

I know that the post revolution period strongly resembles what happened in Animal Farm, the idea of a totalitarian dictator taking advantage of a popular revolution. You will see a very patchy explanation in 1984 but to get a better idea of "the revolution gone astray" read Animal Farm and think of Big Brother as Napoleon and Goldstein as Snowball.

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it84cgq wrote

Thank you!

I’ll add it to my list. I downloaded “We” and “Brave New World” last night. I mostly stick to Scifi and nonfiction, but I’m dipping my toes into totalitarian dystopias.

fogcat5 t1_it87hna wrote

Have you looked at Neuromancer or Johnny Mnemonic or Mona Lisa Overdrive?

Ebice42 t1_it8jp0i wrote

Love Gibson.
Thou if we're make recommendations. Accelorando, by Charles Stross.

Comrade_pirx t1_it8rzi8 wrote

You might like to read Homage to Catalonia, Orwells account of the Spanish Civil War, his experiences there greatly determined his ideas for animal farm and 1984, along with his experience of war time Britain.

Craigg75 t1_it8nbv5 wrote

I was really disappointed in We. I stopped after about 70% of the way through. I just got so tired of the prose, going on and on about his love interest. I just kept thinking man can we get on with the story and stop all of this nonsense. Finally I didn't care if he was killed or not, or the fate of any of the characters.

KamikazeKitten916 t1_it85c9e wrote

That's funny you should say that! I just finished Animal Farm and I'm currently reading 1984! So thanks for the tip lol!

lovesweetabix t1_it84d5e wrote

I feel like you’re willing a prequel tv series into existence and I am absolutely not here for it.

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it84nlx wrote

As someone who refuses to read and watch prequels, I’m with you on this. They’re always poorly made if they’re made with pre existing characters. Takes all the suspense out.

The only prequel movie or book I can think of that I liked was Rogue One, and that is probably because the leads were all new characters.

ChimoEngr t1_it8k01f wrote

There is a prequel, at least in a thematic sense, it's called Animal Farm.

TaliesinMerlin t1_it8cv66 wrote

>Does 1984 ever dive into how the party rose to power? If it does, a simple “yeah keep reading” would work.

>comments like “just read the book” aren’t helpful.

I really don't know what you want.

[deleted] t1_it7yazp wrote

This is a very strange post. Why don’t you finish the novel and find out? Is completing the novel dependent on the answer you receive here? Very… weird. My advice to you: it’s a short, easy read, just finish it and find out for yourself.

Maxwe4 t1_it886ir wrote

Answering your question would be a direct spoiler though...

By_your_command t1_it83bn9 wrote

Wouldn’t telling you constitute a spoiler?

Furthermore, the book isn’t about its own “lore.” If you want world building, read Dune, or The Lord of the Rings.

SBR404 t1_it8704z wrote

Wow people get needlessly defensive and passive aggressive about a simple question. But no, as already mentioned, it never gets into detail how the party rose to power, and the little bits that are explained are made up propaganda.

It gets really dark as well, and personally I didn’t care for the ending at all. Didn’t make any sense in my mind, or maybe I was misreading things.

DrQuestDFA t1_it8f2lo wrote

And really the “How” wasn’t important to Orwell. The fact that Oceania and The Party exist is all that is necessary for him to explore the themes he wanted to. Knowing how it all came about would dilute the story and message.

NonEuclidianMeatloaf t1_it8s5kq wrote

The how CAN be important to Orwell. That’s exactly what Animal Farm is about; he literally looked at the current state of Stalinism, looked at the revolution and Leninism, and said “how did we get here? I’ll write that story, but about animals!”

DrQuestDFA t1_it8timg wrote

Sorry, I should have been more precise with my language. The “how” wasn’t important for “1984”. You are absolutely right about it being very important for “Animal Farm”.

ChimoEngr t1_it8jsnp wrote

It's never explained how the party got to control Oceania, or it's citizens to such a degree. Orwell's other famous novel, Animal Farm however, does give you a way it could have happened, modelled on the October Revolution in Russia that led to Communist rule of that country.

[deleted] t1_it88k9j wrote

It's kinda hinted at but u ultamitly draw your own conclusions. Seems like all the powers made an arrangement to prevent outside influences in their region providing them full control over citizens. Slowey they just began the falsification of facts until citizens could no longer discern

BostonBoy87 t1_it8d80q wrote

The closest you get to an explanation is when Winston reads from the Goldstein pamphlet in Part II. But it still leaves a lot to the imagination.

princesspancakes t1_it8uxgw wrote

I don't think this matters how the party comes into power just that they are. That's what makes 1984 so scary.

MotionTwelveBeeSix t1_it84jmo wrote

The book isn’t about the world or its politics, if you expect more than random out-of-context snippets of dubious veracity you’re in for a disappointment.

By_your_command t1_it85fwz wrote

It’s 100% about its politics.

MotionTwelveBeeSix t1_it87cl7 wrote

It’s absolutely not, there are no politics in the western sense present, the absence of which is the entire point of the novel. The Party is a faceless monolith with no real ideology, despite its communist roots, beyond self-preservation. Politics implies internal conflict, and the Party would never allow such to exist in any visible sense. Probably the best analogue is the CCP.

Instead, the emphasis is on manipulation of truth, and the horrific abuses such control can enable and require. Oceania’s design as, essentially, Stalinist allows it to act as an indictment of both left and right wing governments and the only “politics” present, Ie the war/alliance with Eurasia is purposefully absurd and shown to demonstrate that politics themselves are a fraud.

NylonStrung t1_it8j5k9 wrote

That's an interesting way to put it, since it's often referred to as a "political novel". And it is, in some sense, but maybe its core theme is "anti-political". I don't want to directly quote from the text (no spoilers), but one character essentially says just that: the party believes in nothing but the pursuit of power. There's no ideals, no vision, nothing that makes for a political project. Just control.

MotionTwelveBeeSix t1_it8jywr wrote

Exactly, which if anything makes it even more poignant. Depoliticization of the population is a driving strength of the worlds most powerful authoritarian regimes. While I’m sure they’d love to have everyone take their party line, it’s enough to sow doubt that anything whatsoever is actually true. Depoliticized people will still pay taxes and they’re a lot less likely to get funny idealistic ideas about revolution than patriots.

NylonStrung t1_it9f6s6 wrote

I'd suggest that depolitisisation of the population is a phenomenon in most modern states, even outside of the obviously authoritarian ones. Whether as an actual strategy (e.g. pioneer of information warfare, Post-Soviet Russia, where nothing at all is really "real"), or simply as a by-product of the modern capitalist system, which cleverly creates atomised individuals who necessarily find thinking politically to be difficult (almost every state, and they're only slightly less propagandistic).

Right, looks like I'm reading 1984 again. You've inspired me. :P

ImJoshsome t1_it7wd3b wrote

it doesn’t really matter

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it7wvqk wrote

Well, considering I’m interested in the rise of fascism in Oceania, it does to me, friend.

ImJoshsome t1_it7xu06 wrote

you’re going to be disappointed then because that’s not what the book is about

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it7yl9u wrote

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

Tbh, I may not be emotionally able to finish the book at this time. I get really heavy political anxiety especially around midterms, and I was so stressed reading the book last night I had to take 0.25mg of my Xanax prescription.

I don’t want to just stick my head in the sand with emotionally difficult material, but man this sounds like such a stressful environment to live in (Oceania).

I have had to quit books due to being too dark in the past (a game of thrones, and American psycho for example). I think understanding how things came to be helps me cope better with understanding why things are the way they are, as opposed to just being in the dark the whole book.

That’s why comments like “it doesn’t matter, read the book” aren’t necessarily helpful, bc I don’t know if I want to finish the book if it’s going to be too much. If that makes sense.

−1

Scarsquid t1_it7zmiy wrote

While your question is never answered, you should probably stop reading now. The book gets very bleak and hopeless in a way that is terrifyingly real.

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it7zths wrote

Thank you

Not looking for another “the road” experience. That book fucked me up for weeks.

suicidal_warboi t1_itc0yym wrote

I’m not trying to be offensive, but maybe it would be wise to temper the extent to which you allow your emotions to decide whether you finish a book or not.

It’s hang ups like this that allow the totalitarian-for-profit to achieve further control. People are too sensitive and can’t withstand discomfort even when the discomfort is caused by something as harmless as a fictional dystopian novel.

sosodank t1_it85qxs wrote

the best thing you could do, then, is read some history. everything has happened before, and everything will happen again.

makingnoise t1_it8y4zc wrote

I think this statement fails to capture for some folks the importance of history. Knowing what happened in the past is one thing, understanding why things happened in the past is another thing. People with a failure of imagination know that fascism rose to power in WWII, but see no modern parallels because they never realized the purpose of learning history was to relate the past to the present.

jaydub1001 t1_it856z3 wrote

It's not fascism but a different form of authoritarianism.

iwillmuffyou t1_it7xc0p wrote

No, it actually doesn't matter at all. Just finish the book first, then ask questions.

−5

Cat_Hoarder0 t1_it7yvci wrote

> No, it actually doesn't matter at all.

You don't get to tell people what is and isn't important to them.

Dropcity t1_it89np6 wrote

It actually doesnt at all matter as a theme of the book. Orwell makes a point to demonstrate the facts don't matter at all, reality is whatever the party says it is. I think people that have said it doesnt matter are attempting to make a point without spoilers. It can be as important as you want to make it, it is still thematically irrlevant and that isnt an accident or oversight.

Cat_Hoarder0 t1_it89s23 wrote

> t actually doesnt at all matter as a theme of the book

Which is completely irrelevant to what the OP asked.

Dropcity t1_it8dy4s wrote

Not at all. He wants answers to questions that are both unanswered and irrelevant. So youre going to have to explain to me how it isn't irrelevant. You stated it but i am going to need you to qualify that statement..

if he finished the book he would know this.. historical ignorance is thematic in the book, explaining that any further is a potential spoiler, knowing the history blows apart the themes of the book. Orwell makes a point of making this both ambiguous and irrelevant.

If he wouldve asked "is big brother real? Do they ever go into detail about how he rose to power".. you would find similar answers for the same reasons. "Don't know and it's irrelevant and explaining that any further could potentially spoil the book for you so just read it". If Orwell were to give answers to these questions it would ruin aspects of the story completely.

Cat_Hoarder0 t1_it8ezxv wrote

> Not at all. He wants answers to questions that are both unanswered and irrelevant.

All he wanted to know was if the history was explored. Nothing more, nothing less. He wasn't asking about what is thematic in the book or not.

Get this. Some people are interested in the world building aspects of books, and want to know more about that part of the world.

Humble-Briefs t1_it862x9 wrote

I agree with others that 1984 is pretty bleak, but I still think it’s worth the read, less for discovering how the Party came to power, and more for discovering how swathes of people buy into the mindset (just as important as preceding power plays).

I think if you’re looking for a book that talks about how those in power come to it, AND has a hopeful ending, you might be interested in:

the House of the Spirits (written by Isabel Allende during the Chilean revolution).

Persepolis -

Maus - both of these are graphic novels but have a lot to say about war, humanity and everything in between.

Slaughterhouse-5 - this is a tough read too, and idk that everyone would agree that it ends hopefully, but imo it does.

I’m sure I can think of others given time, but for now, I hope I’ve given you some solid suggestions, and not just wasted your time. If you stick with 1984, I would love to hear more about your thoughts (even if you don’t like the book).

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it86sae wrote

Thank you! I read SHV and liked it, wasn’t nearly as dark as the Road or Flowers for Algernon.

fogcat5 t1_it87bew wrote

There are lot of references that would be familiar to someone at the time the book was written. It implies that it's describing the inevitable results of politics in the late 40s as they would unfold 40 years into the future.

It's very confusing to see that aspect of the book if you read it thinking that 1984 is far in the past. When the book was new, 1984 was far in the future - like a book about 2060 today.

spiderhead t1_it8ba5n wrote

In a nutshell - It’s heavily implied that a populist working class movement was co-opted by authoritarians and The Party continues to demonize the capitalists as a political scapegoat. But there’s no concrete answer. It’s a huge source of confusion for those who think that the book is an anti-socialist manifesto.

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it8dmnd wrote

Thank you!

I’ve read that We, Brave New World, and 1984 were satire parodies of the antithesis to the utopian socialist novels of the time.

spiderhead t1_it8emc5 wrote

George Orwell was highly critical of the elite socialists who spoke of progressivism but had zero interest in being around working class people, but was himself a committed socialist and anti-fascist.

But yeah, since no one is really giving you a straight answer, that’s how I always read 1984 and what I think is implied based on my understanding of Orwell’s beliefs as a person.

You should finish it tho. It’s bleak and disturbing but it’s also an incredibly prescient book that’s worth your time.

Areljak t1_it8w2vd wrote

Its pretty directly referencing Stalinism and applying it to the UK, some examples:

• 2+2=5 was a stalinist propaganda slogan

• The 180° turns in foreign policy and propaganda mirror similar turns in Soviet propaganda from being anti-german then suddenly pro-german following the signing to the Molotov-Ribbentrov pact to then switching suddenly back to anti-german following the German invasion in 1941.

• The omnipresent Big Brother mirrors Stalin (although Hitler wasnot dissimilar)

• Goldstein is Trotsky

...I recommend reading 1984 and then reading Child of the Revolution by Wolfgang Loenhard, an autobiographical account from a then young German on the periphery of party politics in the Soviet Union 1938-45 (before going back to Germany to build up the GDR to be to his defection in 1949), its a long book but well worth the read.

Jack-Campin t1_it8mnao wrote

If you want intelligent answers you don't say "no spoilers".

There was a good reason why Orwell didn't want to be specific. I doubt we can discuss it without triggering your bugaboo, and I'm not about to try.

CarlCasper t1_it8zx6q wrote

Setting aside your question for a minute – don’t make a demand for no spoilers and then go into detail about things that happened in the first 60 pages. You’re likely not the only one on this sub who hasn’t read the book.

GOPJay t1_it914ym wrote

No, I don't think it's the point of the story. The focus seems to intentionally be on how this could really be any government in any time in modern history. And the lack of specifics speak more to the government's freedom with facts any way. A true masterpiece.

AutoModerator t1_it7w2va wrote

We have noticed your thread's title mentioned a popular book title in /r/books. Please consider visiting some of these recent threads! You might also enjoy the subreddit /r/1984!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it7w83m wrote

I would but I’ve learned not to do that if you want to avoid major spoilers

Unpacer t1_it89nhl wrote

Yes, but unreliably. It's likely a mix of how Hitler and Lenin did, but the details are hard to piece together.

manticore16 t1_it8bw9o wrote

I'm not sure, is it in the appendices? I've scanned them but never really read through them.

Confused-mammal-4 t1_it8mc2t wrote

It basically just hints that the intellectuals of the country got together and were sick of the past government so decided to have a revolution and they just became more authoritarian.

thesuavedog t1_it8p2sl wrote

Double-Plus-Good this post is.

quantcompandthings t1_it8uduq wrote

IIRC, it does not.

"If not, what do we think caused the rise to power?"

The usual I imagine. External threats (real and imaginary) coupled with internal chaos and extreme economic inequality. Mussolini was supposedly initially pretty popular because he made the trains run on time. Franco guaranteed private property rights for the wealthy landowners and church.

"Well. In my experience, I get a LOT of shit spoiled that way. "

Preach. One time I google'd a character from a book that got made into a movie to see what the actress who portrayed her look like, and front and center on front page "People also ask" section was "Why did X kill herself?" Another time it was "Why did X kill Z?" so yeah, learned not to do that anymore.

TheMojomaster t1_it91tjk wrote

how are you asking and not asking for spoilers at the exact same time... smh just finish the book.

lavender_reina t1_it92h4t wrote

Around chapter 17 there’s a bit more information, not sure if it is super specific though

[deleted] t1_it937of wrote

[removed]

CrazyCatLady108 t1_it93pbx wrote

Personal conduct

Please use a civil tone and assume good faith when entering a conversation.

CrazyCatLady108 t1_it93bh8 wrote

Please post 'Should I read X book''What do I need to know before I read X' questions, in our Weekly Recommendation Thread.

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it96o5s wrote

That’s not relevant to my post, though.

CrazyCatLady108 t1_it97ise wrote

Are you not asking what to expect from a book you have not yet finished reading? Are you not asking if you should keep reading to have your question answered in the section you have not yet read?

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it97p2i wrote

I am asking those things.

Which is not the reasons you listed you removed it.

I did not ask for a recommendation, and I didn’t know what to expect before reading it’s

CrazyCatLady108 t1_it98c4a wrote

The recommendation thread is not only for recommendations, but also for asking what to expect from a book you have not yet read and/or if you should continue reading. Your question is exactly that, asking what you should expect and/or if you should keep reading.

If you want to discuss the intricacies of how the party rose to power, you would need to read the book first and offer your own answer supported by the text you read.

smipypr t1_it8di32 wrote

If you're around in 10 years or so, ask the same question, about which party took over in the good old USA. That should take place in about 2026.

−5

INTHEMIDSTOFLIONS OP t1_it8dw48 wrote

Dude, this book hits so close to home right now with the current news media and culture struggle. It’s almost too much.