Submitted by Certified_Cichlid t3_z2qxi1 in books

I read the book Heidi between 7th and 11th grade when I finished. The book was left stagnant for some time. This is an amazing and emotional book for children. I have to say, unlike many works of children's literature where the author takes advantage, this book isn't violent with blood at all, although there are grim moments. The suggested reading age by critics is 9+, perhaps younger children can be read aloud. The story shows how Heidi learns new lessons and retains her jovial personality. I also feel joyous at Heidi's wholesome relationships with other people. There are some pretty humorous moments too. I would strongly suggest people who wanted to escape reality read this wonderful book about the Swiss Alps and the culture it has.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Amesaskew t1_ixhr8tg wrote

I read Heidi as a teen (30+ years ago) so I don't recall very much of it except for this impression: there was a recurring thing where it talked about what she ate every day and I remember being very concerned that she was going to die of scurvy because there were no fruits or vegetables in her diet.

Yes, I was a weird kid who worried about strange things.

PansyOHara t1_ixhpfzw wrote

One of my favorite childhood books!

DarkFluids777 t1_ixhnopj wrote

I finally need to read that, I had listened to some tapes rendering parts of the story when I was a child, I always liked the somewhat misanthropic, golden-hearted (and 'Nietzschean') Alm-Öhi, too!

Ealinguser t1_ixnfm4y wrote

The Swiss Alps in the 19th century - it really isn't much like that now.

And the Swiss get a bit frustrated by the anglo-saxon expectation that they be like that in the 21st century.

Dana07620 t1_ixonu1q wrote

I don't expect them to be like that. I expect the mountains to be like that. Tall, snow covered mountains with green pastures filled with wildflowers.

Though when I was in the Alps in the late 20th century, I was delighted by the sight of villages with all these traditional homes with white walls and shutters and low, dark sloping roofs and piles of cut wood almost reaching the eaves. Some of the places had murals / designs painted on the walls. It was like driving in a storybook.

Ealinguser t1_ixqfycu wrote

I lived in one. There are pros and cons.

Dana07620 t1_ixr0ckk wrote

I'm sure there are. But they were very pretty to drive through and their settings were breathtaking.

ministryof t1_ixi5up7 wrote

Even in a review of Heidi you bring up violence in kids book. Weird. Least you moved on from comparing redwall to song of ice and fire.

Dana07620 t1_ixi98e6 wrote

To this day when I'm in a high mountain meadow, I feel like I'm walking in Heidi.

Patient-Love-9041 t1_ixjaots wrote

As a kid I was astounded by the fact that how often they ate just cheese and bread for this meals. At that point i obviously did not know it was SWISS cheese and SWISS bread.

Dana07620 t1_ixjr3pi wrote

In retrospect, it is odd that the grandfather --- who collected herbs for the goats --- wasn't putting together some nice herb and greens salads for their meals to go with toasted bread & cheese, sausage and goat milk.

Certified_Cichlid OP t1_ixjhnlj wrote

I was surprised too. Normally that sort of diet would turn anyone into a fat malnourished person. I guess Heidi walks a lot so maybe that is why.

Rose7pt t1_ixhqa2s wrote

Love this book! Have my moms book , over 100 years old!

I_love_genea t1_ixi0att wrote

I'm 1/4 Swiss from the general region Heidi is from, and have always loved the book.. never been to Switzerland, but I love to dream about visiting there. I like the Shirley temple video best, though, because of the beautiful scenery.

monsterosaleviosa t1_ixiohhd wrote

Heidi is one of the books that I remember being the most latched onto. Part of it was because there was the Shirley Temple movie I watched so often, but the book was special to me on its own. I honestly don’t remember the slightest bit about either of them except for the settings and the sleepwalking (something I also suffered from), but the impression is still there.

I happened upon an old copy in a local Little Library. I’m afraid to try to read it for its condition, but it’s one of very few physical books I care about holding onto.

1433165A t1_ixivy0x wrote

Heidi is the first “big” book I ever read, 8/9 years old. Still one of my favorites. I love how honest to herself she remains despite the changes, and how she has valuable relationships both in the Alps and in Frankfurt.

kwramos t1_iximm5m wrote

Loved that book when I was young. Really good.

strega42 t1_ixj9kxw wrote

I enjoyed the entire series.

Dana07620 t1_ixjqsvo wrote

Series?

AFAIK, there's just Heidi and its sequel when Heidi is grown up. Are you saying there's more?

strega42 t1_ixjrntg wrote

Heidi Grows Up, and Heidi's Children, IIRC.

I do not recall if they were written by the original author or by her translator. It's been a LOOONG time since I read them.

bofh000 t1_ixles0p wrote

Heidi is really nice, yes.

Most children’s lit written before the 1960s didn’t include blood.

I find that the kids I know can read by themselves after 7 years of age, although they occasionally do enjoy to have a parent read to them aloud.

Lanfear_Eshonai t1_ixpfx3p wrote

Perpahs children's literature of the 20th century, but the old original fairytales had lots of blood and dark endings. Disney cleaned those up...

bofh000 t1_ixpk8e5 wrote

Yes, but I really doubt OP was referring to the original Grimm Bros fairytales.

FindAPlaceToStand t1_iy4js58 wrote

I am curious what the original story is like. I watched so many film adaptations at my grandmother's house.

boxer_dogs_dance t1_ixhqnjp wrote

I found this book boring when I was a child. I should go back and reread it.

1ToeIn t1_ixkgxwh wrote

Omg. I read this book for the first time just a year or so ago. Overall I enjoyed it, but there was one thing that hit a jarring note for me. I know partly due to reading it through the lens of modern sensibilities. But perhaps the rest of you can give me your feedback: that boy she becomes friends with ( I think he’s a goat herd?) seemed verging on mean & I recall feeling disturbed by the way she tip toed around his moods and in her cheerful way did & said things to appease/placate him. Am I hypersensitive or was there an undercurrent of violence in his attitudes? It’s been a while, so I can’t bring up anything specific. But it did color my overall enjoyment of the story. I wrote it off as reflective of the mores of the times. Did anyone else pick this up?

Dana07620 t1_ixkoq6b wrote

Yes, even as a child, I noticed an undercurrent of violence in the attitude of Goat Peter. (Primary reason I never located the sequel -- which, it turns out wasn't written by Spyri but by her translator -- was because it has Heidi marrying Goat Peter. And I thought that she was way too good for him.)

Heidi very much fills a traditionally female role. That of caretaker.