Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

junglelala t1_j282o7a wrote

I like short stories for planes.

Recently I read All the Names They Used for God (don't let the title put you off) and it was phenomenal. Ted Chiang is also good for short stories, even if some of them are tedious.

Other than short stories, I also like short novels in general for planes. It's nice to be able to actually finish something. Maybe short classics like The Picture of Dorian Gray or Tarzan.

Or just read whatever you're reading while on your trip.

jfb3 t1_j283xee wrote

1. Adventure Novels - Stephen Coonts, Brian Andrews, Tom Clancy, etc.
  2. Spy Novels

noobditt t1_j284nmx wrote

Load up my Kindle with multiple books of varied genres. Try to get ones that are set in the country you are flying to. It puts you in the mindset of the locale and helps to immerse yourself in the place you are going to visit.

turboshot49cents OP t1_j286h4n wrote

I was thinking of doing this. I’m going to Japan.

noobditt t1_j2889hz wrote

Nice. Japanese literature is world class. Not to mention how many books written by foreigners about Japan are really good too. I Am a Cat by Natsume Soseki. The wind up bird chronicles. Anything by Haruki Murakami. There's some good murder mystery, surrealist, pop, and just plain weirdness also. Can't remember the names though. Have fun!

cinnamondaisies t1_j28lwuf wrote

What’s your favourite genre or kind of book? I can give some recommendations based on that!

turboshot49cents OP t1_j29jy8s wrote

I mostly read memoirs or contemporary fiction. Sometimes I dip my feet in fantasy. Also, there’s a place in my heart for middle grade books

boxer_dogs_dance t1_j28ixy2 wrote

The Traveling Cat Chronicles is a recent, simple, moving Japanese novel that I really enjoyed. If you want a gripping classic, Shogun is a favorite of many although Clavell was not Japanese. All of the Clavell novels are favorites of mine except Gaijin. Read some reviews and pick some options. Enjoy your trip. I haven't been to Japan since the pandemic.

Bolinas99 t1_j283crf wrote

would recommend earplugs or noise canceling headphones; helps with the noise especially if there are crying kids (or drunk adults) on the flight.

a nice legal thriller works for me but everyone is different. Check out Camino Winds by John Grisham; depending on how fast a reader you are you might be able to finish it in two 13-hour flights (plus any downtime waiting at airports, etc).

safe travels!

Macbethforking t1_j28f0pd wrote

It didn’t occur to me to ask this question of someone.

I just read my normal preferred genre. I tend to go through phases where I read multiple books in the same Genre( right now atheism). But it never intentionally switch it up for travel.

wrdsmakwrlds t1_j28chcx wrote

Just what I'd normally read ?

BereniceFleming t1_j28ayk0 wrote

I listen to audiobooks on the plane. It's usually some exciting non-fiction books or detective page-turners. I close my eyes and focus on what I am listening to. It helps me to distract from aerophobia and the amount of time I have to spend on the plane.

emzorzin3d t1_j288mdp wrote

I've tried to read more on planes because in previous years I used to be too distracted to get into a book.

Last time I flew I tried one of the murderbot diaries because they're short and fun to read but I gave up and actually settled on Tokyo Vice which is a memoir. So I'm wondering if non fiction might be the way to go for me. Might be worth trying for you as well.

VespasianusFlavium t1_j28cmsk wrote

Personally I like fast-paced books more on airplanes. Makes the time go faster and moreover; its most likely not written too difficult, thus easy to read with all the distracting sounds around you.

I'd suggest 'Table For One' by Yun Ko-Eun. Fairly easy story but very catchy, really an upcoming writer. Amazing book!

Hope this helps!

GrudaAplam t1_j28is0u wrote

Travel guides. In flight magazines. Once I tried to read some lectures by Hawking and Primrose on time. That was a mistake.

Caleb_Trask19 t1_j28ny9t wrote

Short Stories or Essays to me are the perfect travel literature. Short bite sized pieces you can easily consume and pick up and put down at will.

forleaseknobbydot t1_j28ogvt wrote

I try to find a page turner for sure, plus I also like to get short stories in audio to fall asleep to

Inkdrunnergirl t1_j291let wrote

Whatever I’m reading at the time or what’s next on my TBR. My reading habits don’t change by where I’m reading.

CrazyCatLady108 t1_j2a3r4z wrote

Hi there. Per rule 3.3, please post book recommendation requests in /r/SuggestMeABook or in our Weekly Recommendation Thread. Thank you!

mariacatalyn t1_j284hqe wrote

the ones I would usually shelf because then I'm "forced" to read them especially when there's no tv on the plane.