Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BespinFatigues1230 t1_jaavjxv wrote

Why is closing schools because of 2” of snow even a conversation nowadays? I’m not trying to come off as a hard ass “back in my day” type but seriously?

BsFan t1_jaax5zu wrote

Man I wish it was like was like this when I was a kid. Knowing that you didn't have to go to school the next day would be so much better than having to wake up and watch the news ticker.

No-Garlic-2664 t1_jabbzzu wrote

yeah but then you wouldn't have the thrill of knowing you didn't do any of your assignments and risked it all on the snow day announcement coming through as you watched local tv in the morning

carinislumpyhead97 t1_jacbxwq wrote

And all the neighborhood kids would be awake a watching the news to. This lead to an entire day of playing in the snow for me. Finding out the day before would lead to staying up late and sleeping in.

SherbertEquivalent66 t1_jabt39x wrote

Yeah, but as a kid it was exciting waiting for the news to read off your town's name and kind of a rush when they did.

BsFan t1_jacgn3j wrote

Not for me! Our town was notorious for never canceling school. The two towns that bordered my town were also alphabetically before and after my town. They would always close and it was always very disappointing when it would go from one and skip my town to the other.

SideBarParty t1_jackk1k wrote

Guessing where you lived is like playing on a really good quiz show

BsFan t1_jaco3ua wrote

Well thinking back to it it's not accurate at all haha. Every town that bordered my town would cancel school, but the town I was thinking of that would proceed Holliston did not boarder Holliston. Hopkinton would pop up and ruin my day though.

BespinFatigues1230 t1_jaaxuiw wrote

For sure… you wouldn’t even have to wait for your school if the snowfall map was on screen if it was only 2” cuz you knew you had school then lol

Academic_Guava_4190 t1_jab8x8g wrote

Never mind watching the news, how about turning on the radio, or listening for the fog horns? And I’m not even that old.

GigiGretel t1_jaclldi wrote

When I was a kid, Portsmouth NH some sort of horn blew when school was canceled, and my grandfather would listen for it and then call my mom and my aunt, both of whom had kids in Portsmouth, to proclaim "no school" This was the 1970s

BsFan t1_jab97vm wrote

I think our town fire department would blow a horn or something, I was pretty young then. Out HS radio station definitely put updates out

gilgagorgon t1_jab1ggm wrote

It’s not the snow itself, it’s when it’s falling. The area around is closing because people drive and it’s supposed to be coming down from like 7-10am. BPS has at least some semblance of public transit to get people to school.

jtet93 t1_jacib3p wrote

The vast majority of households have 2 working parents nowadays so it’s more challenging for most people to coordinate last-minute childcare. So when we have a storm like this where it could end up being worse than anticipated, it’s best to make the call early. I guess in this case they determined the worst case scenario storm would still be fine for getting kids to school.

symonym7 t1_jac95pg wrote

Judging by the amount of traffic not on 93 this morning, a lot of grown-ass adults got a snow day.

spedmunki t1_jacavlg wrote

Why deal with it/risk it when you can work from home?

Ferk15 t1_jaconlm wrote

I work in Brookline. We have school today as well. I wanted to share my understanding of snow days after being in education for a decade. I will preface all this with the fact that people are making these decisions and they all have their own motives and goals.

1. It's not always about the amount of snow. 2 inches is nothing over the whole day like today. 2 inches from 6 to 7am is a disaster in terms of plowing, sand/salting, and getting parents and busses to the school safely.

2. The pandemic has also changed a lot. There are more cars on the road, more drivers being reckless, and more teachers calling out. All of that contributes to superintendents and school boards as much as the amount of snow.

3. Looking more directly at Boston and the surrounding towns, how the students get to school also changes things. Most students at my school arrive by drop off or walking. In a rural town, it would be busses. In Boston, a lot of students take public transit to get to school so they will take in MBTA plans into account as well.

I hope this helps the understanding from a school point of view.

michael_scarn_21 t1_jaaqzz9 wrote

It would be embarrassing if 2" of snow made them close

metrowestern t1_jaasccq wrote

My district canceled, ugh.

charons-voyage t1_jaazfld wrote

Metro west prolly getting a bit more, no?

Here in Quincy it’s gonna be 1-3 inches following by rain aka slushy grossness lol

vitonga t1_jaasv0u wrote

im just thinking about staff that has long commutes...we all know the city wont be ready and driveable before commuters start...oh well I guess

lonfal t1_jaawlib wrote

1-4 inches of snow over the course of 12 hours starting at 1am. I don’t think it’s going to be that bad and I’m going to be the person shoveling out my school.

Clamgravy t1_jacpq1e wrote

Was significant snow sticking anywhere in the city this morning?

charons-voyage t1_jaazazp wrote

Don’t all BPS teachers have to live in Boston? Or did I make that up lol

−14

Proko-K t1_jab2oqm wrote

There isn’t a residency requirement for BPS employees. They’d never be able to hire anyone, can’t even rent a studio on those salaries.

Foxyfox- t1_jaedpcm wrote

Even getting a cardboard box at Mass and Cass might be too pricey at this point.

philosai t1_jab3hg2 wrote

Nope. Wife and I live in ashland. Can't afford anything closer

charons-voyage t1_jac2we1 wrote

Oh I thought there was a residency req. My b.

theurbanmapper t1_jac79g4 wrote

Basically everyone except teachers and cops. Also if you have ten years at the city as far as I remember

Little_Elephant_5757 t1_jaauow7 wrote

I mean, medical staff still has to show up at hospitals. Using long commutes as an excuse to close schools is kinda weird

−37

pillbinge t1_jabf2s4 wrote

Not the same thing. Teachers will still have to work a day of the year regardless. It's just tacked onto June, instead, where students will be expected to show up anyway. Doesn't work like that in medicine.

vitonga t1_jaaxzj0 wrote

still not an excuse! though ive worked hospitals before for many years and I can tell you: your local library is not the same. just to add: tomorrow my entire city dept will be closed, with everyone working from home, except for schools and libraries. its not safe for office folks to commute but fuck me and my people? its all dumb.

michael_scarn_21 t1_jaaz8ys wrote

I have an office job and nobody is saying don't come in. It's literally a dusting.

−1

anurodhp t1_jac6n3n wrote

Ok so now that it looks like a dusting , this may have been the right call

BuckyWunderlick007 t1_jaavjgg wrote

The districts cancelling this evening over a minor storm on top of bare ground are just absurd.

DooceBigalo t1_jab4kb2 wrote

its a much different time we live in these days...

−3

TDKevin t1_jaba85b wrote

Omg a day off school when it's barely snowed an inch this year!? Better get those busses on the road. How else are they gonna know how much harder you had it?

bingbong6977 t1_jaax1cr wrote

Umass Boston closed tomorrow.

dirtshow t1_jaazhik wrote

You know it's been a light winter when people are freaking over more than a dusting of snow

emilymm2 t1_jab077f wrote

I saw a graphic of estimated snow amount by 7am, with Boston at 2”. Seems very reasonable to be open

slagwa t1_jacpyzq wrote

My son's response: "Ironic cause we'll get a foot of snow and have -20 degree weather but still have school". Then again he is going to school in Lake Placid.

−2