Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Unfair_Isopod534 t1_je049gz wrote

He is in the process of moving. Sounds like he has trouble finding a house. Good luck to you. Hopefully that won't discourage you from fixing MBTA.

ForwardBound t1_je05x45 wrote

"Hey reddit, moving from NYC to Boston for a job, looking for a place. Ideally near the train. Budget is $11k a month. Would like to avoid roommates. Is Springfield too far away? Not familiar with the area. TIA."

Unfair_Isopod534 t1_je06nwt wrote

Semi-serious, him living in Springfield would probably propel the Springfield Boston line into existence. Or at least my dreams and hopes of if.

RandyCheeseburgers01 t1_je09g5x wrote

A Springfield-Boston connection is meaningless if you can't get around Boston in a timely fashion at the other end. Unless you work right at South Station.

User-NetOfInter t1_je0axja wrote

Federal reserve employees love this

rushfan420 t1_je14ing wrote

I interviewed for a job at that building once. I ended up not getting it, but it would've been my dream commute.

User-NetOfInter t1_je2d1ty wrote

good thing the red line is right in south station

Shit that’s broken

Well the orange..

Nope nope nope

Unfair_Isopod534 t1_je0a601 wrote

I don't have the numbers and i am definitely not an expert. I do wonder if the line would reduce traffic coming from Western Mass which could help reduce traffic within Boston itself. Plus it could open western MA as housing market. I am not disagreeing with you, just seeing positives of that connection.

UltravioletClearance t1_je0euib wrote

I know people can get into pretty crazy commute situations, but I find it very hard to believe that many people are driving from Springfield to Boston for work five days a week. That's easily four hours one way.

chystatrsoup t1_je0ftx1 wrote

Had to drive Springfield to Boston all the time for my last job, one way was never even close to 4 hours. Also a lot of construction workers live way out there and drive into the city everyday.

RandyCheeseburgers01 t1_je0ki1u wrote

Four hours?? I'm not sure it's that long. But I hear your point. The idea still being tossed around; here's a recent Globe article on it. The general public seems to interpret it as a way to alleviate the housing crisis in Greater Boston. People will use any excuse they can get to avoid upzoning and building more housing in Boston and the inner suburbs and to appease the NIMBYs. I know some people are open the idea of supercommuting (I am not one of them). A Springfield-Boston commute would really only be viable if it's high speed rail, not the current iteration of the T commuter rail trundling along. I'm not holding my breath on that.

UltravioletClearance t1_je0l2kh wrote

God I hope this doesn't become a reality. Opening up Springfield to the masses of rich-yet-not-rich-enough-for-Boston people will just lead to mass displacement of Springfield's existing residents and turn Springfield into yet another overpriced bedroom community of Boston that lacks any local economy on its own. Already seeing this down in New Bedford.

−1

Unfair_Isopod534 t1_je0f952 wrote

From my experience, Pike it's extremely busy. I think all the way to 84 junction. If we were to add stop in between Springfield and Boston, maybe some congestion would go away. Like i said not an expert, and like it was mentioned before, Boston itself has enough of problems.

AceyPuppy t1_je1cbgr wrote

Springfield to Framingham is the best we can do. Figure out the rest yourselves.

Anustart15 t1_je2hoyk wrote

Let's focus on making the existing lines work before we start trying to make a low value, high cost high speed rail project happen

snorkeling_moose t1_je0hhsl wrote

Complete with the obligatory rampant hostility towards anyone asking that sort of question on this sub.

"Learn how to google" "use the sidebar idiot" "$11K? Go live in the seaport you finance/tech bro douchebag" "Don't move here, we're full"

MBTA Guy: You know what? Fine. Fix your damn trains on your own.

r/Boston: "No not like that."

Sir_Jacobson t1_je09gc6 wrote

His contract should stipulate he must live within 1 mile of the T and commute via MBTA to work daily. Two birds with one stone - housing crisis and public transportation

Think_please t1_je0nxpx wrote

"By the way we're also making you King of Housing. Good luck."

User-NetOfInter t1_je0b0c6 wrote

Make him live by riverside and sit on the green line for the distance

Anustart15 t1_je2hsol wrote

He has already said he plans to take the T to work "every single day" so he can see firsthand all the problems commuters are dealing with and to "put his money where his mouth is"

pukekopuke t1_je2mj13 wrote

Honestly, I hope he does, cause that will no doubt show him a lot of the issues that might get brushed under the carpet otherwise.

michael_scarn_21 t1_je055n0 wrote

I hope he finds a house near the red line so he realizes how shit it is and prioritizes that first.

SpaceBasedMasonry t1_je0b3ui wrote

He's getting nearly a half million a year. I think he'll find a place.

NoButThanks t1_je50qpp wrote

It's the only way to attract talent. Many arguments are: "just get European rail heads to come and fix it since the trains are so great there.". We can't afford them. Their salaries are higher. Pay trash and get trash. This seems like a good middle ground of getting an experienced rail manager with direct experience of turning a system around. He's still fucked here, but it's a start.

SpaceBasedMasonry t1_jeaqayk wrote

I'm not particularly concerned about his salary, especially if he can deliver.

I wouldn't expect to get a miracle worker on 60k a year.

NoButThanks t1_jecavf1 wrote

Yeah, same here. If he can at least get things going the right way, that's helpful.