Submitted by popnfrresh t3_126x87x in boston

Was staying overnight in south Boston waterfront near trillium brewing.

Was wondering how this place is. How is it for children? How is the beer?

Any other recommendations? For dinner/ beer good with children, not to expensive.

Also, is the dunkin hate a joke or does everyone hate dunkin? Any good coffee places to check out?

Heading out to fitchburg the next day. Would like to bring some beer from Boston to enjoy at great wolf lodge. Any recommendations for some awesome stouts/porter and sour types.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

No_Judge_3817 t1_jebewal wrote

breweries should not be family places for people to take their children. and I'm not one of those crazy /r/childfree weirdos

SolarFeline t1_jebnjtm wrote

I'm not either (a childfree advocate). I raised several kids and just got "done" recently.

I'm just tired of kids in bars and breweries. I guess places with like DINNER are different, but bars and breweries. No.

EVEN IF they're not running around, they're STILL loud. They're STILL in the bathrooms. They're STILL holding up my service with "can I have 3 cokes?"

edgarallenpotato87 t1_jebpiur wrote

Not a huge fan of breweries myself, but I disagree with this. Breweries and beer gardens are perfectly fine places to foster “community”and connect with each other. And I think that’s something we need more of these days. Bars/pubs past a certain hour, maybe 8:00, that’s a different story. Otherwise, not really much different than a coffee shop. As with most things, I guess it’s a judgement call but if you’re gonna get uptight about parents bringing kids to a bar/restaurant/brewery just stay home.

actionindex t1_jef1zw3 wrote

100% agree, and I am a frequent brewery patron and not a parent. I think a big reason breweries have gotten so popular is that the vibe is different compared to a "bar" and I think people were looking for a community place where it is socially acceptable to have a drink mid-day, potentially with a kid or dog in tow (outside only for the dog though). This is way more common in Europe and it was really missing here until the breweries started opening.

Obviously it's not appropriate to bring kids to some super crowded rowdy brewery at 9pm but I don't have a problem at all with it on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. A lot of the breweries have games and stuff to keep kids occupied and a lot of them are very spacious and not very full midday.

popnfrresh OP t1_jeg63n1 wrote

Trillium specifically states only service dogs for some locations. That must mean its ok to bring a dog at other locations.

Puzzling how having a barking dog is ok, but quiet children are the end of the world.

popnfrresh OP t1_jebgrrg wrote

Well. It looks like a restaraunt. So that means this isn't a brewery. It would be a brew pub...

−25

jtet93 t1_jebjf22 wrote

What’s the difference between a brew pub and a bar? People think it’s ok to bring their kids to one of them

man2010 t1_jebukdi wrote

Semantics and OP trying to justify bringing their kids to one but not the other

No_Judge_3817 t1_jec6j83 wrote

Idk I've seen brewpub used for generic restaurants like "tavern" or "alehouse" or "pub"

popnfrresh OP t1_jebm5rk wrote

Brew pub serves food and had a seperate seating area away from bar.

Kids don't belong in a bar. Brew pub is a restaraunt...

−10

man2010 t1_jebdzuc wrote

>How is it for children?

It's a place soley for buying and consuming alcohol, so not good

popnfrresh OP t1_jebgezb wrote

Do they serve food? Is it a restaraunt?

−12

rakis t1_jebhvb1 wrote

There is food but I wouldn’t call it kid friendly. Look up the Fort Point menu on their website.

If your kids are well behaved and have an adventurous palate, they might be ok.

popnfrresh OP t1_jebi4as wrote

The local brew pub I go to has a childrens menu they dont advertise and when I called they said they were "children friendly" and nothing else. Was no chance to speak with anyone.

Kids will be fine enough with a tablet to entertain them. Mainly looking to see if they have a childrens menu.

−28

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jee7rh8 wrote

Oh my god. A tablet. The worst thing you could bring anywhere with a child. Those things are always on full blast, disturbing everyone. It’s disrespectful and honestly disturbing you think that’s acceptable in a public place meant for adults to drink beer and shit.

rakis t1_jebihte wrote

No secret children’s menu, but I believe they’ll try their best to accommodate if you ask for tweaks.

popnfrresh OP t1_jebmb8p wrote

Just looking for smaller cheaper portion.

−22

joe0306 t1_jebh9np wrote

Yes they have a restaurant. It's a fine place to take kids.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jee7ixh wrote

I love how you totally ignore what they said. Regardless of food, it’s a brewery. That should be a clear cut answer for you.

psychout7 t1_jebgxbd wrote

The seaport Boston location is smaller than some.of their other spots. It would be fine for kids but at busy bar times it's real busy. The one by Blue Hills should have a playground because it's so packed with families.

Y'all saying that places that serve alcohol around kids must have missed the last 10+ years of craft brewery experiences. Relatedly, one of the coolest parts of Germany is finding the park-like beer gardens on a Saturday afternoon and just hanging with all the families.

crisp_urkle t1_jebpvon wrote

Agreed with your second paragraph, all the negative responses here about kids at brew pubs are pretty puzzling. Maybe I’m just getting lucky and not running into the feral children everyone seems to be so afraid of?

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jee8a5d wrote

I don’t want to see or hear children when I’m drinking. I go out to these places expecting them to be adults only, and when they aren’t it’s extremely annoying and ruins my experience. I see it as utterly disrespectful to bring children to places that should be exclusively adults.

popnfrresh OP t1_jeekd9i wrote

That's why. You are in college. It makes sense now. Having a drink to you means getting wasted and acting like a moron.

Awww poor buddy. You will learn one day.

−1

Chihuahua_enthusiast t1_jeeta6g wrote

Holy shit, you are insufferable

popnfrresh OP t1_jeew2ww wrote

f off. Come here asking for a recommendation and most of the people here think a brew pub ( a restaurant that sells beverages brewed on the premises - Never thought I would have to explain that ) should be banning kids.

Reasons include, loud, obnoxious, and should be exclusively adults. Nailed it. Maybe you loud obnoxious drunk morons should fuck off elsewhere. You give hostility for no fucking reason you get it back.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jeevksv wrote

I’m actually out of college in my 20s, enjoying my 20s. I don’t need irresponsible people bring children out where they shouldn’t be. Learn to be more respectful of people who don’t want children in their lives.

popnfrresh OP t1_jef0678 wrote

You dont own the restaraunt, cupcake.

I dont need irresponsible kids who think getting hammered is cool and being obnoxiously loud. Learn to be more respectful of people who dont want your childish antics.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jef0jyq wrote

Ya, sorry honey, I’m not a kid. I don’t get hammered, I like to have a good night without children present and if that starts at a brewery at 5pm then so be it. It doesn’t change the fact that a brewery is not where children belong. THAT is what you’re not getting

popnfrresh OP t1_jef0tmh wrote

Cant wait till sunday.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jef19z3 wrote

You’ve got to be a teenage troll. There’s no way an adult with children acts like this. Hope karma bites you in the face 👋

popnfrresh OP t1_jef1pk4 wrote

Nah, just someone who likes to fuck with assholes.

You want to have a conversation like an adult, you get treated like one. You wanna be a drunk college child, you get treated like one.

[deleted] t1_jef1gwo wrote

[deleted]

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jef1wm5 wrote

I’m a college grad, with a whole ass engineering degree with a whole full time job and a life and family that doesn’t include children. I live in Boston and can afford to live in Boston comfortably, I just bought a brand new car. I’ve paid off half of my 100k worth of student loans in less than a year. Call me a kid again, and that just proves that you are indeed the child in the conversation. I have no idea how you can call me a “drunk college kid”, there’s no grounds for you to stand on

popnfrresh OP t1_jef3qla wrote

Awww. Good for you kiddo.

With all that money and education you do don't know how to talk to people. I guess that's one thing you don't learn in college.

Again, I was contemplating skipping it, but you made me want to go even more.

Can't wait till Sunday!

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jeff2gc wrote

I just know where respect is earned not deserved. Obviously I have a bigger life perspective than you to take other people into consideration. If I were someone who wanted children, I would never ever impose them on other adults like you think is ok to do. Get a baby sitter, if you can’t afford one, you should have reevaluated your life decisions. Fuck, the disrespect and entitlement of people who choose to have children is disgusting. I may be young compared to you but I understand right from wrong at least.

popnfrresh OP t1_jeg5bdj wrote

You clearly dont. If you took other people into consideration you would have not said ANY of the shit you did.

You could have thought to your self. "Hey maybe a family deserves to be able to go out and have a good time at an hour thats reasonable for children to be out and not at a time im going to be out. Maybe I SHOULD give honest advice and answer the questions asked instead of being a douchebag. MAYBE these children are actually behaved and unlike the other children that run around like nutjobs ( seriously, sounds like boston has a problem with kids running around bars. Trillium confirmed they are great with kids, even the ones that run around like nuts). Maybe I should answer someone with a well thought out response."

You assume kids you dont know run around like nutjobs with no prior information. You claim to drink a lot. You sound like an asshole college drunk.

Clearly that didnt work. Clearly you dont understand right from wrong. I guess that fancy education failed you.

Since you wanna swing your dick around with money, jobs and possessions... I make a fuck ton more money than you do with a lot less debt. Nothing to do with a babysitter. It has to do with wanting to spend time with family. Maybe one day you will understand.

Until then kiddo, it would be wise of you to not act like a child online with your bullshit responses.

Can't wait to see you Sunday!

rakis t1_jebpmid wrote

So aside from the big conversation of “kids in bars”, my suggestion would be to try the Boston Public Market, inside are some food vendors, a bar, and a decent selection of New England beer to purchase.

It’s a mile or so from Trillium.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jee6msr wrote

Please don’t bring children to a brewery. I think I can speak for everyone when I say it’s the absolute last thing I want at a brewery. I don’t care if they have food or not, I will be pissed off if I see children ruining my adult experience.

popnfrresh OP t1_jeecsml wrote

Come on down Saturday night, trillium. You can sit right at the bar with your Panties in a twist. I'll be more then happy to ruin your experience.

−4

SolarFeline t1_jebn436 wrote

Please stop taking your children to bars and breweries, people. Yes, we notice. No, we don't like it.

Even like pubs or places with heavy food need to stop letting kids in after a certain time.

popnfrresh OP t1_jebnbyj wrote

JFC. Im not taking kids in while I drink at 10pm.

I want to sit down to dinner at 5.

internalogic t1_jec9fv7 wrote

Ignore that a$$hat. Your kids can chill w/ my kids. We’ll all be home, asleep before that guy even gets there.

cheech14 t1_jebsihz wrote

Who is "we" and why would anyone care what "we" thinks or notices?

There should be a time cutoff (5 or 6 pm) for 21+ but where else are childless and childbearing friends supposed to get together? The childless still want to see their friends with kids and big breweries are the perfect place to do it.

If "we" don't like it there are plenty of bars for drinking that don't allow kids.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jee7dwy wrote

You dont bring children if you go out drinking. That’s the weirdest fucking thing I’ve ever encountered. Get a babysittter to watch them while you visit with friends or stay home.

popnfrresh OP t1_jeehsum wrote

You must really be young. In your 20s I'm guessing. Or a drunk.

Most of the time when a parent asks about a restaraunt with beer, it's not to get drunk. It's TO EAT THE FOOD AND HAVE A DRINK. Gonna say it again, since you seem like an idiot. THE POINT OF GOING OUT AT 5PM IS TO EAT FOOD AND HAVE A BEER WITH DINNER. Did you get that?

Is there a problem with negligent parents going to alcohol only establishments and leaving their kids in Boston?

How hard is it to understand it is OK to go eat at 5pm?

There is more too life then getting wasted.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jeevb9g wrote

But if I’m going to a brewery, I’m going to be drinking A LOT. They have craft beer, it’s good, I’m going to want to try more than one. I’m saying get a babysitter if you want to go to those places. You’re the one who brought the fight to yourself just because you don’t like the responses. You put this question on the internet for other people’s opinions. You asked, many provided, don’t complain. Jesus fuck

popnfrresh OP t1_jeewqlk wrote

You are still a child. ROFL.

When you grow up you might understand "going out drinking" isnt cool anymore. You dont need to get hammered kiddo.

One day you will grow up.

abusive_prick t1_jebg24u wrote

If you have to ask, no. Depends how old/well behaved your kids are.

popnfrresh OP t1_jebga17 wrote

I tried to call and ask. We usually go to big ditch in Buffalo and is great with kids. They just said "we are family friendly" and didn't provide any other info or a way to talk to someone.

−2

abusive_prick t1_jebghet wrote

There’s no activities for kids that I remember, hope your kids like IPAs

popnfrresh OP t1_jebgnef wrote

Not looking for activities. Looking for food and a children's menu.

Do you guys not have brew pubs?

−1

abusive_prick t1_jebh2f4 wrote

No kids menus at Trillium, Harpoon, or Nightshift.

popnfrresh OP t1_jebhal9 wrote

Then most likely not going to go to eat there.

How is the beer ? Do they have canned/bottle beer?

abusive_prick t1_jebhhe0 wrote

Yes they sell beer to go, it’s the best brewery in Boston in my opinion (Trillium)

popnfrresh OP t1_jebhph6 wrote

Do I dare ask about a dispensary here also?

abusive_prick t1_jebi1u4 wrote

Ascend on Friend St. near the TD garden, they won’t let kids in even accompanied by adults I don’t think.

popnfrresh OP t1_jebi9me wrote

Not going to bring kids into the dispensary. They can wait with wife for that one.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jee8kpu wrote

Ya, it’s sounds like you shouldn’t have had kids. You want to do all the adult things but expect your kids to come along with you. Even if they are sitting in the car, you are expecting them to come along for the trip. If you choose to have kids, that’s your problem, don’t make it everyone else’s problem too.

popnfrresh OP t1_jeecffn wrote

You are an idiot.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jeeclm6 wrote

You still shouldn’t make YOUR children other people problem, don’t bring them to a brewery. It’s sick af

popnfrresh OP t1_jeed0gv wrote

Saturday. Come on down. I'm going to put the tablets at max volume. Pump them full of soda. Let them run all around you.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jeeuqik wrote

Ok, now I see you are a child too

popnfrresh OP t1_jeevl2l wrote

You are a moron. Does boston have a children running free problem?

You assumed children are going to be out of control. I assume you are an idiot.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jeevztq wrote

No but obviously that’s a defense mechanism for you. If you want to make assumptions about Boston, I’d say the complete opposite of where your from. This is not where ever you are from, so take advise from locals and don’t bring your fucking children to breweries.

We don’t need people like you gtfo of ma if you wanna act up like this.

popnfrresh OP t1_jeezwo8 wrote

Again, ill be there sunday. I was on the fence about going seeing as dumbasses clearly get their panties in a twist about "ruining your adult experience". Seeing your bs replies makes me want to go.

Hopefully you cant make it. Hopefully you get drunk. Hopefully you are an ass. Hopefully you start shit. Cant wait.

edgarallenpotato87 t1_jec8dq6 wrote

This is it. Judgement call for the parents. Your kids cool ok with chillin at a table with their iPad (or not) for an hour or two with some apps and food? Have at it. We aren’t talking about bars with shot girls and people grinding genitals on each other. Hangin at a table at a brewery or pub probably isn’t the most exciting thing for kids, but if they are ok with it you and your family are more than welcome in my book

−2

leeann0923 t1_jebq5hu wrote

We’ve taken our kids to Trillium for lunch a few times. They did have a kids menu when we went and there were other families too. There is a level with mostly tables at the Boston location and that’s where all the families were. It was kid appropriate and we all had fun. They had a kids coloring page and crayons. This sub leans very negative. It’s not weird unless you are bringing your kids at night and sitting them at the bar and/or letting them destroy the place.

popnfrresh OP t1_jebrp00 wrote

Didnt think asking a question about dinner with kids at 5pm would get all the millennials panties in a twist.

Do most people bring their kids to the bar, sitting at the bar, at 10 pm? Whats with all the panic?

−3

leeann0923 t1_jebvflx wrote

They don’t. Some people just like to be miserable. We frequently meet up for lunch/early dinners at brew pubs with other families and it’s very much a normal thing and not something that’s a big deal at all.

−5

9bfjo6gvhy7u8 t1_jed0cyc wrote

you can ignore most of the responses in this thread... i have 3 elementary aged kids and we have gone to many breweries in the area for lunch/dinner many times. one near us literally has a children's band come and play live music every few months, and our 5 year old tears up their dance floor.

haven't been to trillium specifically but like you say, they are usually just restaurants that brew their own beer on site. nobody is getting wasted at 5pm and fucking in the bathroom any more than any other fort point restaurant, which to be fair is mostly finance bros so actually there's a non zero chance your kids' cocaine habit gets a kick start

−5

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jee72dk wrote

That’s disrespectful as hell. I don’t want loud, crying, obnoxious children interrupting my dinner and/or drinks. I want to be able to eat and get drunk without the presence of children. Go to friendlys or someplace that’s designed for children, not a bar, not a brewery, not even a pub. Now please be an adult and be respectful of all the other adults in this world, and don’t take your children to these places.

popnfrresh OP t1_jeecigi wrote

Second posting you are an idiot.

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jeecqee wrote

Please give some insight to why you think that. Sounds like someone who’s immature and shouldn’t have made the choice to have children

9bfjo6gvhy7u8 t1_jeeg9as wrote

And I don’t want to deal with douche canoe bros who think they own every restaurant they walk into but I guess we will just have to tolerate each other

−1

Present-Evidence-560 t1_jeeuwe8 wrote

Says the one with the unpopular vote. I’m sorry, you’re just wrong

9bfjo6gvhy7u8 t1_jeexnj5 wrote

Hey man you do you, but using reddit upvotes as a reflection of the real world is naive at best.

You seem to believe that you are entitled to your space in a restaurant but that's just not how the world works. Kids exist. 99% of them are better mannered and more pleasant than you and your buddies 5 beers deep on a thursday afternoon. "bUt WhEn kIds aRe LouD ItS ObNoxiUs" yeah I agree. it's also obnoxious when adults are loud and drunk. should we ban all lacrosse players from bars too just because I find them unpleasant? No. That's fucking stupid and i'm making generalizations based on dumb stereotypes. In reality i'm sure my family could eat at a table next to yours and neither of us would ever notice each others' existence.

if you want a kid free space there are plenty of bars/clubs/shows that are 18 or 21+. trillium is not one of those spaces. just because a place serves beer doesn't make it a place for you to get wasted after work.

If we're gonna start dividing spaces like this, then you can fuck off from all the beaches and parks during the daytime. You definitely cannot bring beer to the beach anymore. I also hope I never see you at a sporting event (we wouldn't want you to have to see a child having a good time).

The whole premise of this conversation is fucking stupid. You do your thing and families will do theirs.

ho1dfast t1_jebt0g5 wrote

My god when slumbrew had their tent at assembly it was a godsend to a new family. They had tons of toys and it allowed a stressed out and sleep deprived mom and dad a few minutes to feel like a fucking person. By the amount of nods from other families it was gold. No one is taking there kids to bars after 7pm.

AnywayBrotha t1_jeecjiu wrote

That particular Trillium location is just really loud, poor acoustics. Might not be fun for a kid. Would recommend Harpoon brewery before that- more room to spread out, better lighting etc etc.

Bartaco on that street is very good for a casual dinner but it gets busy pretty quick.

Flour is a coffee shop on the next street over. I prefer Tatte myself, but Flour lends itself to being more kid friendly with all their sweet treats.

Tree House brewery was rated something like top 5 in the country but it’s a far drive from Boston.

City Tap is a restaurant near by with an insane amount of beer selections, lots of sours!

[deleted] t1_jebqjue wrote

[deleted]

popnfrresh OP t1_jebrcj6 wrote

ROFLMAO. Nope. Im trying to get the kids to dance on the bar and bother people. Also gotta make sure they run all over the place and bother you. Also, its even better at 10pm or later.

M_Shulman t1_jece29z wrote

Yes as coffee goes Dunkin sucks, but we don’t hate it. You’ll see a DD every other block and they’re all packed every morning. It’s quick, easy and reliable.

popnfrresh OP t1_jecel6f wrote

Grew up in nj so more than familiar. Any suggestions for local?

−2

M_Shulman t1_jeck25r wrote

Most of the stuff in the Seaport is newer or chains. Tatte is a local chain that is quite good. Have coffee, sandwiches, desserts. Locations in the Seaport and just over the bridge in the financial district.

Least_Antelope782 t1_jecn4hz wrote

Almost every dive bar has kid friendly dishes like chicken fingers, burgers, pizza etc. Dive bars serve alcohol. Breweries, by virtue of their very existence, are designed to serve alcohol. Based on this logic, Coogans would also be a great place to bring children.