Submitted by Fearless-Knee2008 t3_10l5fnf in boston

Hi! I’m a political science student at Boston University. I’m working on a project to inform and connect Boston residents and communities with their local government by creating and distributing a weekly newsletter summarizing Boston City Council meetings. My goal is to make important government proceedings accessible so busy people can understand what is going on in their city and how they might be affected by new policies. If anyone is interested in a quick digestible update on Boston government I have included my first newsletter and the link to get free weekly information about local issues important to life in Boston. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Boston City Council Meeting - 1/11/2023

Meeting Length: 2 hours 33 minutes

Attendance: All present, Ed Flynn Presiding as President

Motions from the Mayor:

• Request for $21,600,000 for renovating boilers, windows, and doors at local schools including Boston Day and Evening Academy, Henderson Upper School, Rafael Hernandez School, and William E. Russell School. Referred to the committee on ways and means
  • 0112 and 0113 were passed immediately and unanimously allotting $110,160 for pay increases of 2%, 1.5%, and 2% over the next three years for 86 employees at the public health commission as required by their collective bargaining agreement.
  • 0114 $5 million federal grant from Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to reimburse expenses for the blizzard of Jan 29-30. Referred to the committee on public safety and criminal justice.
  • 0115 $2.25 million grant from the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services to fund equipment and supplies for the Boston Fire Department’s Training Academy and Technical Rescue division. Referred to the committee on public safety and criminal justice.
  • $1,633,500 grant from FEMA to be administered by the Environment Department to fund planning and design activities surrounding Moakley park near the Dorchester waterfront. The project will complement flood mitigation efforts within Moakley Park. 0116 referred to the committee on environmental justice, resiliency, and parks despite an objection from Councilor Baker requesting the motion be referred to the committee on planning.
  • $870,000 grant funded by the Barr Foundation for the implementation of Climate Ready Boston initiatives including coastal and heat resilience, equitable electrification, and creating a community tree care program. 0117 referred to the committee on environmental justice, resiliency, and parks.
  • $297,200 grant from the Massachusetts Cultural Council to fund arts, humanities, and interpretive sciences programs to enhance the quality of life within Boston. 0118 referred to the committee on arts, culture, and special events
  • $235,000 grant funded by the Boston Foundation to expand mobile outreach and more equitably and effectively connect people to housing, treatment, and other services. 0119 referred to the committee on public health, homelessness, and recovery.
  • $160,000 grant from the Donor Group to fund programs, initiatives, and events that integrate and engage immigrants in the life of the city of Boston. 0120 referred to the committee on civil rights and immigration advancement.
  • $150,000 grant from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to fund two full-time Domestic Violence advocates (0121), and a $119,245.53 grant from the US Department of Justice as part of the Violence Against Women Act to fund overtime for all civilian domestic violence advocates and for a Civilian Domestic Violence Advocate in Jamaica Plain, East Boston, and Charlestown (0123). Both received unanimous expedited passage on the recommendation of Councilor Flaherty.
  • $150,000 grant from the Donor Group for senior center programs and services. 0122 referred to the committee on strong women, families, and communities
  • $92,736 grant from FEMA for updates and improvements at the Bragdon Street operations site (0124). $3,000 grant from the US Department of Justice to fund the administrative fee on a previous grant for five video cameras in the Bowdoin/Geneva neighborhood (0125). Both received unanimous expedited passage on the recommendation of Councilor Flaherty.

Motions, Orders, and Resolutions:

• Councilors Worrell and Louijeune propose using a home rule petition to correct disparities in liquor licenses between neighborhoods. 0133 Referred to the committee on government operations.
  • Councilor Flaherty proposes expediting the measure delivering retirement benefits to the wife of a deceased police officer. 0134 receives unanimous expedited passage.
  • Councilors Arroyo and Mejia propose reorganizing the Boston School Committee. 0135 Referred to the committee on government operations.
  • Councilor Arroyo proposes the creation of a municipal ID which also functions as a subway, library, and museum card. 0136 referred to the committee on government operations
  • Councilors Arroyo and Breadon propose protections for the City of Boston’s tree canopy. 0137 referred to the council on government operations.
  • Councilors Louijeune, Arroyo, and Bok propose moving beekeeping regulation from the zoning code to the municipal code. 0138, 0139 referred to the committee on government operations
  • Councilor Murphy proposes a hearing on proactively fighting summer violence. After conflict about whether this should be separate from broader anti violence issues, 0140 is referred to the committee on
  • Councilors Worrell and Mejia propose a hearing on reducing barriers for small businesses. 0141 referred to the committee on small business and professional licensure.
  • Councilor Worrell proposes a hearing on educational data tracking systems. 0142 referred to the committee on education.
  • Councilors Worrell, Louijeune, and Fernandes Anderson propose a hearing on gun violence. 0143 referred to the committee on public safety and criminal justice.
  • Councilors Flynn, Colleta, and Breadon propose a hearing on pest control. 0144 referred to the committee on city services and innovation technology.
  • Councilors Flynn and Flaherty propose a hearing on the safety of public infrastructure. 0145 referred to the committee on city services and innovation technology.
  • Councilors Colleta and Flynn propose a hearing on the coordination of construction and utility permits. 0146 referred to the committee on city services and innovation technology.
  • Councilors Coletta, Louijeune, and Lara propose a hearing to create a climate change and environmental justice curriculum in Boston Public schools (BPS). 0147 referred to the committee on education
  • Councilors Coletta, Louijeune, and Arroyo propose a hearing to expand the availability of contraception and menstrual product vending machines. 0148 referred to the committee on public health, homelessness, and recovery.
  • Councilors Colleta, Breadon, and Bok propose a hearing on creating a tree mitigation fund to protect Boston’s tree canopy. 0149 referred to the committee on environmental justice, resiliency, and parks.
  • Councilor Coletta proposes a hearing to enhance the comprehensive planning process for Boston’s waterfront. 0150 referred to the committee on planning, development, and transportation.
  • Councilors Coletta, Louijeune, and Bok propose a hearing to coordinate the response to drink spiking in clubs and bars. 0151 referred to the committee on public safety and criminal justice.
  • Councilors Louijeune, Bok, and Fernandes Anderson propose a hearing to use bonds and debt to increase funding for affordable housing, climate issues, and BPS. 0152 referred to the committee on ways and means.
  • Councilors Louijeune, Fernandes Anderson, and Worrell propose a hearing regarding the required biannual review of the Boston Employment Commission and Boston Residents Jobs Policy. 0153 referred to the committee on workforce, labor, and economic development.
  • Councilors Louijeune, Breadon and Flaherty propose a hearing on supporting victims of fire and improving emergency disaster relief services. 0154 referred to the committee on city services and innovation technology.
  • Councilor Louijeune proposed a hearing on the increase in discrimination and hate crimes. 0155 referred to the committee on civil rights and immigration advancement.
  • Councilors Louijeune, Colleta, and Mejia propose a hearing to improve abortion and pregnancy services. 0156 referred to the committee on public health, homelessness, and recovery.
  • Councilors Louijeune, Fernandes Anderson, and Bok propose a hearing on Boston’s Acquisition Opportunity Program’s role in preventing displacement. 0157 referred to the committee on housing and community development.
  • Councilors Louijeune, Colleta, and Fernandes Anderson propose a hearing on the needs and services of migrant populations. 0158 referred to the committee on civil rights and immigrant advancement.
  • Councilors Bok, Worrell and Breadon propose a hearing reviewing COVID-19 recovery funds. 0159 referred to the committee on Boston’s COVID-19 recovery.
  • Councilors Bok and Worrell propose a hearing on expanding sidewalk snow clearance. 0160 referred to the committee on city services and innovation technology.
  • Councilor Bok proposes a hearing on increasing the amount of operational public housing by 25%. 0161 referred to the committee on housing and community development
  • Councilors Bok, Worrell, and Colletta propose a hearing on competing for federal COVID recovery aid. 0162 referred to the committee on Boston’s COVID 19 recovery.
  • Councilors Mejia, Bok, and Worrell propose a hearing to include victims in conversations about sexual harassment and assault in BPS. 0163 referred to the committee on education
  • Councilors Louijeune, Bok, and Fernandes Anderson propose a hearing on discrimination in the housing and real estate industry. 0164 referred to the committee on civil rights and immigration advancement.
  • Councilor Mejia, Arroyo, and Fernandes Anderson propose a hearing to increase transparency and accountability towards services for English Language Learning students. 0165 referred to the committee on government accountability, transparency, and accessibility.
  • Councilors Murphy and Flaherty propose a hearing to coordinate police and school safety officers to protect safety in BPS. Councilor Louijeune responds to this proposal by emphasizing the importance of proactive safety measures not involving police or safety officers such as staff shortages and restorative justice. 0166 referred to the committee on public safety and criminal justice despite a request by Councilor Mejia that it be referred to the committee on education.
  • Councilor Mejia proposes a hearing furthering transparency and accountability in COVID policy at BPS. 0167 referred to the committee on education.
  • Councilors Louijeune, Fernandes Anderson, and Worrell propose a hearing on the civil rights and liberties of citizens returning to Boston. 0168 referred to the committee on civil rights and immigration advancement.
  • Councilors Mejia and Fernandes Anderson propose a hearing on decision making protocols in city government. 0169 referred to the committee on government accountability, transparency, and accessibility.
  • Councilor Mejia, Coletta and Louijeune propose a hearing on the closure of Clougherty Pool in Charlestown. 0170 referred to the committee on government accountability, transparency, and accessibility.
  • Councilor Mejia proposes a hearing on diversifying cannabis business in Boston. 0171 referred to the committee on small business and professional licensure.
  • 0172 was withdrawn.
  • Councilor Mejia and Lara propose a hearing on plans to consolidate BPS and split them into multiple campuses. 0173 referred to the committee on education.
  • Councilor Murphy requests information on special education and grants for private schools. At the request of Councilor Murphy 0174 and 0175 receive unanimous expedited approval.

Green Sheets:

• A late file is added into the agenda, a typographical error is corrected, and the docket is passed unanimously.

Personnel Orders:

• At the request of the Chair 0176, 0177, 0178, 0179, and 0180 receive unanimous expedited approval.

Consent Agenda:

• With no changes dockets 0181-0211 are adopted unanimously

Resources:

• The entire city council meeting is available here
  • The resolutions and motions are available here
  • More information on each city councilor is available here
  • If you have any questions you would like answered by the city council or any feedback on this newsletter, please email us at info@purplely.org.

Comments