Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

No_Judge_3817 t1_j6dzw9k wrote

Because Santa is a fascist dictator of an armed militant ethnostate (elves) who WILL commit acts of violence to prevent intrusions on their airspace

LoanWolf888 t1_j6e04kt wrote

Japan Airlines has direct flights from Boston to Narita.

Edit to add: Cathay Pacific has direct flights from Boston to Hong Kong that go over the North Pole.

meatfrappe t1_j6e0f37 wrote

In 2008 the Red Sox opened the season in Tokyo against the Athletics, an MLB initiative to build the brand in Japan. They took a chartered flight from Boston that went to Tokyo via the pole. I remember seeing a photo (in the Globe, I think) of some of the players looking out the window in the middle of the flight at the ice sheet near the North Pole. I did a quick search online for the picture but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can?

Years later I flew to Tokyo from Detroit and managed to take my own photo of the ice cap. Coming from Detroit we didn't go directly over the pole but we were a few hundred miles North of the northernmost part of Alaska.

drtywater t1_j6e0tl2 wrote

Umm we do have those flights. JAL has had a direct Tokyo flight for years. In addition Korean Air has a direct to Seoul that I believe they are restarting. Hainan is restarting directs to Beijing and Shanghai. Finally Cathay Pacific flies direct to Hong Kong and goes over pole

anurodhp t1_j6e1att wrote

We have flights but after the Russian invasion of ukraine everyone is flying around russian space. Not a big deal for Japan but is for some other flights

Mumbles76 t1_j6e972n wrote

Do you really want a direct? I've done it 14 hours, it was miserable. I mean the airline was great, but 14 hours in a tube? It sucked, I could barely stand when I finally got up.

cpxh t1_j6egog1 wrote

It's worse to route through CA. Sure you break it up but you add so many extra hours to the trip. I'd rather get it all overwith in as short a time as possible.

baroquesun t1_j6es99d wrote

Direct all day. It wasn't quite as long, but having done Boston to Hawaii and back, I'd pick the direct every time. Flying there with a 3 hour layover in LAX was somehow worse than flying back to Boston in a middle seat for 10 hours.

Tedroe77 t1_j6fhj18 wrote

The reason there are no flights that go over the North Pole is one of the main pieces of “evidence” that Flat Earthers use to “prove” the earth is flat. They say the world as we know it is a big disk with all of the countries and oceans on it that has ice around the edges, which the round earthers call “the arctic” and “Antarctic.” And that all of the “space” photos, moon landings, etc. are all fake.

Mumbles76 t1_j6gdobf wrote

Different strokes, different folks. I regularly fly to Asia and i'll take the shitty stopover every time. And here's the kicker, i'm a huge aviation enthusiast. Love flying to my core. Not claustrophobic either. Just hate sitting in those shitty seats for that long.