Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Eswyft t1_iz12n7d wrote

Yea, these numbers are fucking appalling. Is this person in a developed nation? They must be right?

Like, this is absolutely fucking brutal. Even at his best, he said 20hr, dear god. Min wage is 15 in some places and is far less effort. And he has an average sub 10/hr for sure.

​

I've stopped using these services, I always tipped 20% plus but the drivers were often brutal. I live on a street you cant turn left across, the app always accomadates for it. So many times these guys would ignore the app, couldnt turn left, and then just vanish. Uber is the same way, they often ignore the app, go by it, try to turn but do it on another road that doesn't get back to it, and they cancel.

I'm in vancouver, in the core of the city. Streets like this arent uncommon but I do find that 9/10 drivers i actually talk to travel in from the sub urbs to do this kinda work. Which means they are travelling to and from work for an hour plus.

​

I had a guy working for me at 28/hr. He started doing uber, calls in sick the next day. Day after, im like what's up? He says, "I started uber and one ride from vancouver to chilliwack paid me 200!! So I'm quitting."

I told him that's all good, but he isnt getting that 200, that's what the guy paid. I tried to show him on the app, that he will still have to pay income tax, that was about a 160km trip, gas.

He was so happy though, said he was going to be rich. I wished him well, and off he went.

​

It makes me wonder in general what people are thinking doing these jobs. The only way I see them working is if you're on a bike and you're also doing it as exercise and as a side job, although as a side job you'll get wrecked on taxes if you have any kind of decent job as well.

I don't see how the average driver/delivery person doesn't see how little they are earning.

Nnelg1990 t1_iz1q50f wrote

In Belgium there is the system of flexi-jobs where you don't have to pay taxes if you do it as a side job.

rectovaginalfistula t1_iz1ie39 wrote

This is why, in my city, the driver market (uber/doordash/etc) is almost entirely immigrants without great English. They're willing to bid super low on their labor for who knows what reason. Hard to get a better job? Don't understand the hidden costs?

Eswyft t1_iz1lgna wrote

I'm in Vancouver. There are tons of jobs at 25 hour with zero experience, yet people still do these jobs.

The guy i referenced was a refugee from somalia. He had been here awhile though. I wonder if there is a fundamental lack of knowledge about taxes and other hidden cost at play they may not be so large in other places. It might not cost so much to repair your etc maybe. Maybe taxes are lower