Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lotec4 t1_j3z1ywn wrote

That's not how this works. We don't absorb protein. We take protein and break it down into amino acids. Amino acids are the same no matter the source. What matters is the distribution of amino acids in food. Combining grains and lentils for example gives you a better bioavailability than meat. There is no such thing as protein quality. We use amino acids and they are all the same.

ReneHigitta t1_j40les7 wrote

Do you happen to have a solid but accessible source on this? There's just sooooo much content on nutrition out there with all degrees of reliability and no easy way to filter the good from the absolutely made up

lotec4 t1_j49qvn2 wrote

You can just Google the amino acid content of each individual food. Or use a food tracker like cronometer. It shows you the amino acids you get and your daily need. Nutrition content isn't that hard to filter if you avoid websites and go straight for papers.

This video is in German but you can check out the referenced papers in the discription. https://youtu.be/_IRjZpmPZ-Y

The guy is a nutrition scientist and has a lot of stuff on all different kind of topics.

stoic-cpa t1_j4wkxz5 wrote

Not all protein sources are equal. In order for a protein to be fully utilized its amino acid composition must contain a certain amount of each essential amino acid. 1 gram of pea protein yields about 70% as much of 1 gram of animal protein. I'd recommend looking up DIAAS.

lotec4 t1_j4xrm85 wrote

Not entirely true only eggs have the perfect amino acid profile. Meat yields about 80% and yes peas do about 70% but as I already mentioned people don't just consume one thing. You have to account everything you eat in one day. Peas combined with a grain will fetch you a higher bioavailability than meat.

I recommend looking up basic nutrition science

stoic-cpa t1_j526j92 wrote

Personally, as a weightlifter with protein goals I find it easier and more practical to look at a diaas chart, than to research the amino acid profile of grains or legumes to see if the combination yields a higher bioavailability. For me it ends up as: if I'm eating lentils I'll eat a bit more taking into account not all the aminos are there