Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

st4n13l t1_iu1prhu wrote

The idea that all African Americans are Jewish is indeed fringe. The idea that some African Americans are Jewish is a matter of fact.

Which scenario are you referring to and if the former, where did you hear this? I'd be very suspicious of the source of the claim.

WilliamMinorsWords t1_iu1pp9x wrote

I'm not sure I understand your question. Could you frame this a little more clearly? Are you asking why it is a fringe idea? I'm not sure there could be an objective answer to any "idea."

Is this a question about Black Hebrew Israelites? Or, like Sammy Davis Jr?

stairway2evan t1_iu1syei wrote

The modern Black Hebrew Israelite movement is definitely a fringe religion - it was started in the late 1800's when a couple of people claimed to have received mystic revelations that African Americans are the direct descendants of the Hebrews. This is not an idea that's backed up by any genealogy or cultural research; just a vision. From that idea, several different groups and churches began to spawn - many of which are considered offshoots of Christianity by religious scholars and other religious groups, because they often involve Christian doctrine and scriptures that most other groups of Jews reject.

There's a current extremist fringe among some of those groups with especially harmful beliefs (anti-Semitism, black supremacy, violence against other groups, etc.) but there are also many Hebrew Israelite groups that are much more moderate - they don't advocate violence or racism. It's important not to lump everyone who's a part of the religion as a whole (even if not all of us agree with the premise of the religion) with the actual extremists that pop up on the news.

Outside of those groups, there are African Americans who are Jewish - traditionally Jewish, not Black Israelite. There are many Jews of color around the world, though there's some disagreement over whether "Jews of color" is a useful umbrella term or not, since it lumps together a huge number of groups.

21_MushroomCupcakes t1_iu1qn77 wrote

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Mormon idea that indigenous Americans are lost tribes of Israel?

They also think the Garden of Eden is in Missouri, so I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

^(e: Don't tell me this guy confused Native Americans with African Americans...)

Narrator_Ron_Howard t1_iu1uynp wrote

“They also think the Garden of Eden is in Missouri…”

In fact, it was a Hilton Garden Inn. The man who gave them directions spoke a little fast.

ShaneOfan t1_iu1r2qe wrote

The idea is that African Jews are one of the lost tribes. They do have similarities to other Jewish groups but the main difference is they seem to have split some time after the Torah but before the Tanakh. As they (mostly) only follow the Torah.

Flair_Helper t1_iu1uy56 wrote

Please read this entire message

Your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

Subjective or speculative replies are not allowed on ELI5. Only objective explanations are permitted here; your question is asking for speculation or subjective responses. This includes anything asking for peoples' subjective opinions, any kind of discussion, and anything where we would have to speculate on the answer. This very much includes asking about motivations of people or companies. This includes Just-so stories.

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe this submission was removed erroneously, please use this form and we will review your submission.