Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Nitemiche t1_j6lc2eo wrote

It's not restricted to red meat. On Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all Fridays during Lent, adult Catholics over the age of 14 abstain from eating meat. During these days, it is not acceptable to eat lamb, chicken, beef, pork, ham, deer and most other meats. However, eggs, milk, fish, grains, and fruits and vegetables are all allowed.

MisterProfGuy t1_j6lfmvp wrote

And of course beavers are also fish.

triggerhappymidget t1_j6lib2w wrote

And capybara

BowwwwBallll t1_j6lmaxu wrote

And alligators.

OwlrageousJones t1_j6lmt86 wrote

And puffins.

krisalyssa t1_j6lqmuy wrote

And the fruit bats… and the breakfast cereals….

5050Clown t1_j6lspna wrote

Human flesh and blood are on the menu though. Provided it is the flesh and blood of the greatest human who ever lived.

Lagduf t1_j6ltwgz wrote

Yep but only Doomsday could spill Superman’s blood so I assume it’s pretty rare to get a glass of Clark’s Delight.

karmicrelease t1_j6lp3dr wrote

What about platypus?

Bretty_boy t1_j6lskd6 wrote

How could god have not made a rule about monotremes! Sounds like he really half assed these lent rules

karmicrelease t1_j6m36x6 wrote

It’s almost like he didn’t know they existed because they authors of the various books of the Bible didn’t. But I’m sure it just slipped his mind /s

wufnu t1_j6lojkz wrote

What about ducks?!

Also, glad to see other historical food channel addicts are represented here. I don't even like to fucking cook...

mcpatsky t1_j6nwkrd wrote

Just eat beaver all day long. My wife told me it was OK

militaryCoo t1_j6lfzvf wrote

Eggs aren't allowed. Hence pancakes on Pancake Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent

Phantom_Ganon t1_j6lmry7 wrote

>Eggs aren't allowed

Catholics are allowed to eat eggs during Lent. I can't find anything on Google saying otherwise.

Edit: TIL. I had never even heard of Shrove Tuesday.

86tuning t1_j6luoxu wrote

sometimes called fat tuesday or mardi gras.

Phantom_Ganon t1_j6ln646 wrote

Wow. I've never even heard of Shrove Tuesday. I wonder when they changed the rules that allow us to eat eggs during Lent.

makkdom t1_j6lnlun wrote

It is not the eggs that are the issue. Pancakes would have been cooked and eaten on Tuesday to use up the animal fat that greased the griddle. The fat had to be gone by Ash Wednesday or it would spoil during lent.

drunk_haile_selassie t1_j6lvxh4 wrote

The rules for Catholics have lapsed quite a lot over time. They used to not be allowed to eat meat on any Friday. Now its just Good Friday.

NetworkLlama t1_j6lxfia wrote

This is where McDonald's Filet-O-Fish came from. McDonald's fanchisee Lou Coen came up with the idea. McDonald's founder Ray Kroc wasn't convinced and devised a Hula Burger (grilled pineapple with cheese) as an alternative and challenged Coen to a competition. The highest-selling product would win.

The Filet-O-Fish won handily, selling 350 to...some very small number that Ray Kroc wouldn't admit. It was reportedly the first ever addition to the McDonald's menu. It was a huge hit among Catholics after that.

gwaydms t1_j6lykxe wrote

Our local Catholic churches have Friday fish fries during Lent. Fish and chips/fries, hushpuppies, maybe cole slaw or potato salad. You don't have to be Catholic to pick up a plate. As Episcopalians we observe Lent also, and some of those churches have great fried fish.

C4-BlueCat t1_j6m072u wrote

Ooh, is that why Thursday is a traditonal pancake day :o

somethingkooky t1_j6lh03e wrote

Pancakes have eggs in them, or egg products (in the case of “just add water” mixes). Edit: apologies, I misread the post - I thought it was saying that Pancake Tuesday (the day before Ash Wednesday) was the first day of Lent.

Whynotme23 t1_j6lherm wrote

Which is probably why he said the day before the first day of lent they have pancakes……..

somethingkooky t1_j6lhohz wrote

I clearly know little to nothing about religion - I thought they were saying that pancakes were ok because they didn’t have eggs! (I read it as Tuesday being the first day of Lent.) Thanks for the info, TIL.

mmgoodly t1_j6luoc4 wrote

They throw pancake breakfast events for fundraisers sometimes and I suspect this is the original time/explanation/excuse for those. See Frank Zappa's whimsically manic song "St. Alfonso's Pancake Breakfast" for a deconstruction of that kind of deal.

Nitemiche t1_j6lokb0 wrote

Lenten abstinence from meat byproducts is no longer required for Latin-rite Catholics, although it is still mandatory in Eastern churches that are in union with Rome.

drunk_haile_selassie t1_j6lvq0d wrote

My dad was raised catholic but never practiced as an adult. We ate fish for dinner every Friday. And I still do to this day. None of us are religious but it's just tradition I guess.

I do remember being spanked by my Nan for eating beef on good Friday though.