Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Flair_Helper t1_j67lod7 wrote

Please read this entire message

Your submission has been removed for the following reason(s):

ELI5 is not meant for any question that you may have, including personal questions, medical questions, legal questions, etc. It is meant for simplifying complex concepts.

If you would like this removal reviewed, please read the detailed rules first. If you believe this submission was removed erroneously, please use this form and we will review your submission.

The_Truthkeeper t1_j67lq4j wrote

'Air' didn't get in. You let the milk spoil, which is caused by bacteria reproducing. Bacteria are alive, they eat and shit like any other living thing. In your case, they ate the water and sugar in the milk and shat alcohol and carbon dioxide, and kept doing that until the pressure was too high for the container to hold.

SpermWhaleGodKing OP t1_j67lwii wrote

Okay I see. So the stuff they were shitting took up more space than the stuff they were consuming so it exploded?

The_Truthkeeper t1_j67mcy7 wrote

Exactly, gas takes up more space than liquid.

SpermWhaleGodKing OP t1_j67mu54 wrote

Ahhh rigjt yes the molecules or whatever are further apart or something I remember seeing those graphics in school lol

SpermWhaleGodKing OP t1_j67n5nh wrote

What would happen if it was something stronger than a plastic bottle?

What if it was a very strong material sealing the milk in and the bacteria kept going making more and more gas? What would happen?

The_Truthkeeper t1_j67onk0 wrote

The pressure will keep building up until either the container gives way or the bacteria run out of sugar to eat.

SpermWhaleGodKing OP t1_j67ltgo wrote

Yeah this removal was wrong. This isn’t at all a personal thing, I genuinely wanted to know how the chemical phenomenon worked. This in no way affects my life personally. I don’t often store milk at room temperature and forget about it lol

asdfcrow t1_j67mgn2 wrote

not more matter, the milk’s molecules are converted to gas molecules by chemical reaction, prob part of the bacteria growth/fermentation process, gas molecules want to be farther away from eachother than they did as liquids, and this was definitely the case here, because the molecules once converted to gas create pressure inside the bottle, the more milk molecules that the bacteria eats, the more gas is created, and the more pressure is built up inside the bottle until the seal breaks.

SpermWhaleGodKing OP t1_j67n0qg wrote

Thanks I get it now. I wasn’t really sure how it even happened cause I assumed if additional air/gas could get in idk how it wasn’t able to get back out.

This makes a lot more sense. I was just very surprised by the explosion and it made me curious lol

SpermWhaleGodKing OP t1_j67n52d wrote

What would happen if it was something stronger than a plastic bottle?

What if it was a very strong material sealing the milk in and the bacteria kept going making more and more gas? What would happen?