Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

potatoman87 t1_ja3x1ql wrote

Jesus christ that looks so bland.

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja41eg6 wrote

I had ranch for the veggies, fish was salt and peppered just trying to do a simple healthy meal.

potatoman87 t1_ja459x1 wrote

Not healthy for your soul! xD Jk, ranch helps alot, but raw broccoli?

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja49p3z wrote

I enjoy broccoli in all forms. Except for rotten, I guess.

absolutelyuseless31 t1_ja4kyxv wrote

Same! Raw, steamed, roasted, and so on. Pan fried with garlic, red pepper, olive oil, and soy sauce it my fav outside of raw with ranch

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4loy3 wrote

The next time I get a chance, I’ll definitely have to try it like that!

SunChipMan t1_ja4hres wrote

raw broccoli is fine as a snack. with a meal i'd steam it with the carrots, add some lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Use the tomatoes and cucumber with a small salad.

nocturnalolive t1_ja42d9e wrote

This is why most people think of veggies as the anti-treat.

champagneflute t1_ja4v6tb wrote

Yes, potato / possibly folded bun aside, this screams portion controlled diet and no flavour.

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja5ba8j wrote

I was just trying to make a quick meal and be healthy… I was full after this.

JonnyOgrodnik t1_ja5k3ow wrote

Nothing wrong with being healthy OP. That plate looks great! I’d definitely dip the broccoli and carrots in ranch though, but that’s me.

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja5knaz wrote

The container of ranch was hiding off to the side and was too large for the plate. That fault is all on me.

JonnyOgrodnik t1_ja5jrqt wrote

That’s a potato, not a folded bun. It was in the description.

Ooooopiepoopie t1_ja4ey76 wrote

I’ve never in my life had raw veggies with a meal. Usually raw veggies are on a platter at a co workers going away party and the broccoli is always the last one standing. I applaud you for trying to eat healthy. I couldn’t do it but good for you!

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4fq4j wrote

Lol I’m usually the one to eat all of the raw broccoli at the going away party! It was just a time constraint and keeping my two little boys from killing each other while trying to feed myself.

ubapook2 t1_ja6a3rb wrote

You say that as though most of the world doesn’t eat raw veggies, when it’s very normal lol

agentchuck t1_ja8bjzo wrote

I don't know the statistics but a lot of the world doesn't actually eat raw vegetables. It's pretty uncommon in a lot of places because vegetables can end up covered in bacteria, etc. Cooking reduces the risk of getting seriously sick. As an example, in China you'll get a ton of vegetables in everything, but it's all cooked.

Inner_Hunter3183 t1_ja4uex8 wrote

SEASON SEASON SEASON…at least slightly sauté them 😂

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4uq1t wrote

I whole heartedly agree. I do like raw veggies too, though. Only made two dirty dishes making this so that’s always a plus for me as well.

Popular_Dream_1460 t1_ja3w6vq wrote

Do you not believe in seasoning?

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja41640 wrote

The first time I tried to post this it included the word “simple” and it got removed. I used salt and pepper. And butter with the sweet potato. My pallet is perfectly fine with just that when it comes to fish. This was literally just about a 6 minute dish whenever the sweet potato was cooked enough. Used ranch to dip the veggies in.

NateCantCook t1_ja428ba wrote

How was it?

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja43131 wrote

I thoroughly enjoyed it, fish and sweet potato were cooked just to my liking. Veggies were fresh!

NateCantCook t1_ja43lh8 wrote

Excellent! It looks simple, but I was thinking everything looks fresh! gif

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja43xxu wrote

That’s exactly what it was meant to be, simple and quick. The kids make it to where I don’t have much time these days to bang out an immaculate meal.

NateCantCook t1_ja45vu4 wrote

I totally get it. I have two kids myself, and finding the time to cook the meal, set up the lighting, get the camera, place the food, etc. It just gets too much. Not everything has to look pristine to be good. Fed is best applies to adults too :-D

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4ky0a wrote

Lol so happy you understand. I just wanted proper nutrition as easy as I could get it. I was just happy with what I could do in what really was less than 10 minutes minus waiting for the sweet potato.

NateCantCook t1_ja4oacq wrote

Not everything needs to be perfect. You find that out pretty quickly when you're a parent 🤣

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja42ljj wrote

For everyone just roasting this. I wasn’t going for a Michelin star, I just quickly made this… I’m trying not to be a fat ass.

Popular_Dream_1460 t1_ja45c5m wrote

No one made you post this basic plate.

MiguelElGato t1_ja4ex8k wrote

Exactly. I might as well open my refrigerator and snap a pic. Almost the same amount of effort. Like, why bother? I'm out.

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4i066 wrote

Well the sub is called “food” just thought it looked nice and felt like being apart of Reddit. But we all have different opinions. I’ve seen much worse on this sub.

−2

Popular_Dream_1460 t1_ja4kvs6 wrote

So you thought you’d join em huh?

−2

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4l9bq wrote

Guess so. I’m not ashamed of eating healthy with minimal effort.

Popular_Dream_1460 t1_ja4lq2j wrote

Yeah that’s pretty apparent. Btw I know you won’t understand this at first but flavor doesn’t mean something has a high fat content. Best of luck with your life…

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4mxpt wrote

Worked in fine dining for 7 years. I definitely understand. When you get married and have kids and no longer have time to properly cook a meal for yourself, this is what happens. I don’t know you but I do find you as being unnecessarily rude. Everybody’s pallet is different. Best of luck with your life as well.

Popular_Dream_1460 t1_ja4na2s wrote

When I..blah blah blah. You know nothing about me and you’re full of excuses.

−1

ryalways2663 t1_ja4xjq0 wrote

it’s comments like yours that make me realize people on reddit are so judgmental and rude for absolutely no reason. let the person live for making a meal JFC.

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja5014q wrote

I was just thinking about how I’d forgotten how toxic Reddit can be sometimes. I just had a positive moment today and then they showed up.

HarlyQ t1_ja7qeyw wrote

Keep it up looks good to me! Never had grouper what does it taste like?

ryalways2663 t1_ja6fdf3 wrote

I agree, and also your food looked good and healthy. Ignore the unnecessary negativity.

Daanwat t1_ja4xp3k wrote

I was about to go off on you but my man you're trying to eat healthy and I respect that. Next time just do the same to your veggies as people did to this post. Nice and roasted

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4yr4g wrote

I enjoy your comment. I do love veggies anyway that they come. Just didn’t have the time for it but thought it looked kinda nice and wanted to be apart of the sub

Urc0mp t1_ja4evz1 wrote

I’m way into roasted broccoli and carrots lately. If you roasting the sweet potato, kick it up a notch and throw the carrots and broccoli in there at the appropriate times! Easier to eat and more flavorful, though sometimes an uncooked carrot or broc do hit.

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4fwxi wrote

If I didn’t have two young boys trying to kill each other while I’m trying to cook then I totally would have. Raw veggies are still just as good to me though!

Found_Onyx t1_ja4ivto wrote

as kids we often had raw fennel, cauliflower and stem cabbage instead of a salad.

Caleb8252 t1_ja53wv9 wrote

That’s definitely a meal of all time

Yagotsu t1_ja5i4n8 wrote

Kinda odd post. At least most people aren't mean. You said you worked fine dining for bunch of years, you don't prep during service. Prep time is your friend when the kids aren't trying to kill one another. Set and forget meals are amazing. Most of that stuff would have been fine tossed in the oven, a little oil of your choice won't kill a diet nor would seasonings.

Do your little ones like grouper? This plate screams picky child plate.

My close buddy did a raw food diet that I joined them on and it was simply the most boring time ever. It does help you learn some knife skills to make interesting shapes but half the stuff is just raw veggies on top of salad.

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja5j4hm wrote

My kids would never eat this and this meal was kind of a spur of the moment one. My main meal prep with this one was to time the sweet potato to finish whenever I finished sautéing the fish and cutting the cucumber and breaking apart the broccoli. My children are 4 and 2 and are quite the handful when I’m alone with them. But during the sweet potato baking I made them a lovely Mac n cheese with hotdogs because… well you know, the picky stuff. Used their food distraction to cook the fish.

Yagotsu t1_ja5jh0f wrote

At least they both like that! I always have the most annoying time trying to figure out how to feed two small children that don't both like the same thing.

Throws off all your timings! Glad you got something in you :D

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja5kj4q wrote

Some days are definitely more difficult than others! Tbh I probably wouldn’t have posted to this sub considering the such hard critique I didn’t know that I would receive, thinking it wouldn’t be as brutal as r/culinaryplating but I was in a positive moment and the food looked good to me. But I’m not going to delete anything just because of that. Have you had any luck getting them to eat different foods? My oldest used to love everything and has now reverted to only easy microwaveable garbage.

Yagotsu t1_ja5pmvc wrote

It is strange on both sides really. People just tend to like overly fancy dishes, ones you can learn a recipe from or possibly one with a story. You don't get to post any of that alongside the picture, so it seems like an out of place post when no context given. Post whatever ya want! Have fun, its the internet. Sometimes you'll get good responses, sometimes bad.

​

​

I wish there was a great trick to getting kids to like other foods but really just gotta keep at it as long as they are willing to try. From reading a lot of people's take on it nowadays...I guess I'm in between old people forcing them to sit at the table for 3 hours and young people kowtowing to any demand. Having stuff on the side to lets say the mac and cheese for them to try alongside worked for me! I'm not super healthy by any means but some of that microwave junk contains more sugar than a milkshake.

​

​

Time will save you for sure!

​

​

*Had to post again got modded three times for nothing offensive. And to go somewhere else if I don't like how it is modded. What a goofy place.

Majestic-Chain1905 t1_ja46k7a wrote

Personally I'd switch the sweet potato with a regular baked potato but it looks good

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja47hen wrote

I personally prefer sweet potatoes, but it was also all I had in the pantry at the time. Baked potatoes are the shit though, hassleback all the way!

GoGo-Arizona t1_ja4a65f wrote

I like both but sweet potatoes are yummy and simple baked like that 😋

SunChipMan t1_ja4hwhe wrote

I don't hate it, but could use some flourish. Glad you enjoyed it

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4k43v wrote

If the sub had let me title it appropriately, then it would have said quick, simple, and healthy. When my wife is at work and im alone with my two young boys always trying to kill each other in some fashion, I don’t get the proper time to spice things up. Plus I switched to a mostly vegetarian (pescatarian since I still eat fish occasionally) diet about 5 months ago due to health reasons. I absolutely enjoyed it though.

LeGuizee t1_ja4vks9 wrote

Well it seems like a healthy dish but Jesus. No herbs or seasoning to make the veggies a bit more funky

Towels_are_friends OP t1_ja4wwud wrote

Salt and pepper for the fish and butter for the sweet potato. Ranch for the veggies but it was in its own container that wouldn’t fit on the plate. Was meant to be quick and simple.

BigSchmeeker t1_ja8jq3g wrote

Is this serious or trolling?

Edit: OP seems like the nicest, most genuine person. Keep on trying my friend!!

dirtyymike13 t1_ja8lxgf wrote

Nice job eating healthy! Just an FYI… I think this sub tends towards food that has a little more flare than what you’ve posted here, but r/EatCheapAndHealthy would definitely appreciate this!

TheRuralJuror118 t1_ja67z7p wrote

I eat raw veggies but I’d never post them like this.

Responsible-Buy-9665 t1_ja40osy wrote

This meal could of been so much better with just a little bit of effort! 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️