Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jaatyjk wrote

I find ciabatta's relatively tough crust and spongy middle a great one for jus. It absorbs the liquid without falling apart.

Also, and more importantly, it's one of the few buns I don't screw up when I bake.

tree24hugger t1_jaauntb wrote

Both good reasons, and I do love au jus! I might bake it myself and see if my opinion changes. I would definitely eat yours!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jaavhsh wrote

I don't mean to be pedantic -- though I know I am. But to save you grief down the road...

When referring to jus in that way, you wouldn't use the "au."

"Au jus" is a French term meaning "with juice."

As you wouldn't say "I love with juice..."

Honest. I correct you with the least amount of dickishness possible!

tree24hugger t1_jaaw7nx wrote

Ah, good to know, and no offence taken! My time in France let me know that it was not one of my strong languages. Especially when they started talking to me in English, after I attempted to order in French LOL

waitfaster t1_jabe5e4 wrote

Don't let it get ya down. I just did a search for "French Dip au jus" and the majority (if not all, didn't check) list it exactly the way you did. So it is either a common mistake or just how it's commonly termed in the US (like so many other "borrowed" terms, I mean).

I mean I am looking at recipes that are "with au jus" or "the best au jus recipe" or "homemade au jus" etc etc etc. Not saying OP is wrong - just saying, don't feel bad.

tree24hugger t1_jadt03l wrote

The important part, is that I can still enjoy it, even though I spell it wrong... and now I have to figure out which restaurant near me has it on their menu, because I am seriously craving one!!!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jac9b0z wrote

I’m guessing just a funny translation thing. Even here in Canada, where French is (slightly) more common, I often hear the dip referred to as “au jus.”

I speak some French, and can grammatically attest to saying “with with juice” is wonky, but I’ve been reminded by a couple of equally pedantic well-trained chef friends.

But I also didn’t mean to cause a hubbub!

Call it what you will; just don’t call me late for dinner!

ptbo_skeptic OP t1_jac9ix4 wrote

Oh, and definitely don’t feel bad! I spelled ciabatte wrong! 😂

−1

tree24hugger t1_jabc66p wrote

I didn't expect this many downvotes from a discussion about jus, versus au jus. I guess we hit a reddit nerve LOL

EDIT: I just got a warning to "Keep it fun & friendly" Either I pissed someone off, or you have. I can't imagine this much anger coming from "au jus" alone LOL