Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

awcadwel OP t1_itj5j43 wrote

Hey gang,

The GFs mother is visiting this weekend and she suggested I make either rouladen or a schnitzel. I opted for schnitzel! It’s a wonderful warm, cozy, yet bright fall meal.

The schnitzel is simply a bone in pork chop that I pounded thin and “dry-brined” with salt, pepper and mustard powder. Panko breadcrumbs for the added crunch.

The krautsalat is simple yet so integral! The cabbage is massaged with salt, sugar and caraway. Sautéed onions, with white wine vinegar and water are added as a hot liquid. Chill for at least 2 hours. It’s incredible.

Lemon because…well it needs lemon.

Definitely a favorite.

Cheers!

ApplePie4all t1_itj5ul4 wrote

That looks really good. Love the color on the schnitzel.

BigPum t1_itj6k49 wrote

Ausgezeichnet!! Would love to see the rouladen too!

awcadwel OP t1_itjhjna wrote

Stateside I feel like we’d just call it a fried pork chop regardless if it’s pounded thin or not. But I’m it changes regionally as well, i.e. coke, cola, Pepsi

seemontyburns t1_itjmau3 wrote

A beautifully fried pork chop, but not exactly schnitzel

Edit: Folks, if you want to see how to make an actual schnitzel, and the difference between a fried cutlet, checkout out Kenjis recipe on NYT

−2

Akurei_RS t1_itk0oaa wrote

Looks amazing. Gurkensalat would go with it just as well!

xXtomtoXx t1_itkhj3d wrote

>The schnitzel is simply a bone in pork chop that I pounded thin and “dry-brined” with salt, pepper and mustard powder. Panko breadcrumbs for the added crunch.

this is everything but a real "schnitzel" mustard powder no, bone in also big no, bread crumbs yes, those looks like fried in cornflakes

Have to say tho looks delicious it is just not schnitzel

Stanley_No_Doubt t1_itklnqe wrote

Looks delicious enough TO EAT. Do you do a chicken?

awcadwel OP t1_itksbz8 wrote

I would argue that “cured” is the end result of a much longer dry brine. The meat really hasn’t changed. Where as “dry-brine” is typically a 24 hour period (or so) of salted meat in open air (in the fridge). Just enough time to pull a bit of moisture, let the salt/seasoning actually make its way into the meat.

But that’s just me.

awcadwel OP t1_itksio7 wrote

The meat while still on the bone has been hammered thin. The bone is much thicker than the bone at this point. Keeping the bone-in is more for show than anything but also lovely to gnaw on…

awcadwel OP t1_itkt1vu wrote

It’s in the spirit of schnitzel. I respect doing classic dishes to a T but it gets a little boring.

The bone-in is a fun presentation. The Panko Crumbs add a lovely crunch that I feel is missing sometime from classic schnitzel. The mustard powder was a last minute addition that added a nice body of flavor.

Not arguing with you, just throwing my thought process out there.

aberneth t1_itktgav wrote

Chicken fried steak is beef. The "steak" part refers to beef. "Chicken fried" refers to the cooking technique. Batter and fry it like chicken. Schnitzel is breaded differently and is pounded flat.

It's all breaded and fried meat in the end, but comparing chicken fried steak to Schnitzel is like comparing beer-battered cod to chicken fried steak.

awcadwel OP t1_itktj7m wrote

It was incredible. Was actually my first time dabbling in a more authentic German coleslaw and I was so happy with it. The caraway and brightness really compliments the schnitzel so well.

xXtomtoXx t1_itktlqd wrote

Ok you have gone too far Schnitzel is Austrian

Edit: don’t get discouraged it’s just a meme by now that us austrians like to bitch about not cooking food one to one