Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Sir_Rule t1_ixs0eyq wrote

What you do with your turkey in your own time is your business. 😄

omac2018 t1_ixrrpxv wrote

Turkey did not skip legday

Viperbunny t1_ixru6hy wrote

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking those things are thicc!

Bear_buh_dare t1_ixsuhd8 wrote

Very nice! What made this method gain so much popularity this year? I hadn't heard of the method in years and now seems everyone is talking about it

PaintTouches t1_ixsxqy2 wrote

Pretty fool proof method to cooking a juicy bird as you dry brine it in salt for 2 days beforehand and then with this method it cooks much more evenly. Alton Brown has a nice recipe/ video for it

shadownights23x t1_ixt8ez8 wrote

Is it ok to dry brine a turkey that has has came already wet brined?

TacoSimulator19 t1_ixt9jmy wrote

I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t draw out moisture but you’d end up with something irreparably salty. The wet brine has made it salty enough.

shadownights23x t1_ixt9ns4 wrote

Yeah... That's what I was thinking just wanted to confirm. Thank you

Adeep187 t1_ixt6ybr wrote

Def been popular for years. Maybe just your perception.

ugbaz t1_ixsw5sm wrote

it's the best way to cook a turkey using a traditional oven, in my opinion. I've done it two years running, but with heavy herbs compared to this. Looks great, the color is perfect!

Linxbolt18 t1_ixus851 wrote

I completely deboned my turkey this year before cooking it. It was a bit of an ordeal cause it's the first time I've done so (I've deboned a chicken a few years ago, but that's kinda a different thing), but it was so nice not having to carve the turkey after the fact.

That said, for the amount of effort required, I think spartchcocking is the winner. You get most of the same benefits (cooks faster, easier to brine and season, you can seperate the white and dark meat so you're not balancing overlooking one vs. undercooking the other). The only hard benefits of deboning are not carving when it's time to eat, and having the carcass early enough to actually do something with (i.e., stock).

I did feel like I had a better yield/less waste this year, but I also had fewer people attending, so idk on that one.

Ez13zie t1_ixroiqe wrote

Did you smoke it? Looks delicious…

Speadraser t1_ixs593z wrote

Just need a flagon of spotchka. This is the way.

lifeunderthegunn t1_ixsz682 wrote

I spatchcocked as well, but smoked mine. It was juiciest turkey I have ever had.

rannith2003 t1_ixt7utw wrote

I started spatchcocking my turkey a few years ago after watching a Test Kitchen episode about it. I don’t do turkey any other way now, also do it to roast chicken too.

FlatSpinMan t1_ixtkjqm wrote

I don’t actually know what that word means, but it must be obscene. You have somehow defiled that turkey.

tungpunchmyfartbox OP t1_ixulofz wrote

Lol we cut the spine out and broke it’s bones to bend that way. It insureds a quicker more even cook.

BruceGueswel t1_ixta2mx wrote

You’d do that to your own Turkey?

ElwinLewis t1_ixtcbl7 wrote

This turkeys got an ATTITUDE

designer420 t1_ixtf0nz wrote

I will do this for Christmas turkey! Have done many spatchcock chickens but never a turkey. Those all came out perfectly.

incawill t1_ixu4j23 wrote

Me Bean says yes please

chefbeastwood t1_ixuhkvo wrote

Breast and thighs are “done”at different temperatures, I always quarter my birds. Cook breasts to 150-155 and leg, thigh and wings to 180F or above to pull and shred meat from bones